Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doom II Guy

Extracting Sounds, Textures ect.

Alright, sorry for all these topics guys but I'm out of school and I'm back to work on my project. Anyway, what can I use to rip out a texture of say another Doom level or something? Can Wintex do it? Thanks again for the help...

Yes wintex could do it. Just open the Doom IWAD (or the PWAD with the texture you want), find the entry for the texture, and save it to a file.

Or, if you're trying to copy the texture to another WAD, just click on the patch(es) required for the texture, copy them, and then paste them in the patch list on the other wad. Then go to Advanced --> Edit Texture, which will bring up the texture editing window.

Once there, go to Texture --> New Texture, and simply give the texture a name and place the new patches in the texture.

For sounds, do the same thing, just copy and paste from the sounds list on Wad 1 to the sounds list in Wad 2. Make sure they have an existing sound name, though, or it won't show up in the game.

If you use XWE, you'd to the following:

Open the original WAD (the one you want to rip from), and multiple select all textures you need. They are usually in one "batch". Click Edit|Copy. Now open your own WAD, and click Edit|Paste. Yes, you can simply copy and paste any entries from one WAD file to another.

Once you pasted all those textures into your WAD, right click on them (even it it's a 100 textures in a multiple selection), and select "Add to Texture". This will automatically copy the TEXTURE1 and PNAMES entries into your WAD from the main wad file, and automatically add one texture for each entry selected.

1) Is it for Doom or ZDoom? Doom can only handle it's own music format (.MUS files). With ZDoom, midis and most tracker formats, even MP3's are fine.

2) Did you name it appropriately? What is the name of your entry? It should be "D_xxxxxx". D_RUNNIN for Doom2 level 1 for example. In ZDoom, you can change this by using a MAPINFO lump (but let's not go into that right now.) If you don't name it right, doom will ignore that lump.

It's Map 18's music and I named it D_RUNNIN.mid for the first level. But Wintex can never find it. It tries to load "D_RUNNIN.MUS" I think.

Csabo said:

1) Is it for Doom or ZDoom? Doom can only handle it's own music format (.MUS files). With ZDoom, midis and most tracker formats, even MP3's are fine.

Eh, whoops. I use JDooM but it probably needs .mus, that should fix things.