Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
D2Jk

Flaregun flares stop working on Heretic skill 5?

Hello,

I'll explain this a bit first. I made a custom flaregun for Heretic, which uses PoisonDamage, and a visual flare sprite that sticks to the monsters for the duration. In lack of a better way to implement this, I give the flare projectile a custom damagetype "Flare", and make the monsters always go to the Pain state when hit by this damagetype, in which they spawn the sticky flare sprite. Each monster uses their own customised sticky flare actor to ensure that the flare sprite sticks to the correct height (chest). Since the chest height is different for most monsters (heretic imp vs undead knight, for example), a little tweaking is necessary here.

Here's a sample code for one of the monsters:

PainChance "Flare", 256
 Pain.Flare:
  TNT1 A 0 A_SpawnItemEx("StickyFlareMummy", 0,0,0 , 0,0,0 ,0, SXF_SETMASTER)
  Goto See
The sticky flare actor for this monster:
ACTOR StickyFlareMummy
 {
  ReactionTime 180
  MONSTER
  +NOGRAVITY
  +NOCLIP
  States
   {  
    Spawn:
     FLAR A 0 A_ReArrangePointers(AAPTR_MASTER)
     FLAR A 0 A_CountDown
     FLAR A 1 A_Warp(AAPTR_TARGET, 8,0,36, 0, WARPF_NOCHECKPOSITION | WARPF_INTERPOLATE)
     Loop
   }
 }
Now, all this works well enough for skill levels 1-4 in Heretic, but for some strange reason not on skill 5 (black plague possesses thee); the sticky flare sprites just won't appear. I guess I would need to know what mechanics (?) exactly does the highest skill level change, that might disrupt the code above. Anyone?

--

And as always, if someone has a smarter way to do these sticky flares, I'm all ears. If there was a lot of different monster types, it would get laborous to do it this way, as you have to customize the flare position for each monster type (though not for color variations and such, where the size/height doesn't change).

Also, it would be great to have the flare to stick to where it actually hit the monster, not just to some predefined position like I'm doing here. But I realize that might not be easily accomplished. :-)

In that difficulty setting, a monster's ReactionTime is set to 0, normally; this is part of the "fast monsters" behavior in the highest difficulty settings. Your sticky flare actor is considered a monster, due to having the Monster combo flag, so it's affected. And since you're using ReactionTime as a counter, you know what happens when it reaches 0.

The easiest solution for this, is to put the NEVERFAST flag on the sticky flare actor. This way, the ReactionTime will not be touched.

I have the flares working almost 100% as planned. Recently I even made them check if there are multiple active on the actor, and if so, the sticky flare will use a different color.

But there's one lasting problem still. If the red gargoyle is hit by the flare while it is charging at the player, he won't enter the Pain.Flare state at all, for some reason. In this case the visual flare won't appear, since it's spawned in the Pain.Flare state.

This problem applies to all difficulty levels. Do you happen to know if the A_ImpMsAttack / A_SkullAttack functions are known to cause problems like this, by any chance?

You sure are a knowledgeable fellow. :-)

As for the problem, time to put the thinking cap on...

EDIT:

Just a bit of tweaking required still, but this seems to work:

Missile:
  IMPX A 10 A_FaceTarget
  IMPX B 6 A_ImpMsAttack
  TNT1 A 0 A_ChangeFlag("SKULLFLY", 0)
  IMPX CBAB 6 A_JumpIf(velx == 0, "See")
  Goto Missile+3
Without the velocity check, the imp would not return to See state, even when stationary after hitting something.

EDIT 2:

This is fun too:
 Missile:
  IMPX A 5 A_FaceTarget
  IMPX B 5 A_SkullAttack(12)
  IMPX CBAB 5 A_JumpIfCloser(100, "StopCharge")
  TNT1 A 0 A_JumpIf(velx == 0, "See")
  Goto Missile+3

StopCharge:
  IMPX DDDD 1 A_ScaleVelocity(.85)
  TNT1 A 0 A_ChangeVelocity(velx,vely,0, CVF_REPLACE)
  Goto Melee
They slightly slow down when close to their target, while at the same time preparing for the melee attack ("IMPX D" is the first sprite of the melee animation). If the target dodges, they fly past while still melee'ing.

The A_SkullAttack here causes them to charge 100% of the time, unlike A_ImpMsAttack's 25% chance. Things get rather hectic in highest skill level, as they're constantly entering the Missile state as long as they can see their target.

D2Jk said:

You sure are a knowledgeable fellow. :-)

As for the problem, time to put the thinking cap on...

EDIT:

Just a bit of tweaking required still, but this seems to work:

Missile:
  IMPX A 10 A_FaceTarget
  IMPX B 6 A_ImpMsAttack
  Goto Missile+3

You'd probably want to do that the other way around:

Missile:
  IMPX A 10 A_FaceTarget
  IMPX B 0 A_ImpMsAttack
  IMPX B 6 A_ChangeFlag("SKULLFLY", 0)
  Goto Missile+3
So that A_ChangeFlag is called immediately after A_ImpMsAttack, and not six ticks later.