Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

ever wanted to become a farmer in doom? well, now you can. sort of.

little backstory... i recently played a bit world of wacraft. the mists of pandaria expansion to be precise. in one of the new zones, there is a town where you increase your cooking skill. in fact, the whole zone's theme is food which is quite nicely done.

anyways... in order to increase your cooking skill, you have to plant your own seeds and harvest all sorts of vegetables. i found this surprisingly fun, even though it's a very rudimentary system.

i liked it that much that i actually started to search for games that offer a bit more depth to farming. i haven't found one that i really liked. i want some sort of farming but only farming is just a bit too much.

so, what you're going to do? right! build your own farming sim with the tools you're able to use.

and here it is. a very basic, i would call it "proof of concept".

http://imgur.com/wizMy0p.jpg

here's the plant progression:

http://imgur.com/S5Yq29F.jpg

credits to the creator of the graphic. it's not actually mine but i don't know who created it either. it's from google image search.

here's the wad on google.drive:
(zdoom udmf format)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzxIGzGJnU7_Q1YtZnJEZ2VoZTQ/edit?usp=sharing

plz bare in mind that this is just a proof of concept. take a look at the code. maybe it gives you some giggles or even inspiration.

enjoy.

Shooting the plants with a powerful weapon makes them grow faster. Okay. Nice. I wonder if it could be employed in a way that isn't useless from the gameplay perspective. This "proof of concept" is pretty useless, though. But nice.

scifista42 said:

Shooting the plants with a powerful weapon makes them grow faster. Okay. Nice. I wonder if it could be employed in a way that isn't useless from the gameplay perspective. This "proof of concept" is pretty useless, though. But nice.

yes, this was the plan. i haven't found another way to make the plants grow progressively through player interaction. damage makes the plants grow. or more specifically, specific damage values change the actor state.

you could further refine this and create a special weapon that acts like a watering can and maybe another weapon that acts as fertilizer. both use different damage values. water makes the plant grow slowly, fertilizer makes it grow quicker. actually, the "thing_damage" acs script entry is just there, because i haven't created these "weapons" yet. my goal was just to make the actor change through player interaction.

you could also create special damage types and assign these to monsters. so, when the plants are attack by the monsters with a special damage type, you can call a special actor state, like the plant gets destroyed.

but other than this, i really don't know how you would otherwise implement something like this into doom.

Kinda remembers me of some level in unreal. There are some sort of gardens too, looking like this.

zzzornbringer said:

yes, this was the plan. i haven't found another way to make the plants grow progressively through player interaction. damage makes the plants grow. or more specifically, specific damage values change the actor state.

you could further refine this and create a special weapon that acts like a watering can and maybe another weapon that acts as fertilizer. both use different damage values. water makes the plant grow slowly, fertilizer makes it grow quicker. actually, the "thing_damage" acs script entry is just there, because i haven't created these "weapons" yet. my goal was just to make the actor change through player interaction.

you could also create special damage types and assign these to monsters. so, when the plants are attack by the monsters with a special damage type, you can call a special actor state, like the plant gets destroyed.

but other than this, i really don't know how you would otherwise implement something like this into doom.

i think this can be done using DECORATE.

Pure Hellspawn said:

i think this can be done using DECORATE.

yes, i know it can be done. that's why i described it. i just didn't have the time to implement it yet. i've just finished this concept with the basics working as i wanted it to.

today or tomorrow i'll try the different damage types to let the plants take actual damage from monsters. so, i can create sort of a "defend the plants" kind of thing.

actually, what i initially planned to do was to have the seeds as a collectable item that would act like a weapon. so, you would have to plant the seeds first and then they start to grow. but i don't know how this can work, if you want to let them grow only on specific surfaces.

invictius said:

I thought it was marijuana for a minute there. Actually that's not a bad idea... drug dealer TC.

yea, sell this shit. i heard imps have a craving for this stuff. :) of course, it's only medicinal.

also, these are actually supposed to be tomatoes.