Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

Why is fruity alcohol seen as girly?

dew said:

And you haven't mentioned even one "girly" thing, you merely dumped out a bunch of character stereotypes about women. Hunting, power drills or whiskey are surely perceived as manly, right? But would you call manly such man-centric acts as getting piss on the toilet seat, ignoring dirty dishes, wearing the same smelly socks for a week or forgetting your girlfriend's birthday? No, they're not manly, they're just bad stereotypes associated with men. Therein lies my ire with your "extension" of joe's awesome list.

I'm sorry if you thought I was picking up a fight with you - I, on the other hand, thought you just came to troll by intentionally missing the point.

Actually, I believe those stereotypes i mentioned about women should not be exhibited by any gender. Surprisingly, I see a lot of young men who exhibit those exact qualities I've mentioned. Thus, I've already seen first hand that associating these stereotypes with women is pointless. Because they are negative qualities that could be displayed by women, as well as men.

Let me break it down:

-Being a spend-thrift, that's bad with money.

People should learn to be frugal in order to ensure their own survival. I guess the spend thrift associations with being girly comes from the stereotype of women, foolishly spending money provided by their husbands; racking up credit debt. However, there are a ton of men who are also terrible with managing their money.

-Not driving aggressively enough;

I hear this a lot, sometimes from other women. However, women can drive aggressively too. I've certainly been cut off by a few on the highway.

-constant validation of appearance; seeking emotional/relationship advice from your peers; being hung up on one particular romantic interest; coping badly with rejection; these are all things are are considered to be "girly" as well.

Men are major offenders here. More and more, I actually see these roles being reversed between the two genders. It is rather pathetic as well. I believe people need to learn how to be emotionally independent, and a little more stolid.

Kontra Kommando said:

constant validation of appearance;

You know, I saw this and I thought of Cristiano Ronaldo. I feel our difference is in the defintion of "girly". You mentioned universally bad stereotypes, but "girly" things are perfectly fine when done by/associated with women and women only, at least according to the societal stereotypes. And yeah, my sister drives more aggressively than me, even though I tend to have a heavier foot on the pedal. Anyways, I shouldn't have jumped at you that way, no matter what I think about the correct application of the topic at hand, so I extend my apology.

dew said:

You know, I saw this and I thought of Cristiano Ronaldo. I feel our difference is in the defintion of "girly". You mentioned universally bad stereotypes, but "girly" things are perfectly fine when done by/associated with women and women only, at least according to the societal stereotypes. And yeah, my sister drives more aggressively than me, even though I tend to have a heavier foot on the pedal. Anyways, I shouldn't have jumped at you that way, no matter what I think about the correct application of the topic at hand, so I extend my apology.

It seems like vanity has become the most socially acceptable "girly" stereotype for men to exhibit. Also, I accept your apology.

Why is fruity alcohol seen as girly?
Because you grow up with that idea or follow the people around you. Anybody can ignore it, or blindly continue to spread the concept. Either way, people should just drink whatever they like...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Loko

Here are some fruity alcohol drinks that will knock people on their ass. Four Loko can be 12% alcohol by volume. Its ghetto a malt liquor/ energy drink regularly consumed by bums, and underage drinkers that only seek to get totally trashed.

Ironically, many young kids drink this fruity drink in great quantity to show off how "manly" they are.

Another powerful fruity drink that young people use for the same purpose is Jungle Juice http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jungle_juice

Edit:

Also, there's Mad Dog 20/20. its 20% ABV

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flavored_fortified_wines

I don't really give a shit what people do to themselves, just because the society drinks piss doesn't mean that I will just so I won't be considered girly\hipster or whatever insult the society has nowadays.

CorSair said:
Nice way to sidetrack into gender issues.

How he fuck is that off topic with the topic given?

dew said:
I don't know if this correlates with other nations, but here in CZ it's been said that young girls actually pick up smoking more than boys in recent years. The consistent anti-smoking campaign eradicated the smoking male role models and all that remains are smelly poor old geezers, but it's still cool and hip among girls. I'll go out on a limb here and say it's somehow perceived as mature and sexual, which is pretty sad.

Yeah, cigarette ads often aim towards the female demographic. At least in much of the developing world, smoking is offered to women as linked to being cool, sexy and free.

Kontra Kommando said:
-constant validation of appearance; seeking emotional/relationship advice from your peers; being hung up on one particular romantic interest; coping badly with rejection; these are all things are are considered to be "girly" as well.

Again, like dew said, that defines girly as weak and insecure. That's hardly just gender distinction, it's misogyny. The counterpart would be defining manliness as unhygienic, emotionally blind or inept, and prone to rape and promiscuity.

Cigarettes have been associated with feminism/gynocentrism for close to a century here in the west. Ironically perpetuated by the industry, not females. Smoking was seen as a man's fascination, dating as far back as the hookah. Big business just wanted to add the female demographic to their sales. Much like screw drivers or whatever the majority of broads I've gone out with ordered at double the coast of a decent beer.

Torches of Freedom.

myk said:

You should think about it when those situations come up because it may seem harmless but discrimination and abuse are made viable by a sum of little everyday gestures and acts like your habit.

Way to be completely off base. Friends rip into friends. They do it to me too. I admire you looking out for such infractions as equality is important but it literally has nothing to do with this.

Clonehunter said:

I drink Mike's Hard Lemonade. Does that count as fruity? They're alcholish lemonades are the only alcoholic drinks that don't give me a splitting headache.

Fuck yeah, I love that stuff. I actually don't care what is considered girly or fruity, I'll drink it if I like it. Society is fukken fruity. :p

Well, imagime if you saw a big, macho (non-submissive) leatherman drinking a strawberry-flavored pink drink with a colourful umbrella on top, rather than drinking the nastiest whiskey straight out of the bottle.

Maes said:

Well, imagime if you saw a big, macho (non-submissive) leatherman drinking a strawberry-flavored pink drink with a colourful umbrella on top, rather than drinking the nastiest whiskey straight out of the bottle.

Obvious faggot.

Well, as they say, "pick your poison". The human liver doesn't give a shit, it's all just drying out your cells and slowly killing you. If you want to taste something sugary while you're doing that, I don't blame you.

Arguably. There is a reason why diabetics stay away from alcohol. Arguably everyone would be better off dropping the occasional tab of acid instead of pickling the liver every Friday.

Technician said:

Cigarettes have been associated with feminism/gynocentrism for close to a century here in the west. Ironically perpetuated by the industry, not females.

And if the feminist approach doesn't work, you can always try vanity. Can't recall when I first heard of cigarettes being touted as appetite suppressants, or if there's any hard science to back that claim, but wouldn't be surprised if that persuaded a lot of figure-conscious teenagers and twenty-somethings to acquire the habit.

Doom Dude said:

Society is fukken fruity. :p

If you think about it, it actually is. The majority of the world is female. If combine that with number, with the number of homosexual men; the world is indeed a "fruity" place. Not to say that is an intrinsic behavior for those groups, but they are commonly considered fruity[effeminate] by the society at large. One thing is certain though; the majority of the world likes dick.

Sorry gents,

All Alcoholic beverages are girly because they lower testosterone levels.

SYS said:

Sorry gents,

All Alcoholic beverages are girly because they lower testosterone levels.

Furthermore, if someone drinks too much, they won't be very manly in bed, when the times comes to rise to the occasion.

I love girly drinks. They mask the awful taste of alcohol. They are colored like RPG health and stamina potions. Nobody has ever told me it's girly, I wouldn't care less if he did. I drink for the taste and aftereffects. I don't drink for social approval.

Also, have you tried alcohol infested Jelly Bears? It's the shit man!!!

Maes said:

I once saw a big biker guy in leather with a wallet chain and all that jazz sipping a little pink lemonade pouch through a straw. The contrast was fucking hilarious, It's one of the funniest images I've seen..

DoOmEr4LiFe said:

Way to be completely off base. Friends rip into friends. They do it to me too. I admire you looking out for such infractions as equality is important but it literally has nothing to do with this.

Ugh, so much this. I can't even imagine how fucking boring some people friend circles must be if they can't even make fun of eachother from time to time..

The only manly way to drink (skip to 1:20).

Kontra Kommando said:

4-5 22s of Steele Reserve (nasty high alcohol % malt liquor)

hey now, speak for yourself and the 99% of other people that somehow don't like what I consider to be a delicious beer. Currently housing 2 40s of 211 in the fridge.

Yea-ehhhhh-ehhhhhh!!!

geekmarine said:

I think the importance isn't so much in distinguishing those drinks as girly, as it is that by extension, non-fruity alcohol must be manly, and so there's a perception of reinforcing male identity through beverage choice. Ya get this macho bullcrap about "Only REAL men can drink this stuff," simply because it serves as a form of validation. "Yeah, I may not have done anything impressive or manly today, but at least I had a MAN'S drink!"

Yeah, also none of the people I drink with drink "fruity" drinks, so they resort to joking on the guys who drink Mich Ultra

Kontra Kommando said:

Edit: Though at least black coffee with no sugar is not that bad for you in moderation. That refined sugar they load up in those sweet drinks tastes like crap, and its terrible for you.

Edit 2: Also, those premium quality "manly" beers, are also a lot healthier for you than girly drinks. Moreover, they too have some beneficial effects on your health when consumed in moderation.

This is why I end up only drinking "manly" drinks/black coffee, not because of any connotation, just because after quitting soda 4 years ago i hate the taste of anything more than a little bit sweet.

Then of course

Kontra Kommando said:

These skinny little girls drank like men from the gutter.

I don't want to sound like Dr Fit-shame but this still frustrates the hell out of me. If I made myself like sweet drinks again and switched to those I'd gain back the 40 pounds i lost when i quit soda.

DuckReconMajor said:

hey now, speak for yourself and the 99% of other people that somehow don't like what I consider to be a delicious beer. Currently housing 2 40s of 211 in the fridge.

I certainly had my fair share in the past. Me and a lot of kids from various high schools used to all meet up in a big cemetery, and have parties late at night. Steele Reserve and Olde English were my drink of choice back in my teenage years.

me and my friends made a punk song about natural ice a long time ago.

Only problem I have is when drinks are so sugary I get fucking sick from the sweetness. Stuff like Mike's Hard Lemonade or Smirnoffs. However, I love to drink certain brands of wine that are considered girly.