Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Death Egg

Doom 64 for Doom II

After a health related hiatus I'm back at my maps. Map20 should be set in a few days. No update shots since I only have handheld net access at the moment.

Map20 is now fully functional. One secret still needs to be finished, some shading and mobjs placement and an alpha version is ready.
Monster placement is nearly finished. I'm trying to accomodate the mobj placement to multiplayer though this needs testing as I currently have no multiplayer buddies. I'm pretty fond of the integration of my own style into the existing map... Nice way to keep fresh and practice laying those linedefs. Map17 needs love too so have to hurry up.

Earlier in the thread, I got pissed off because Doom Builder crashed twice and ruined all of my work both times, making me want to rip my hair out.

Since that was a while back, I'm going to start fresh, and probably end up with something better too. I've played Doom64 again since then and I feel re-inspired. Expect something from me soon!

EDIT: I noticed Fisk is interested in this mapslot as well. Have you made any progress, or should I begin from scratch? I know the first few maps of D64 very well at this point, but I'm happy to collab.

So what would be the overall completion of this be by now? Last I checked, all but a few maps were done, two skies are done ans the level order is done

After going through what I'd downloaded, it looks like 16 or so maps were 'finished' -- expired download links and whatnot may have ruined this for the moment, as I only have 14 in the compilation I threw together in what trivial free time I've had lately:

I'll be looking to get things on track ASAP though, I should have a lot more time to myself in the upcoming weeks.

Finally, Breakdown is v.001 now.
Supersecret hasn't been implemented yet.
Thx to Ragnor for his input on above stated.

Took a few liberties during the conversion.

Automap

Random

How are the text screens being handled? D64 had very few text intermissions, iirc, theres only two in normal play, the gap between the moonbase and hell, and the ending. Should we adapt secret level texts for the map 6/7 break and the 20/21 break?

Outpost Omega's one should fit perfectly in the 6/7 one.

I actually really like the idea of this since Doom 64 emulates like dogshit and I CBA to find a real copy of it. This actually doesn't look that bad so far and I hope you guys keep doing good work on this project.

@DrNukem
Well, there is http://doom64ex.wordpress.com/ if the emulated version doesn't work so well on your system.

@BaronOfStuff
If you can't get all of the maps that people sent, I'm willing to chip in and fill in a few blanks. Since you're the project lead now, perhaps it'd be best to create a new thread so that you'd be able to edit the OP to keep more organized than having people go to the middle of the threads for important info.

And I'll admit that the idea of significantly altering the geometry by adding modern-day level of detail bothers me a bit. I'd personally prefer a more minimalist approach, directly converting the maps to conform to project guidelines without going overboard with enhancements. Though there's not much sense in entirely redoing these if there is a significant amount of work already done on them, and the prospect doesn't bother me that much.

Probably not. I'm sure it won't be allowed on /idgames.

On the other hand, PSX Doom TC does the same thing - allows you to play stuff you're not supposed to play if you only bought PC Doom 2.

So after 400 years - first incarnation of "Breakdown".

Please remember...
-work in progress
-passage to super secret is in but not the actual secret itself... input welcome!
-multi-player is rudimentary at best(slight map changes needed)

Shot...

Link...
http://speedy.sh/VAuXW/D64M20-61.7z

Very cool remake. Some minor criticism : in that room with the two hell knights, the bricks were supposed to be scrolling like that? It looks pretty weird.

Da Werecat said:

On the other hand, PSX Doom TC does the same thing - allows you to play stuff you're not supposed to play if you only bought PC Doom 2.

Technically, it's still pretty dicey even if you own the PC versions of Doom 1/Ultimate Doom, Doom 2, Master Levels and Final Doom. Unless you own PSX/Saturn Doom itself, you're getting questionable access to levels like:

*Twilight Descends
*The Marshes
*Threshold of Pain
*The Mansion
*Club Doom
*Redemption Denied

And if you don't own PSX/Saturn/Jaguar/32X/3DO/GBA Doom, you're getting questionable access to levels like:

*Hell Gate
*Hell Keep (console)

As for this project, many levels are being remade from scratch and/or heavily modified, so it's not a straight conversion and I wouldn't worry about it as much. Obviously, I'm no lawyer and am only going off of my gut feeling, but if anyone were to litigate I think they'd go after the PSX TC before they do anything to this project. Besides, I think modern day id's abandoned anything relating to the console versions of classic Doom.

If I ever finish and release Unmaker Edition (PC levels + PSX enhancements), it'll be through a custom conversion and patching utility so that the user can only play the levels they have actual copies of the originals. That is if my laziness doesn't get the best of me as it frequently seems to.

Pedro VC said:

Very cool remake. Some minor criticism : in that room with the two hell knights, the bricks were supposed to be scrolling like that? It looks pretty weird.

Good call.

I intended it to be weird looking in a good way, though on second thought it might be just weird looking - gone it is.
Due to the moving floors and the upper lower composite I hadn't much room to create a visual peak.

Finally I have a basic sketch with which I'll will go concerning the super secret. I will use custom textures and go the cheese route of showing the D64 monsters and make a visual hint towards the N.
More of a tongue in cheek secret...

Worked some more on the "super secret" and I think it may be good for a chuckle...
no special fight or anything, just a quick glance onto something stylized and then it's on to the next map.

Are Pitfalls, Unholy Temple or No Escape still open? If so, I'd like to take a shot at converting Unholy Temple.

EDIT: Oh, and how is multiplayer supposed to be handled? The bridges may prove to be problematic (unless I make the use key lower them from the sides).

EDIT 2: Busy with other obligations, don't have time to map for any projects.

_bruce_ said:

Worked some more on the "super secret" and I think it may be good for a chuckle...
no special fight or anything, just a quick glance onto something stylized and then it's on to the next map.

A++
Would rate up again.

Guest DILDOMASTER666
Death Egg said:

Just found my half finished map of "The Lair". I don't have time to finish it these days, I don't remember the state it's in either. Anyone can finish it for me.

I'll pick it up for you. Also: http://imgur.com/a/MgKgq screens of my in-progress Unholy Temple. It's been a long time coming. The switch sequences will remain a secret until the map is done.

Sodaholic said:

Are Pitfalls, Unholy Temple or No Escape still open? If so, I'd like to take a shot at converting Unholy Temple.

EDIT: Oh, and how is multiplayer supposed to be handled? The bridges may prove to be problematic (unless I make the use key lower them from the sides).

As far as I'm aware I'm still on the books for Unholy Temple. If you'd like to collab, shoot me a PM though.

Fisk said:

As far as I'm aware I'm still on the books for Unholy Temple. If you'd like to collab, shoot me a PM though.

I've taken on obligations in recent months that take too much of my time to map. So to anyone interested in the same slots I was: go for it because I am too busy to be involved.

This is a very interesting project, especially for me, as I really cut my teeth mapping wise by creating levels for Doom64EX. It'll be interesting to see how the maps translate to vanilla with it's lack of Doom 64 macros.

I thought I'd take this opportunity to share a Doom64EX conversion of E1M1 I made a few months back. I'm not looking for any feedback as I don't want to knock this thread off topic, but I thought it might interest some of you to see this process done in reverse.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/mlrfz4l86vlrj1o/e1m1.zip

I'm not planning on converting any more maps, this was merely an experiment. Good luck with the rest of the project.

Guest DILDOMASTER666
Dave The Daring said:

I thought I'd take this opportunity to share a Doom64EX conversion of E1M1 I made a few months back. I'm not looking for any feedback as I don't want to knock this thread off topic, but I thought it might interest some of you to see this process done in reverse.

It was interesting. Thanks for the share, the same process going in reverse could definitely be an interesting future endeavor I might take a whack at myself.

Its funny, because when you guys finish this some day, they'll get reconverted to PSX Doom, hahaha!

PSX Doom in Doom 64: Lost Levels, I dread to see.

Good to see an update - this should serve me as a reminder to finish what I have begun.
The E1M1 remap is looking awesome - only downside is Doom64's boring textures. There a WAY too few maps for the great Doom64/EX out there.

Liking that E1M1 remake, only downside is D64's generally uninteresting textures.

Not sure that remaking the whole mapset is a good idea but I could certainly get behind a "KDITD 64" project.

Now, as for this project... it's still alive, yes. I'm just twiddling my thumbs waiting for whatever before deciding on the next step (which looks like it's going to be "some of you guys and myself may have to re-do the maps with expired links" at this rate). Blame PSX Lost Levels. I've been doing a few not-very-secret things for that project purely because it's now oh-so-close to being ready.

Guest DILDOMASTER666

Here's my first beta-release of The Lair. It's mostly visual-complete, though I might change some things before official release. Map slot is MAP14.

Please note any bugs with my fake-ass MACROS Rube-Goldberg machines you encounter and I'd be happy to go bug-hunting.

Just wanted to come in to say I really like the idea of this project, and the maps look really interesting, I look forward to playing this for sure, keep up the good work guys!

EDIT: also, I think fisk's track is great! it would be cool if the whole wad had a soundtrack like that for sure.

If you guys leave the original tracks in there I'll probably play it with the music off... I just can't imagine the same old D_RUNNIN with doom 64.