Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Keeper of Jericho

Five Rooms of Doom: (32/32) - now on idgames

[i]EffinghamHuffnagel said:
-------
MAP23
-------
You start out standing in front of a teleport pad, at least according to the automap. None of the teleport linedefs work. According to an editor, they all have valid teleport locations, so they should. No idea what's wrong.

I don't know what to do with this, if anything. Project management can assume control of my map from this pont, if any error-correcting actions are deemed necessary.

map 22:
https://www.mediafire.com/?vp0u3l2yuke2slo

changelog:
-removed the last damanging sector (my bad).
-removed silly impassable line (my bad again, was intended as a block monsters).
-added a lot of extra ammo in UV (because i don't know how i though 100% kills were possible with a so tight ammo\monster ratio).
-added some cover for the lift in the 3° room (if the rooms continues to be problematic i'll just add a buch of cover anti-mancubi).
-added backpack at the start of the map, because scavenging isn't that fun after you die 30 times in a row.
-reworked last secret to make it possible to backtrack and get everithing before the exit.

EffinghamHuffnagel: you are the first one to claim that the rooms were too dark, the brigthness level is 128, so teorically you should be able to see pretty much everything that isn't a specter...
anyway thank you for your feedbacks.

map 30 is under verticles clean up, it will be ready soon(TM).

Soundblock said:

MAP23
I don't know what to do with this, if anything. Project management can assume control of my map from this pont, if any error-correcting actions are deemed necessary.

Never mind. I looked at it again and realized the teleport landing spots are DM only. I guess that's what happens at 2AM. Sorry.

Cacowad said:

EffinghamHuffnagel: you are the first one to claim that the rooms were too dark, the brigthness level is 128, so teorically you should be able to see pretty much everything that isn't a specter...
anyway thank you for your feedbacks.

Is there a correct gamma level to play Doom? Here are two screenshots from the first room. The first is at gamma 1.4, where mine is normally set, the second is at 3.0.

I did not re-size the pictures. Whenever I re-size a shot in Paint Shop Pro, it eliminates the gamma correction and saves it at 1.0. The same thing happens when I view the picture in Windows Photos or Windows Photo Gallery. Only Windows Photo Viewer shows the images correctly. Interestingly, they aren't affected if I take the shot at Visor full light level.

http://i.imgur.com/wyd6F7t.png
http://i.imgur.com/1BBqMAB.png

In the first you can barely see a Baron and a Hell Knight above and to the left of the crosshair, but only if you zoom in a lot. That's what I'm seeing. Something moving, but I had to get closer to see that it wasn't two Barons. Same thing in the last room. I could barely see some movement on the outer rings and had to fire when something shot at me.

I don't gamma adjust because to me that's no different than giving yourself a Visor. I think light design in a level is just as important as set design and monster placement. If you're intent was to keep things shadowy so a player has to fire his weapons to raise the light level enough to navigate, then never mind, the level works fine as is. I'm just a more methodical player. I like to see a situation and plan out my moves. I really do like the level, it was just frustrating me.

One more thing I just found, playing it again. If you get on the lift in the last room, linedef tag 27, and go up a level, you can run to the right and fall into the exit pit past the exit linedef and be stuck. Not very likely, but it could happen.

http://i.imgur.com/UJuhRlh.png

I just realized you could also fall into the pit from above/behind it too.

said and done: https://www.mediafire.com/?vp0u3l2yuke2slo

anyway, i see where you are coming from, this level is just frustrating to play, period.
about the darkness... at the time i didn't knew how to do proper ligthning, and the map reflect that, also the contrast between the luminous exterior (192) and the dark interior (128) make just the things worse when you first enter it.

If more changes are necessary i'll do them as usual.

since i don't want to double post, take a couple of screenshot from the new second and third room of map30. and yes, that thing is going to be huge.

i'm liking how it is shaping so far... and i am a little worried that my older and my actual style will be clashing a lot in there...
also the ios will not be an easy pray for freelooker (gonna fix the elevators tomorrow so they will be activated alongside the unveiling of the ios), well not as mush as before anyway, also i'm thinking of removing all the spawners (i've already reduced them to 2 and only on HMP and UV)since they aggravate the fps problems of the map.

fun fact: actually the map have 8188 verticles, when i started reworking it it had over 22k, damn past me.

DINGDING map 30 v3 ready for testing: https://www.mediafire.com/?9tefzud9fcwigtz

I tested it in zdoom and as i'm posting this i will test it in prboom too, just don't expect it to run on anything but -complevel 9.

Whats new?

-all difficulty leves implemented.
-monsters spawners removed.
-added two more rooms and a dummy room for scenografic effect.
-removed the unnecessary multiplayer only start rooms.
-repositioned said multiplayer starts.
-removed frictioned sectors, funny at first, just frustrating later.
-added 3 switches to control the ios reveal, so you just can't freelook in Romero face as you enter.
-done some other balance stuff.
-removed 14k verticles.

Hope i have not forgot anything... good framedrop.

Might as well throw out the idea for TITLEPIC/INTERPIC/BOSSBACK I had...

Oh hai Doomworld.

It has been several years since Johnny took his own life. His former best friend, Mark, has tried his best to move on from the incident, long since having dumped Lisa like the manipulative person she was, and attempting to atone for helping her cheat on Johnny.

Suddenly, as Mark is driving home from work late one night, he sees a passing driver swerve into his lane! He does his best to dodge it, but it is to no avail; a head-on collision occurs. Mark dies at the scene from blunt-force trauma.

In the afterlife, he finds himself in Purgatory. His life was mostly well-lived, the powers-that-be inform him, but cheating on his friend was a very grievous sin, for which he must do penance before he can enter Heaven. However, there
is a way to expedite his purification...

Mark's best friend Johnny was similarly sent to Purgatory for the sin of committing suicide. Unfortunately, his obsession with the events that transpired before his death have made Purgatory into a literal Hell for him - so much so, that
actual denizens from Hell have moved in to "punish" him, rendering him a decapitated head on a pike. This cannot stand; as such, the forces of Heaven are arming Mark with special holy artifacts well known to be effective in the arcane art of demon-slaying (ie: a pistol) and task him with eliminating the malevolent spirits that continue to torment Johnny, so that he may find peace and, eventually, move on to Heaven.

It will not be easy, however. Johnny has recently been obsessed with ordering everything into specific rooms; the demons have taken advantage of this fact to create their own worlds of five rooms each. At least 30 such worlds of five rooms, filled with Hell's nastiest, stand between Mark and saving his best friend Johnny.

Mark loads some bullets into his holy artifact, and heads off to the first world.

"Oh hey, demons, what's up?"

Okay, so it's a tenuous connection, admittedly (5 Rooms, The Room, y'know), but a fairly silly one that I decided to run with a bit. (Alas, the Icon textures depicted in the above image aren't used in MAP30, but at least the replaced audio works?)

This is what I have so far with regards to that. (TITLEPIC | INTERPIC | BOSSBACK)

Technically D_INTER is taken from this guy (cut out the opening and tweaked the piano to better reflect the original, but otherwise unaltered); haven't yet asked his permission for using it. D_TITLE was the start of my own attempt at a MIDI of it, but I haven't had the time to completely finish it. Be great if I had a MIDI of "I Will" for D_READ_M to complete it...

http://www.twitch.tv/johnsuitepee/c/5516658 = part 1 of my playthrough (pistol start after map 03), maps 01-15 covered.

A real mixed bag of quality so far.

Map 07 has a bugged yellow key trigger or something, since despite running GZDoom with Boom compat I wasn't able to get the lowered section that has it to, well, lower. Ran this map several times, same result.
Map 15 needs those lifts on the sides to not contain the same texture as the rest of the room.

Joe-ilya's map 09 ending was fucking terrible. A shame really since it was an alright map up to that point.

Best map for me so far was Carnage Canyon, with a close second being Hit and Run; nice to see a Tyson map once in a while that worked well also, lift confusion notwithstanding.
I hope better maps are to come, but I'm expecting overall quality to be similar to that of my experience with the Doomworld Mega Project 2013.

^ I'm eagerly waiting for the second part. :)

Suitepee: uhoh, well, i have already prepared the nerf gun for map 22, meaning i'll probably tone it down again... anyway thank you for your efforts so far.

I appreciate the time and effort you spent making a let's play, Suitepee, but, having watched your playthrough of my map, honesty requires I say I wasn't impressed. A lot of your comments while playing started to come across as whining after a certain point, especially since most of what you complained (endlessly) about was clearly the result of you playing at a difficulty level higher than your playstyle was comfortable with.

To each his own, but complaining about getting a brutal beating when playing on ultra-violence is kind of silly, especially since none of the encounters are truly unfair; there's plenty of cover and ammo provided to help you through, as well as some helpful secrets to provide an extra boost. The map might be able to use some more health packs, which admittedly is something I'm not too good at balancing, since I play DooM refusing to lose any health (and I reload my save if I do until I get through unscathed).

It's also kind of grating to hear someone smash your maps to bits, especially in the red-skull area, when a lot of the problems and deaths you encountered there could have been easily avoided if you had simply slowed down a bit instead of going in guns blazing and then expecting not to get brutally beaten for that (on ultra-violence, may I remind you).

Having seen all that, to then hear you repeatedly saying "I thought this guy was supposed to be good" when the map's punishing you for poor gameplay decisions really felt kinda insulting and rubbed me the wrong way. It's not my fault you decided to play on ultra-violence and then get whooped by archies. Pick a lower difficulty and you'll have less arch-viles and high-level monsters to deal with, that's what the difficulty levels are there for.

I'm sorry if I'm sounding harsh here, but that's simply how I feel. In your own words, after watching your playthrough, I was "not impressed". My apologies. =(

Lengthy response time.

Keeper of Jericho said:
I appreciate the time and effort you spent making a let's play, Suitepee, but, having watched your playthrough of my map, honesty requires I say I wasn't impressed. A lot of your comments while playing started to come across as whining after a certain point, especially since most of what you complained (endlessly) about was clearly the result of you playing at a difficulty level higher than your playstyle was comfortable with.

Oh boy, I've annoyed another mapper with my DSP-like critique again. :(
Alas I'm pretty bad at being like that during gameplay sadly, where I make snap judgments on Doom maps based off difficult encounters without good reasoning, and then later find out my approach was wrong post-map completion or that encounter wasn't nearly as bad as I thought if only I'd DONE IT THE CORRECT WAY TO BEGIN WITH!
That being said I refuse to play on anything other than Ultra-Violence; my attitude is the problem, not the difficulty level. While I am a somewhat casual Doom player, I have beaten some tricky maps on UV difficulty. I just need to accept that UV sometimes throws up encounters that require me to use different approaches or whatnot. It appears since you're the second prolific mapper on Doomworld to mention about my unfair critique that I shall have to continue making further steps to NOT be as much of an unfair critical asshat next time. (Tarnsman was the other mapper, he was more harsh as I'd expect) It seems my commentary needs further fine-tuning, as I don't wish to offend Doom mappers unfairly.

To each his own, but complaining about getting a brutal beating when playing on ultra-violence is kind of silly, especially since none of the encounters are truly unfair; there's plenty of cover and ammo provided to help you through, as well as some helpful secrets to provide an extra boost. The map might be able to use some more health packs, which admittedly is something I'm not too good at balancing, since I play DooM refusing to lose any health (and I reload my save if I do until I get through unscathed).

See above. I also tend to whine yet persevere to beat encounters I struggle with usually, which is what I did on your map.
I didn't notice any particular lack of health packs on your map, just a few parts of awkward geometry with the amount of stuff you placed on your map; it was nice visually but didn't ALWAYS translate well to the gameplay in my opinion. Was a nice spin on the whole 'Plutonia' feel though.

It's also kind of grating to hear someone smash your maps to bits, especially in the red-skull area, when a lot of the problems and deaths you encountered there could have been easily avoided if you had simply slowed down a bit instead of going in guns blazing and then expecting not to get brutally beaten for that (on ultra-violence, may I remind you).

I think sometimes I tend to take the wrong approach at the wrong time; for example going fast when I should go slow, and vice-versa. Otherwise yes, my unfair whining sucks I'll agree.

Having seen all that, to then hear you repeatedly saying "I thought this guy was supposed to be good" when the map's punishing you for poor gameplay decisions really felt kinda insulting and rubbed me the wrong way. It's not my fault you decided to play on ultra-violence and then get whooped by archies. Pick a lower difficulty and you'll have less arch-viles and high-level monsters to deal with, that's what the difficulty levels are there for.

Ok I'll admit I made that rather evil comment based off a few people in the chat mentioning you were a good mapper who'd done some stuff in the past, and I shouldn't have said that in all honesty. Sorry. :(

Anyways I should have part 2 of my playthrough of this up in the next few days. And hopefully this will be the last time that my commentary is brought to task by any mappers I've criticised, at least for unfair reasons anyway. I still reserve the right to criticise things fairly however!

Ahem! I'm starting to get the feeling that MAP17 will get brutally told off as well as MAP10*. Anyways, the fourth beta which I've sent a few replies earlier does fix the non-teleporting Archvile bug.

*Well, if Tarnsman does investigate through the mapset somewhen in near future, this fate will be unavoidable either way.

for what i was able to found out tarnsman did a stream about this, but unfortunatly it isn't avable anymore in the "past broadcast" section... i wonder if there is a mirror somewhere?...

Naive Tarnsman, NOT thinking that ALL of his streams are the most important part of the doom community.

Sokoro said:

Naive Tarnsman, NOT thinking that ALL of his streams are the most important part of the doom community.

Only most of them.

The very final compiliation will loosen the strain on my shoulders either way, and neither Suitepee's, nor Tarnsman's harsh critisism will make me change anything on MAP17 anymore. Just sayin', just to keep thread alive and to give some reason for people telling me "pull yer head outta yer ass already man".

http://www.twitch.tv/johnsuitepee/c/5529889 = part 2 of my playthrough (pistol start), covering both secret maps and maps 16-23.

The mixed bag of quality feel continues into the middle stretch of this project.

Map 21 seemed to lack a rocket launcher (or else I didn't find it) despite rocket ammo being around, which made the orange skull encounter awkward. Don't know if something needs adjusting here.
Map 22 had a bugged invisible wall of some kind in the Mancubus room, as the player goes up top around towards the red skull switch, making progress impossible. Not sure if this invisible wall was intended or not, but it's something odd which I had to noclip past to progress.

Map 16 was awesome, had a sort of 'Going Down' wackiness feel to it. New best map of the project for me!

I have a horrible feeling that the last 7 maps will be all awkward and difficult for me, as I noticed the difficulty creeping up from map 19 onwards. Hope nobody found my criticism unfair this time!

I do apologise for the invisible wall in map 22, it was a bug fixed a LONG time ago (with some other quality changes, also the HK were quite silly at that point, is an old map at this point...) that it seems didn't make into the beta 3 (if i was prior beta 3, but i can't remember now).
I would suggest playing the revised version of map 30 instead of the one contained into the wad, since i assume that still isn't implemented yet, a lot of thing changed from the last version.
Again i am sorry for the inconvenience.

keeper of jerico: i think we need an updated beta as soon as possible.

Memo to self: watch Suitepee's stream later to see what pit it was he had issues with in MAP20, and look into dealing with it. (I have the feeling I know which pit it is, but I need to be certain. At work now, though.)

Also, SSG:

Spoiler

There's a flashing panel on the far side of the slime pit at the very beginning of the map. Shoot it, and a wall lowers temporarily to reveal the SSG.

WHAT. THE. MORONIC. FUCK.

Perhaps it's a general fault of me testing my maps only on ZDoom, because installment of ports usually messes up my Doom library, but holy shit, how did those zombies at the beginning warp right into the room upon opening the first door? I have no idea, for me, it only worked after I activated the red key traps. Those conveyor belts sure have an unexpectable nature on their origin port O_O

[EDIT]Wait a second, which beta are you testing anyway? I guess it's second, because third already had the Cacodemon sunken in the pentagram at the end, I changed it for request not to be unfair against it.[/EDIT]

I'm quite sure he is playing the 3° beta, since the invisible wall bug in map 22 only appeared there.

Cheers for the heads up on using your revised map 30 download.

I hope to cover the final part of this tomorrow.