Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Searcher

Ghosts are driving me nuts

This time I need some help, please.

I am working on a Doom 2 map for level 28 the spirit world. I thought it might be interesting to have some ghosts inhabit the spirit world like in Icarus level 24 "The Haunting".

I am about one third done with the map and it appears to hold some promise.

What I have done:

As soon as you step off the landing pad at level start it starts a crushing floor (line type 56) in a two sector room that holds the "ghosts" and crushes the troopers etc in the troopers sector. The archvile just stands looking at the wall in the other sector while his friends get crushed. This part works fine.

After fighting thru the first leg of the map and teleporting to the second leg you walk over a line (line type 38) that lowers the floor in the ghost room. This part works fine. This is still several rooms away from the archvile and he can not hear you yet.

After a couple more rooms have been cleaned out he can hear you and see you when you enter the proper room.

Problem is: he does not recognize the several squished piles of guts on the lowered floor in his room as former comrads, he just runs around in the room and steps over them. I am using the actual troopers to squish and not the decorations.

This is, I am pretty sure, how they did it in Icarus 24. Any clue how to get the archvile to notice his dead friends? Hell, I have even shot him a couple of times to make him mad but that does not help either.

I have messed with this for a total of 6 or eight hours and can not get him to do "his job" resurrecting fallen friends. My patience is waning.

Have I left something out? Is my archvile stupid? Does he need to hear more than just a few shots?

Much more of this and there will not be any ghosts in my map, much as I might like to have them for this level.

I think the archvile only revives the dead frames and the explosion death frames, not squished bodies....

Deathman said:

I think the archvile only revives the dead frames and the explosion death frames, not squished bodies....

If you look at Icarus 24 and you will see they do it.

The archvile can make ghosts out of anything squished in a door or crusher. I have been chashed by ghosts from under a door in other levels before.

This is how it's done in seej.wad: The soon crushed monsters teleport in under a fast crusher from where they can't get to you because of impassable 2s lines. Behind the crusher is an archvile, it can also get under the crusher so it will eventually die too, thus allowing 100% kills.

They are all aware of you from the start of the level, but when you cross a certain line the crusher starts and the ghosts start pouring in.

Does not work that well with tough monsters tho, as the archvile would die sooner than, say, a baron of hell.

Could be that you're using a port that "fixes" this.

Thanks Espi

That is similar to the way they did it in Requiem level 23. But they never crush the archvile because there are enough ghosts to make up for the archvile's life.

I will try it out. Maybe this way will work for me. I am trying to make this for vanilla doom so no port will be required.

I appreciate the help.

Espi you were right, now I feel like a total dork. Both of the crushed ghost scenerios work with the doom.exe.

I was dicking around with one of the ports when they would not work. They now work fine, after making sure I was using doom.exe Duh!

Maybe someone else can also learn from my wasted time.

Thanks

there is a problem with this. At the end of the level, the kill count recognizes both original troopers and ghost troopers. Thus, if you have about 50 normal monsters, with the ghost crushers, the kill count can reach to about 150000%!

We are only talking about a handful of ghosts, so I would expect the kill count to be 105% at most.

Remember, this is the engine that says, on map30 -nomonsters, if you kill two dozen monsters, that you have 2400% kills.

thats because the only monsters on that level are spawned by the icon of sin, they were not placed on the map by 'you' the mapper, but controlled by the game coding; so the original count if there was no spawning would be 0%

Somehow i feel like im going to feel really stupid soon...