Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Clusterone666

Community Christmas Megawad (Working Title) OP updated constantly!

Doomhuntress said:

*Sniff* Oh so beautiful, bro! :,)

The one I liked most was You Are Not (What You Think You Are) (Revise). Even more epic when I listened to this on SLADE 3 with the Weeds General Midi Soundfont. So totally listening to that while I work on XMAS02 of XmasDM22014.wad.

Omegalore, Obake, Doomhuntress...
These are all looking fantastic! (In Doomhuntress's case sounds fantastic!) Keep up the good work!
Really making me excited to start the mapping process and even more excited to see the final result!

Clusterone666 said:

texture artists like Shadow Hog and such.

I never really considered myself a texture artist, just a guy who can play with the Levels setting in Photoshop and make textures icy blue.

Speaking of, this WAD here is basically the texture pack I'd been working with. I've included several art assets from SRB2 from back when A. it had an Xmas mode and B. it used the Doom palette instead of its own thing - I figure they're not going to care, since I'm on the team producing it and all that. Also rolled in the textures from max.wad and the Santcubus; left out the DECORATE/audio from max.wad (dunno if we want to alter enemy behavior just yet) and some other suggested texture packs mentioned early on in the thread (no idea whether we're using those or not). This is actually all in Boom format (PNAMES/TEXTURE2/ANIMATED/SWITCHES), so you can develop Boom-format maps with these as well.

Also replaced the Dead Lost Soul Thing with a snow generator - generates snow in a 128x128 square centered on where the Thing was placed in the map. Being a DECORATE object, however, it's ZDoom only, which is why it's the Dead Lost Soul I replaced; other ports will just use that, and those'll vanish within a few tics.

obake said:

A new switch texture, hot out of the oven!

http://www.mediafire.com/download/onm93f4hdgx70on/cswiw.wad+-+Shortcut.zip

I was going to upload this along with a preview picture hours ago, but today has not been good. Mainly, Slade 3 completely crashed and I've been busy trying to get the ding-dang thing to work, with no success.

Anyways, I hope you enjoy. :)

I'd have included this, too, but it's just a shortcut, without the file it's a shortcut to. :\

Shadow Hog said:

I never really considered myself a texture artist, just a guy who can play with the Levels setting in Photoshop and make textures icy blue.

Speaking of, this WAD here is basically the texture pack I'd been working with. I've included several art assets from SRB2 from back when A. it had an Xmas mode and B. it used the Doom palette instead of its own thing - I figure they're not going to care, since I'm on the team producing it and all that. Also rolled in the textures from max.wad and the Santcubus; left out the DECORATE/audio from max.wad (dunno if we want to alter enemy behavior just yet) and some other suggested texture packs mentioned early on in the thread (no idea whether we're using those or not). This is actually all in Boom format (PNAMES/TEXTURE2/ANIMATED/SWITCHES), so you can develop Boom-format maps with these as well.

Also replaced the Dead Lost Soul Thing with a snow generator - generates snow in a 128x128 square centered on where the Thing was placed in the map. Being a DECORATE object, however, it's ZDoom only, which is why it's the Dead Lost Soul I replaced; other ports will just use that, and those'll vanish within a few tics.

I'd have included this, too, but it's just a shortcut, without the file it's a shortcut to. :\

That is going to be wonderful, thanks mate!
Yeah that should definitely help and speed things up some dramatically with more textures.
I'm hoping that eventually we can edit enemy behaviour eventually, but if not than all is well. :)
And in regards of the texture pack, that's all still up in the air till I get someone who can compile everything in one nicely wrapped wad. :P
Either way I like the idea of the dead lost soul as snow.
Especially at 128x128.
That should be a easy drop in for mappers on this project.

Question, do you really think you can churn out, playtest and finalize 32 maps in 5 weeks?

Glaice said:

Question, do you really think you can churn out, playtest and finalize 32 maps in 5 weeks?

It was decided that it would be done, when it is done.
There won't be a soft deadline till we get the textures/DECORATE/etc. done and start actually working on the mapping. Once the mapping is underway I will impose a soft deadline.
(It's my first project so I was a little confused how it all worked)
However, the plan is to have it done around next christmas time. (That's a HUGE soft deadline).

Clusterone666 said:

It was decided that it would be done, when it is done.
There won't be a soft deadline till we get the textures/DECORATE/etc. done and start actually working on the mapping. Once the mapping is underway I will impose a soft deadline.
(It's my first project so I was a little confused how it all worked)
However, the plan is to have it done around next christmas time. (That's a HUGE soft deadline).

DECORATE and next Christmas time you say? Now I'm REALLY psyched for this :)

Omegalore said:

DECORATE and next Christmas time you say? Now I'm REALLY psyched for this :)

Might as well make this a full fledged Christmas wad since we don't really have a deadline :P Just it's done when it's done kind of thing!
That way we can spend as much time as needed to make a amazing XMAS mod. :)

Clusterone666 said:

Ok awesome!
So how many total is that now? We'd need 34 correct? (1 for each map, and 1 for title, 1 for end screen?)

35. 32 in-game tracks, one for title screen, one for intermission, and one for those text screens. it also has some nice Christmas decorations in XMAS_GFX, such as the Doom trees being covered in snow and decorations, if such a thing is missing here currently. however, i can find no documentation on the authors of the music and graphics in the game (the readme files links to X-Mas Nightmare made by Bytebrothers Software, several years before this mod was released.) since it's a GZDoom mod, though, some of the switches you can press at the beginning of the first level has information about authors and such, which you can probably read from the DECORATE or whatever in the mod files.

Remember that Fatso sprite I've uploaded? Well, I missed 2 frames Frame J6 and J7. I forgot to give him a beard and give him the normal head sprite too.

I know I should use a sprite sheet, but I'm busy with my own Xmas map right now and no, it's not the one I've enhanced for 2 years. Soon to be released. I may get to that later, the sprite sheet.

http://puu.sh/d88LM/ff2f79888e.png

I'll put snow flats outdoors and replace FIREBLU with waterfalls and put a whole bunch of details because you just want to stare at stuff instead of playing.

I'd love to make some christmas-themed textures, can i make them in full color pngs? I think that Doom's palette could be a major obstacle in making charming textures, and i usually work better with a limitless color range

mouldy said:

haha! Someone needs to change his fireballs into christmas presents.

Well, I did do that on Xmas wad I was enhancing for 2 years except it was a 2nd attack. Might as well do it here too minus the 2 attacks.

joe-ilya said:

I'll put snow flats outdoors and replace FIREBLU with waterfalls and put a whole bunch of details because you just want to stare at stuff instead of playing.

Reminder that while gameplay is the most important thing, visuals are still important.

AD_79 said:

Reminder that while gameplay is the most important thing, visuals are still important.

This is true. As for Batandy: I'm not 100% sure as I don't really know all to well on the textures side of things. I know Obake is so far doing the textures so you two should collaborate with what your doing :o
And sorry to everyone else, i've been busy with work and all that last couple weeks! But things are still good to go!
I just still need a compiler!

Glaice said:

Obsidian and company can churn out 16 in 2-3 hours, so YMMV on that

Clusterone666 said:

How's everyone doing on their projects for this so far? :o

I may need to give Fatso some more detailing and I also kinda did the design wrong. I also have another idea, making the hellknight to a Gingerbread Man.

Sorry fro late reply. Had to fix a couple of bugs on XMASDM22015.wad and I had to record my Christmas Special. Quite hectic due to a couple of spots I missed, mostly one of the PolyObjects on XMAS05, The Theater. Scripting was wrong.

Omegalore said:

I may need to give Fatso some more detailing and I also kinda did the design wrong. I also have another idea, making the hellknight to a Gingerbread Man.

Sorry fro late reply. Had to fix a couple of bugs on XMASDM22015.wad and I had to record my Christmas Special. Quite hectic due to a couple of spots I missed, mostly one of the PolyObjects on XMAS05, The Theater. Scripting was wrong.

Alright that's fine, no rush, it will be done when it's done, there won't be a deadline till we start mapping. :)
Either way Merry Christmas to everyone!
Hopefully this WAD will be done in time for next Christmas!

It's been a while.

Anyways, I'm still working on Doom Carol.

I do, however, have another map that could be added to the wad, probably late in episode 4 somewhere.

It is titled "Frosty's Fall into Insanity", and is heavily winter themed. This version uses a lot of custom stuff, from myself and from places like Realm667. The final version will likely cut back on some of the new stuff in order to save filespace, but some of the custom stuff, especially the OldMancubusWinters, are key to the level's theme and feel.

The map:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/5075a7c9d8n4msd/winte.zip

You will also need to run this wad along with it:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/fz86csc86271pii/M20.wad

The map uses a few textures from the Nova II texture pack, so you'll want to run it with that, too, though this will likely change in revisions.

Enjoy :)