Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
tatsurd-cacocaco

TAS (tools-assisted) demos

What are the conditions required for getting a linedef skip? I am trying to build a linedef skip for the yellow key on map 3 of Unholy Realms (for a new movie), and it seems that, regardless of my speed, momentum, or position, I almost certainly activate the linedef, and I only got one successful, ugly-looking skip.

Attached are two demos, one where I get the skip, and another where I am running faster at the linedef, and the skip still doesn't work (also my tangent momentum is 0).

Also, my map 01 is .40, but I couldn't find any significant optimizations. :/

03ur.zip

vdgg said:

I always get them by coincidence :) No rules apparently. This may be of help

Yeah, for whatever reason, I was only able to get any success by sliding alongside the wall. The strange thing is that I am not wallrunning when I skip the linedef, and, moreover, I actually have to slow down in order to skip it. In the attempt here, I have a MF38 SR 50 tic on the skip, and if I have anything higher than MF38, I don't skip the glide, even though I'm moving faster. In my newer, slightly faster skip, likewise, I need a MF17 SR50 tic on the skip in order to get it. This really does seem very random; I wonder if there's any explanation in the source code.

I've always thought that to skip a linedef you have to cross it kind of between the tics, if that makes any sense. Like, at one tic you haven't crossed it yet and at the next one you've already did. Doom's eyes blinked just at the right moment. :)

Memfis said:

I've always thought that to skip a linedef you have to cross it kind of between the tics, if that makes any sense. Like, at one tic you haven't crossed it yet and at the next one you've already did. Doom's eyes blinked just at the right moment. :)

I did also try to optimize the cross. In my attempts, I just barely do not cross the linedef on one tic (less than a half a unit away from it), and the next tic I'm over it. But even at a speed of over 18 units per tic I couldn't get a skip. Maybe the RNG also plays some part, but I don't see why it would.

By the way, here is my slightly faster skip, in case anyone wants to see it (with map 3 exit). Done pretty much the same way, just a bit earlier.

Don't add any of these demos to the DSDA.

03ur2.zip

Origwad Pacifist TAS in 0:01.94.

Edit: Going back to the old Origwad demos thread, Gusta had already mentioned the possibility of an imp thingrun; still, strange that a demo never materialized until now.

origx194.zip

Mockery Pacifist TAS in 0:02.69. Also includes the alternate wallrun jump route in 0:02.69. This should replace my old built demos in the DSDA (which were my first built demos), as those demos are also included in this zip. The old times were 0:02.83 for standard route and 0:02.97 for the alternate route.

mockx269.zip

Looper said:

Doom E1M1 in 7 seconds! Yay!

Nice! When I saw your 8.20, I thought that maybe there could be more wallruns to the first door, but I didn't feel that I could pull it off. Good job.

Perdition's Gate Map 14 Nomo in 0:04.66. Also includes my previous TAS demos and comments, so this should replace my current DSDA TAS. Not sure if it's at all realistic to get an instant glide in the air from an angle, but without something like that, 3 doesn't look very realistic.

pg14x466.zip

vdgg said:

Evilution MAP17 UV Max in 2:07

Nice demo.

A few ideas, if you're interested in improving the demo:

- Not certain if this is possible, but maybe you could move the barrels out of the way with an SSG shot which hits two adjacent barrels? I tried lining up the last spectre and two barrels for a bit, and couldn't do it, but it may be possible, I'm not sure. That way, you won't have to switch weapons.

- Probably more difficult with smooth movement, but at the barrel trick, I think activating the yellow door behind you while shooting the barrels might be a little better, as you waste time waiting for the door to open.

- Also, exit would be faster with a good glide, I think; even one that isn't instant seems like it would be faster, though a glide would probably be out of place in a smooth TAS max like this one (still, with enough manipulation, you could probably do it quickly without strafe50 on turns and without sharp turns).

First point: wasn't considered. Originally was done with pistol, reproduced here.
Second and third point: agreed. Though I don't feel like improving this. There are many inaccuracies and little use of infighting (arachno-revenant would be great), but the following went right and are not likely to happen again easily:

- big door at the start open after SSG pickup
- first arch-vile dies in 3 SSG shots (1 shot at barrels, 2 shots at AV)
- second arch-vile teleports as the very first monster

You're great with spotting stuff like this, so please continue :)

Ok, this is for 4shockblast (and for anyone else) who wants to help me fix my TAS run. So Map 02, barons are blocking. Thingy5 contains all the way to map 2. Thingy9 goes up to where the barons are. After many attempts, I could not find a way to move the barons from the exit. Any help?

help.zip

MD922 said:

Ok, this is for 4shockblast (and for anyone else) who wants to help me fix my TAS run. So Map 02, barons are blocking. Thingy5 contains all the way to map 2. Thingy9 goes up to where the barons are. After many attempts, I could not find a way to move the barons from the exit. Any help?

Well, there's still a bunch of things that could be improved in general for TAS. You should try to optimize further in general, including map 1. For map 2, the barons at the end block on random attempts; your best bet is retrying a lot of times and slightly changing your movement or incorporating random shots to change the RNG.

Anyway, you should work to bring map 1 time below non-TAS.

4shockblast said:

Anyway, you should work to bring map 1 time below non-TAS.

Here's a somewhat quick TAS I did of map 1 to bring it down to 22.51. 50% slowmotion, auto strafe50, strafe50 on turns, and rerecording.

aby401x022.zip

Ok, I wasn't sure how I could change RNG so thanks for the advice. I'm redoing map 1 and take more time on it. Later today, just because I can I will probably stream redoing map 1 to at least sub-24. I could use your 22.51 and continue, but I want to fully make the run by myself. It would be awesome if you could come, shock.