Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jeremy

This is incredibly.. curious. Doom 64 32X

EDIT: I don't frequent the forums much anymore, so I'm sure some of you are already aware of this?

I was browsing Youtube and came across this video

Doom 64 32X. This is curious, and definitely a "Did it just because it could be done". Interestingly, he chose to end the first stage with a death trap akin to PC Doom E1M8, however, if you use the level select, you can bypass this and play any stage with the Doom 64 sprite/ texture replacements.

Why?
Why not?

Download it here if you are interested. It worked for me via Kega Fusion emulator on Windows 7 64-bit. Although I will warn you, while interesting, it is not pretty. But hats off to him!

http://www.mediafire.com/download/38cc5j1psq2ep4g/Doom+64+32X.rar

lol sega fans are always the best <3

You should see some of that other shit out there, like "Avatar", Plants vs Zombies, Star Fox and Wreck-It-Ralph on the Genny too.

Thanks for sharing, this is most definitely weird. A pretty cool accomplishment!

Gotta love that awful 32x music. It'd be very cool to see a version with changed music and SFX.

Considering what the limitations of the Genesis/32X must have been at the time, this is pretty cool. Then again, Doom was ported to 32X, but the colored lighting feature of the original D64 is completely absent here.

No colored lighting because, well, near as I can tell, he just swapped out 32X Doom's first map with Doom64's, along with some textures and sprites. Having not used the tool I can't say for sure, but it seems to be a rather minor application of this tool.

Though, it does make me wish there was a half-decent set of maps specifically made for the limitations of the 32X (difficulties in controlling, weak system, texture limitations, and so on) simply for the novelty, since this tool does exist.

The lack of colored lighting, I'm certain, is due to the severe palette limitations of the hardware. Both the Genesis and the Sega CD were limited to 64 simultaneous colors (though palette swapping is possible), and as far as I can tell the 32x was the same.

It does look good though, and I'm surprised at the PSX-ish framerate!

GoatLord said:

The lack of colored lighting, I'm certain, is due to the severe palette limitations of the hardware.

That, and because none actually reprogrammed the 32X engine to have colored lightning.

The 32X can display up to 32,768 colors at once, though it limits screen size. Doesn't seem like Doom takes advantage of that.

By the way, what happened to that guy who was planning on re-porting Doom to the 32X? I think it might've been the same guy that did the Wolfenstien ports.

Jaxxoon R said:

The 32X can display up to 32,768 colors at once, though it limits screen size. Doesn't seem like Doom takes advantage of that.

True, they could've used the scrapped HiColor mode from the Alphas to at least give some uniqueness to the 32X version, but given that this mode was scrapped really early from the official reference source code, it would require too much extra work to recreate. Seeing how they half-assed their way through more important aspects like sound, I find it unlikely that they would ever work seriously on such an advanced feature.

Which is a pity, because given the architecture of the system, there probably there weouldn't be a performance hit (it might even work better with 16bpp transfers, rather than forcing 8-bit accesses on a 32-bit arch).