Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dsm

For the attention of Mr Spike & Mrs Vampirajay :-P

You mean if you get killed at the start of 06? you should save more often :).
There's chainguns, shotguns and r/launchers available on map06 and a db-shotgun and plasma rifle on 07,

Stuck hellknight? where abouts is that?

Ok, I just cheated and warped to some of the levels where I had complaints before (map 04 and 05).
Good work - the lighting levels in both maps are now acceptable (well, the bits I've seen - didn't go all the way through them both).

Whoa, the pistol and chaingun sound like they fire sniper rifle rounds (did you snatch the sniper rifle firing sound from MoH:AA?) - it sounds pretty cool, but imo it isn't really fitting when the weapons with the weakest ammo type sound like they can eradicate just about anything (no, it's not really a complaint - I'm just saying that I wouldn't use this sound for these weapons if I made a mod). But it sounds pretty awesome and that's the main thing.

Actually, i think it's ripped from 'Quarantine' (remember that game? driving a heavily-armed taxi round a prison city, picking up fares and running over civvies? :))

Anyway, yeah i loved the sound. We were thinking of changing the damage value for bullets and making it a tad more powerful - but we abandoned the idea cuz we didn't want to make the pistol too damaging.

Spike said:

Actually, i think it's ripped from 'Quarantine' (remember that game? driving a heavily-armed taxi round a prison city, picking up fares and running over civvies? :))

Hmm Quarantine. Never got the opportunity to play it, but I heard a lot about it. IIRC the city in that game was infested by lunatic freaks, which were stricken by some sort of 'brain-damaging' disease caused by pollution of the water.

Spike said:

You mean if you get killed at the start of 06? you should save more often :).
There's chainguns, shotguns and r/launchers available on map06 and a db-shotgun and plasma rifle on 07,

Stuck hellknight? where abouts is that?

No I started at level 6 because I wanted to check the new maps out.

Most doomers prefer their wads done so you can play all levels from pistol start. Unless some kind of technicality (like a hub) would make it impossible to do so.

The stuck hell knight is in the room with the two screens and the two rows of health potions.

I've thought it over. Actually, I'm afraid that the modified pistol/chaingun sound isn't such a good idea - it drowns all other sounds when you let the chaingun loose on the critters.

Now, if you had somehow added a new single-shot weapon, then I think the sound would've been superb.

True - but that, in turn, is more realistic... dya really think u'd be able to hear yourself think if you were actually firing one of those monstrosities?

Yea, it's realistic, true, but it's a game - games are meant to only incorporate so much realism that it doesn't ruin the fun. I hope you don't interpret my comments as bashing your wad (because overall, it's one of the more fun wads I've tried, especially now that there are less frustrating elements like really pitch black areas in it).

Nah, it's more just me trying to justify keeping the sound in the WAD cuz i love it so much :)

Still, i'm glad that the WAD has been recieved well by people - i don't usually play other people's WADs, so it's hard to gauge the expectations of a player.

Now that we know we're getting it just right, we can carry on unhindered :p

Heh, I just realised that this episode one release is the "shareware" of The Underworld - next thing to release: E2 & E3 :-P

If you love that sound, keep it (it's YOUR wad) - I'm just saying that I wouldn't prefer it over the original sound.

dsm said:

Heh, I just realised that this episode one release is the "shareware" of The Underworld - next thing to release: E2 & E3 :-P

[/b]

Heh - somehow i think id wouldn't like the idea of me charging money for ep2 and ep3. Having said that, TNT did it with Final Doom...

If you love that sound, keep it (it's YOUR wad) - I'm just saying that I wouldn't prefer it over the original sound.

Decided then - we is keepin' da WAV. :) There was a neat plasma rifle sound too - sounded more energy-ish, u know? Unfortunatly, it was to quiet to convey a sense of power, so we left it out...

i am trying to find a way to make the mini gun slighty more powerful so that it matches the new sound but so far, no luck, but i am still trying, i'll keep ya all informed :)

yeah, i am gonna need it! it should be in the defs but its not so i am gonna try just adding to it! if it works i am not gonna make it to powerful, just slighty more powerful than it is now, IMO the mini-gun is the worst weapon (besides pistol) so i wanna make it better :)

Congrats if you get it to work, I'm still new at all this stuff but I'm sure you're more of a veteran. Just don't make it too powerful, heh.

Got some new features lined up for episode 2, too :)... how dya like the sound of...

a)moving floor and ceiling textures
b)wind that effects all 'things'
c)strings of events triggered by a single linedef
d)ambient sound

Heh - i love the doomsday engine :)

Wind huh? Just make sure you're not on a ledge or something that you could fall off many times, that'd piss me off so much.

Would be a challenge though, my friend - and what is a game without a challenge?

True - balance is required (pun intended). Think of it's use on high buildings (ep2 is set in Greece and the UK), where the wind can knock you from skyscrapers :)

Heh, completely unrelated but I just played you in DM Spike and I'm sure you didn't even know. I was Nimrod. It must've been you, because you were using words like arse and wakka ;) I lag soooooo much, my ping never dipped below 500! Seriously time to switch to roadrunner.

Yeah i know - i asked if u were Doom2Guy but u didn't answer. I managed a ping of 200-250ish, so it was ok. Thing is, after months of Jdoom, i can't get used to the bitty graphics! Argh!

Spike said:

Yeah i know - i asked if u were Doom2Guy but u didn't answer. I managed a ping of 200-250ish, so it was ok. Thing is, after months of Jdoom, i can't get used to the bitty graphics! Argh!

You did? Didn't even see it. I tried typing something in before though and it gave me crap about a bad command error, so how do I type it in then? Anyway, it was only my second day Death Matching, and I suck. One main reason is it takes a second or two to shoot after you click. This makes it reaallly hard to kill people.

Lag is always a pain-in-the-arse factor. I was in several UK Q2 clans (Scousers, KMA and TSCC), so i'm no stranger to online DM. I wish i still had the screenshot, but an english guy named 'TiGGer' and me went on a quake2 dm server, armed ourselves with a cyber-alien model and skin, and wiped the floor with the other 20 ppl on the server. Ah, those were the days...

Anyway, in Doom DM, press 'T' and you'll get a msg prompt at the bottom of the screen. Just type yer msg and hit enter :)

Where is this thing? I've read the stories (liked 'em a lot) and want to play the levels. But I have another question, are they big levels?
I have a 166 (on turbo) with a 8mb video card, so big levels either crash or aren't worth playing.

A suggestion to solving the problem with beefing up the chaingun:
If possible (I dunno, never tried manipulating with weapon properties), reduce the firing rate of the pistol and make the bullets a bit more powerful (say, 50% more or so - whatever appropriate) - the pistol,may be slightly more powerful, but its rate of fire will be slower - the chaingun, however, will be beefed up with equally extra powerful shots and the same rate of fire as before (I believe that making each bullet a li'l more powerful will add up and make the chaingun really dangerous.