Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
scifista42

Switcheroom 2 - Alpha 2

Sorry for misunderstanding. The stairs already worked correctly in the version you posted today at midnight GMT. You didn't have to change the stairs, but okay, now it works too. I only wanted the exit raising floor to be fixed - and that's not done yet.

But - the exit raising floor is not fixed. :/

before the very final fight, the floor-raising linedef can possibly be avoided and the monster pit would stay down. Yes, original MAP29 has it too, but I suggest to fix it. Place the line with action down by 2 steps (one step wouldn't be enough for a foolproof fix), or cover the whole top platform's edge by that linedef action.

Thanks! Now I believe everything's alright, or... Wait. Just a couple things:

1. Can you tell me what's the music track's name and where did you take it from, please?

2. When viewing your map and the original MAP29 in editor, I've noticed extreme similarities. I copy-pasted MAP29 onto your layout, and hey - some structures are identical. Namely the north-western (formerly wooden) room full of switches and sergeants, and the platform with switch and lost soul buildings around. This is not entirely right. Switcheroom 1 had problems with /idgames upload because of maps directly based on the originals, even if modified. That's why the project rules were advising you to make a map from scratch.

Can you try to... ehm... Hide this by reshaping the said rooms? Just to prevent such problems, please. Your map is really great, I only wish if you changed the two particular places to prevent possible trouble (which already happened once, in the case of Switcheroom 1).

scifista42 said:

Switcheroom 1 had problems with /idgames upload because of maps directly based on the originals, even if modified. That's why the project rules were advising you to make a map from scratch.

I just want it to be clear that not a single map from Switcheroom 1 was copy pasted from the original IWAD. The main problem Ty Halderman had was switcheroom maps looking too similar to IWAD map in the editor. Ty would open a switcheroom map in Slade & compare it to the switcheroom map & based on how similar it looked in the editor would either accept it or reject it.

I'll give it a shot,It won't be a difficult thing

The music I took is from Community Chest 4,and it's name is "Shrouded In Darkness" (based on "In the Dark")

Yes, it is very fine, I like the newly reworked areas. The first sector's lighting effect stopped working, was it deliberate? Also, once again I came to a conclusion that the map has too much ammo in it, so that the player always has enough bullets and/or shells and doesn't need the higher weapons at all, even though he gets ammo for these weapons too. I advise to cut down on ammo (all types except rockets) throughout the whole map, a little bit at least. Also the high supply of ammo before exit is not necessary at all.

Yes. Not enough rockets, and a bit too many bullets, shells and cells instead, that's how I meant it. But it can be okay to let as it is, fair enough. Are you going to return the lighting effect to the start area?

All okay, I'll consider your last MAP06 version to be final, then.

MAP11 still could use some improvement as I told you last time, at least in the critically important points.

EDIT: ^OK.

Hey sincity, just wanted to say good job on the MAP29-as-06. Looks great, has that techbase look, but is unmistakenly MAP29 layout. I was expecting a Spider Mastermind at the end, but the large group works well too (makes it harder to run past).

Couple of very minor nitpicks:
- These window edges are aligned on the inside of the grate, but not the outside. Pretty minor.
- This walkway is too narrow for the demon to get past... this might be intentional, the original MAP29 had a walkway that was too thin for a shotgunner (!) to get through and was stuck. Up to you.

But yeah, nice job.

sincity2100 said:

IMO, the ammo situation haven't changed much at all. And at the end, you give out full boxes of various ammo when the player is probably overstocked from before. 1 shell box and maybe 1 rocket box should suffice there, because most of the monsters kill each other anyway, and the player enters the next level too full of resources. I personally try to prevent this in my own maps, encouraging a more careful playstyle on pistol starts and keeping continuous playthrough balance in mind. But well, well, I'm not a successful mapper at all, even.

I've noticed that red key is missing on HNTR difficulty. By the way, the key is kind of redundant, and the red barrier can be easily bypassed even if it stays closed! :)

sincity2100 said:

I like it, but IMO you should move the yellow key as I suggested. Other bugs: The southern monster closet has many texture misalignments. One sector in the maze still has slime ceiling (it's right after the wall that lowers). I also think that most of your secrets (and some of the optional areas) give away too many resources each.

It's a shame that nobody else than me comments on the map. Well...

I still believe that you give away powerups and big weapons too easily. Pretty much each of them is asking for a much better and more threatening trap. Other than that, though, I think you've balanced the map rather well.

I think the archvile closet should open as soon as you climb the stairs, not when approaching the closet. Put the opening action already on the 1 next-to-last step. Also remove the invisibility from that place, please, not in front of a mandatory switch.

Tip (follow it or not): On UV, place 2 arachnotrons (or mancubi or PEs) to the exit instead of just 1. It will make the situation slightly more hectic, while not really difficult at all.

The slime ceiling in the maze is still there :(. In addition, the entrance to the maze (the switch-activated, fast lowering sector) shouldn't be lower-unpegged. There are still numerous TEKGREN and METAL2 misalignments, on various places - the southern closet, northern courtyard, the big room near the start, the courtyard's central building's inside and outside has misaligned textures too. I'm under an impression that the building is 8 units wider on one side than it was supposed to be.

Sincity2100, do you use an editor with 3D preview mode? If you did, identifying and fixing individual misalignments would be a trivial task - just fly around the level to the places I've mentioned. Beware, the "automatic alignment" feature is likely to betray you, and spoil alignment on multiple other places.

One more thing: The whole big and tall room near the start looks odd when monotextured by TEKGREN. Perhaps another BASE (non-city) texture would work there. Or lowering the TEKGREN wall and letting a sky texture take place there. Maybe shrink the whole room and lower its ceiling too.

Yes, it does. Still many METAL2 and TEKGREN misalignments on various places around the map, not that jarring if someone isn't looking for them. Metal switch inside the maze is still high above the player. The maze entrance is correctly unpegged now, but it became misaligned. :(

Otherwise, I'd say, everything is alright.

Alright and acceptable. Misalignments are still there, but we'll see if other people find them to be a serious problem. I'm okay with the map as it is. Congratulations, and thanks for contributing to the project! :)

Still, feedback from other people could be used here - anyone is willing to comment, please?

Regarding Sincitys map 11, basicly i think it's ok besides 2 things i've noticed during playthrough.

- the north and eastern walls in the first room right after the start look very bland, eventually it might look better with a lowered sky like it was done in D2's original map 18.
or you try to add something else to break it up like pillars, different textures and whatnot.

- whats the point of the PG secret? I mean it's not really a secret since it's just lying at the end of a hallway and why do you get locked in after picking it up?
The lock-in is basicly a neat idea but i would try to combine it with some sort of ambush.

Of course these are just some suggestions.