Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bradharding

DOOM Retro v5.3 (updated March 3, 2024)

Brewtal_Legend said:

Possible bug. I was trying to play Crusades ( http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?file=levels/doom/a-c/crusades.zip )which I do believe is a vanilla wad, but there seems to be issue with sound clipping. On the pistol firing sound and menu sound. Not sure if it is engine or wad issue

Also, there is a crash when using this supposed vanilla dehacked patch. It crashes during the shotgun reload. http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?file=utils/exe_edit/patches/rebalanc.zip

**Edit to first edit:
The crash only seems to happen when using Ultimate Doom. The author might have made it exclusive to Doom 2? So it may not be a DR issue with dehack support?

I've just tested both of these. And testing them also in PrBoom+ produces exactly the same results. For crusades.wad, I guess that's how the pistol is supposed to sound (that is, awful!), and for rebalanc.wad, firing the "rebalanced" shotgun is fine in DOOM 2, but not in DOOM: it will crash as well. Thanks for reporting these anyway. :)
(Tip: I almost didn't see your edit. Best to either make a new post, or submit an issue on GitHub.)

I know you have a lot on your plate for this port, but there's map progression problems even in a 1996 map set. The lion-faced shoot switch is supposed to be able to be hit more than once, which doesn't happen in this port. These sort of things are the only things holding me back from using it for most of my vanilla play.

Platinum Shell said:

I know you have a lot on your plate for this port, but there's map progression problems even in a 1996 map set. The lion-faced shoot switch is supposed to be able to be hit more than once, which doesn't happen in this port. These sort of things are the only things holding me back from using it for most of my vanilla play.

Well, stuff like that certainly shouldn't happen. I'll investigate. Thanks. If there are other issues, please report them here.

Will do! Thanks for the quick response, as always. Also, are your shadows following an algorithm for sprites? Since Romero recently released a bunch of never before seen rotations for the zombie man and shotgun guy, also including pain rotations for the nazis; all of which have been thrown into the sprite fix project.

Platinum Shell said:

Will do! Thanks for the quick response, as always. Also, are your shadows following an algorithm for sprites? Since Romero recently released a bunch of never before seen rotations for the zombie man and shotgun guy, also including pain rotations for the nazis; all of which have been thrown into the sprite fix project.

All fixed! Thanks again.

As for the shadows, they're generated dynamically, so no changes will be needed there.

Platinum Shell said:

:V

I'm assuming to apply that fix I'd need to compile from the source code right? I haven't the slightest on how to do that. But I'd like to learn.

I'd recommend downloading Visual Studio Community 2013. But I'll PM you a link to a build with the fix.

Also, not sure if this is a feature or not, but I've had a couple of imps gib from the SSG. I'm guessing it is since a 5-15 damage pellet can't do 62+ damage. Kind of like it, actually.

Very brütal. Also, I know this port obviously aims for a retro feel, but would you object to adding a secrets counter or some other kind of indicator?

Platinum Shell said:

Very brütal. Also, I know this port obviously aims for a retro feel, but would you object to adding a secrets counter or some other kind of indicator?

If not an actual in-game total, I'd be happy just to have a message or sound for secrets. I'm aware that this makes some maps act strangely (one TNT map, I think, has an entire staircase tagged as secret), but there is something satisfying about a nice little jingle.

Random segfaults on the Linux build, after about a minute of play, can't get past the second room on e1m1

WildWeasel said:

If not an actual in-game total, I'd be happy just to have a message or sound for secrets. I'm aware that this makes some maps act strangely (one TNT map, I think, has an entire staircase tagged as secret), but there is something satisfying about a nice little jingle.

I've been considering this, as it's been suggested before. Maybe in the next version. And as for any maps from the official IWADs that have too many unnecessary secret linedefs, I'd put in specific fixes for.

Nixot said:

Random segfaults on the Linux build, after about a minute of play, can't get past the second room on e1m1

And this is why it's "unsupported". If anyone has the time and inclination to trace why these crashes are occurring, I'd greatly appreciate it! :)

bradharding said:

As for the shadows, they're generated dynamically, so no changes will be needed there.

In layman's terms, how do your shadows work?

kb1 said:

In layman's terms, how do your shadows work?

For each map object that gets a shadow, another map object is created in the same spot. The shadow's sprite is updated when the object's sprite is, squashed to 10% of its height, and drawn in translucent black. The shadow's z-position is updated to the floor height of wherever the object is.

So, any chance for 60 fps capabilities in the future? If not, can somebody please tell me how to render zDoom so it makes the aspect ratio square on my monitor (4:3 I believe was the original?) instead of 16:9. Thanks

RUSH said:

So, any chance for 60 fps capabilities in the future? If not, can somebody please tell me how to render zDoom so it makes the aspect ratio square on my monitor (4:3 I believe was the original?) instead of 16:9. Thanks

If you go into the Video Options menu at the top there are options for setting your aspect ratio. You can force what you like there. :)

Average said:

If you go into the Video Options menu at the top there are options for setting your aspect ratio. You can force what you like there. :)

Graphic card setup might be necessary, as well. I remember my previous card had option stretch, regardless of proportion, checked by default.

But that’s offtopic.

bradharding said:

For each map object that gets a shadow, another map object is created in the same spot. The shadow's sprite is updated when the object's sprite is, squashed to 10% of its height, and drawn in translucent black. The shadow's z-position is updated to the floor height of wherever the object is.

So you actually generate a new sprite at run time based on the sprite being displayed? Nice!

sorry if doing this doesn't have to do with the engine itself, but are you planning on adding support for the newly released original full rotation sprites by Romero?

I don't believe they need any support since they fill in frames that engines already were mirroring...however, I do notice some bad jittering with a few things while using the sprite fix with this port; short blue torches jitter to the left and health bonuses and megaspheres sink into the ground for a frame.

How does the priority order work for loading multiple pwads? I've been having some issues loading a couple pwads when playing.

The issue is described on this thread page of the sprite fixing project:
http://www.doomworld.com/vb/showthread.php?postid=1330125#post1330125

Can't get the sprite fix project to load along with this one properly: http://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/71169-i-made-a-thing-tiny-weapons-sprite-mod-based-on-scifista42-dehacked/

I'me loading them by using the crtl_click method in the launcher.

Just posting here cause wasn't sure if it was a bug or really worth posting as an issue in github page.

Platinum Shell said:

I do notice some bad jittering with a few things while using the sprite fix with this port; short blue torches jitter to the left and health bonuses and megaspheres sink into the ground for a frame.

I'm pretty sure Doom Retro hardcodes in fixes for jittering sprites by tweaking the offsets of certain frames. So loading a fixed sprites WAD will actually make those frames appear to move in the other direction.

edit: haha yeah Doom Retro actually incorporates stuff directly from the Minor Sprite Fixing Project, and thereby accidentally breaks when you actually use the Minor Sprite Fixing Project.

edit 2: Looking at the source, I see:

if (i < iwad_sprites.numlumps && lump->size != iwad_sprites.lumps[i].size)
{
	int j = 0;
	while (sproffsets[j].name[0])
	{
		if (!strcasecmp(sproffsets[j].name, lump->name))
			sproffsets[j].canmodify = false;
		j++;
	}
}
Which looks to me like Doom Retro will ignore the hardcoded offset changes if there is a new PWAD sprite frame, but only if it is a different size (probably to account for the possibility that someone accidentally merged IWAD sprites into their PWAD)... but since the Minor Sprite Fixing Project is literally the exact same sprites but just shifted a little, they have the exact same size anyway, and so Doom Retro doesn't realize they're actually different. That's a pretty hilarious unintended consequence.

This kind of fixes should be limited to IWAD resources only. (And the IWAD needs to be authenticated as needing these fixes, for example with a sha1/md5/crc32 check, to avoid applying a Doom sprite tweak on a Freedoom sprite for example).

It's relatively easy to know whether a lump comes from the IWAD or not, by looking at its number.