Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Janizdreg

Chocolate Doom

Thanks for the update. But in this report you didn't actually provide the MIDI file or name the WAD containing it, so it's impossible for me to reproduce the problem. Can you please upload it somewhere for me?

Cool!

Even as a total linux noob I managed to get it compiled in Linux Mint, thanks to all the good documentation available on chocolate-doom's website.

I really like using Chocolate Doom/Heretic, but I've encountered an annoying problem that maybe you guys can help me out with?

I like to select Native MIDI or GUS to process the music, but whenever I do that, the music is too loud. When I want to decrease the volume of it, whether it be in Chocolate Doom setup or in-game settings, it decreases the SFX volume as well.

When I tried adjusting the SFX slider, it worked as intended, reducing the volume only for the sound effects.

Can anyone help pinpoint the problem here? If that helps, my sound card is an external M-Audio Fast Track C400 USB card. I've tried using the default integrated sound card on my laptop instead, but the results were the same.

What OS are you running?

I've had the same experience with SDL based engines in Windows 7 and found that using Timidity was a good solution.

http://www.doomworld.com/vb/source-ports/50375-how-to-timidity-for-prboom-plus-and-zdoom-variants-on-windows/

The steps for prboom-plus should be pretty much the same for chocolate-doom, except in chocolate-doom setup you can specify the location of the timidity.cfg file.

MB_is_me said:

I like to select Native MIDI or GUS to process the music, but whenever I do that, the music is too loud. When I want to decrease the volume of it, whether it be in Chocolate Doom setup or in-game settings, it decreases the SFX volume as well.

This is a SDL bug that should only occur with MIDI on Windows, it doesn't if you select GUS. If it does, then it's new.

To use GUS emulation you need some GUS patch files, right?

The port's release doesn't include them.

fraggle said:

This is covered in the documentation. The GUS patches are copyright protected and so I can't include them with Chocolate Doom. But you can download the GUS patches from idgames.

Somebody asked me to tell what kind of OS I'm using - I'm using Windows 7 x64. I've tried downloading the GUS patches, and I've set up everything just like the readme asked me to, but now I simply don't hear music at all - I can move the music slider up and down all day long, and while it doesn't affect the SFX volume anymore, there's no music anymore.

Edit: also, I'm upgrading to Windows 8.1 in the next few days (hooray for student pricing!), so maybe I shouldn't bother with fixing this issue; maybe Windows 8.1 users don't encounter this problem?

Edit 2: nope, the problem persists on Windows 8.1.

XCOPY said:

Trying to compile chocolate-doom 2.1.0 on ms visual studio 2005 and got this

http://pastebin.com/3Lcy2yK6

help please, i want to play with this source a bit

The '_deh_section_bexstr' error is easily fixable by including the missing file 'deh_bexstr.c' to the 'doom/' project folder. The other errors seem strange especially the "device content" ones.

Have you tried compiling the "non game" stuff like...
'/libopl',
'/libpcsound'
'/libtextstring',

etc. before the actual engine?

Make sure you are not ignoring default libraries. Make sure you are linking with advapi32.lib and user32.lib. If you cannot find these .lib files under your Visual Studio install's bin directory, then you need to install the Microsoft Windows SDK in a version that is compatible with Visual Studio 2005.

Also, is there any good reason you're using 2005? I can't see any reason not to grab a newer Visual Studio version than that. It's extremely dated.

I'm compiling the sources with 2005 and no errors despite the "bex string" file which isn't included in the project's "/doom" path/filter.
Just installed 2005 and it compiles.

@XCOPY: have you used an .sln converter for the msvc project which is in 2008 format if I remember correctly...

XCOPY said:

The opl ones I (actually fabian heh) solved using Crispy Doom's project files.
[...]
Do not forget to download these files (you can find them in Crispy Doom repository):

Heh, sorry, but I don't remember I have ever touched these files. Moreover, I have never ever built Crispy Doom with MSVC myself.

It seems that Chocolate Hexen 2.1.0 has issues with custom textures; when I tried to test a texture WAD I'm building it kept throwing R_InitTextures: Missing patch in texture errors. The WAD works in DOSBoxed vanilla (and in ZDoom, for that matter).

ETTiNGRiNDER said:

It seems that Chocolate Hexen 2.1.0 has issues with custom textures; when I tried to test a texture WAD I'm building it kept throwing R_InitTextures: Missing patch in texture errors. The WAD works in DOSBoxed vanilla (and in ZDoom, for that matter).

Thanks, but it's hard to investigate the problem without having the WAD to test it with. You didn't indicate the name of the WAD. Is this an unreleased WAD that you made yourself? If you can provide me a copy that I can use to debug with, I'll take a look and see if I can fix it.

Thanks for the WAD. I found and fixed the problem.

I'm actually kind of surprised that this didn't cause problems with the IWAD textures - by a coincidence they mostly all seem to have short names and so weren't affected. But there might be other Hexen PWADs out there affected by this bug.

Out of curiosity, is there any way of choosing the midi output device other than hacking sdl_mixer.dll? I like Windows 8, but it's lack of default MIDI output options is frustrating.

I can't seem to extract the files of the latest version of chocolate doom. anyone knows what's going on?

Breezeep said:

I can't seem to extract the files of the latest version of chocolate doom. anyone knows what's going on?

Hey mate, are you getting any errors in particular? I had the same issue, I couldn't extract chocolate-doom-setup.exe as my AV Bitdefender believed it was malware. I had an error that I needed administrator permission to extract/use it (despite being the admin). I managed to extract it to a directory without dragging and dropping (on 7z) but the file was then quarantined. At least that allowed me to specify to my AV that it was harmless. Maybe your AV is doing something similar?

No idea why fraggle but bitdefender was throwing up a false positive for chocolate-doom-setup.exe, not sure if that's new or a normal occurence but thought I should let you know. Awesome source port by the way, my absolute favourite and really shows the thought and design that went into it.

s_mirage said:

Out of curiosity, is there any way of choosing the midi output device other than hacking sdl_mixer.dll? I like Windows 8, but it's lack of default MIDI output options is frustrating.

This is kind of a limitation of SDL_mixer (it doesn't provide any interface to let you specify this). But someone on Twitter found a workaround. I haven't got round to adding it to the documentation yet.

vadrig4r said:

Hey mate, are you getting any errors in particular? I had the same issue, I couldn't extract chocolate-doom-setup.exe as my AV Bitdefender believed it was malware. I had an error that I needed administrator permission to extract/use it (despite being the admin).

This is rather disturbing news, and the first time I've heard of this happening.

The administrator permissions thing is reminiscent of a problem I had in the past where Windows would insist on requesting admin permissions to run the setup tool because it had "setup" in the name, and many installers are named something like setup.exe. This was fixed by adding a special XML manifest into the .exe file, but I hope this bug hasn't come back again.

What version of Windows are you using?

This is rather disturbing news, and the first time I've heard of this happening.

The administrator permissions thing is reminiscent of a problem I had in the past where Windows would insist on requesting admin permissions to run the setup tool because it had "setup" in the name, and many installers are named something like setup.exe. This was fixed by adding a special XML manifest into the .exe file, but I hope this bug hasn't come back again.

What version of Windows are you using? [/B]

Windows 7 Professional SP1 (64 bit). I actually endedup removing Bitdefender because of that frustrating behaviour and using something else. Hope that helps and let me know if you need anything else.

fraggle said:

Probably an heuristic based false positive in the AV software. It may look for and flag unrecognized "setup" programs in general and ignores any manifests that may be in them. Either that or some particular code you're using is just close enough to some known malware. Reading registry keys for example might be one thing that sets it off, as an educated guess.

The setup tool almost certainly reads registry keys to locate installed IWADs and determine which games are installed.