Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sahkan

A Map builder for my Doom 2 Remake.

How would you build non-orthogonal structures and non-flat surfaces? I suppose that it'd be possible, but hard to arrange in a meaningful map.

Tango said:

pretty neat looking stuff :D

scifista42 said:

How would you build non-orthogonal structures and non-flat surfaces? I suppose that it'd be possible, but hard to arrange in a meaningful map.

The plan is to make enough assets so the user will be able to make a unique environment.

Sahkan said:

The plan is to make enough assets so the user will be able to make a unique environment.

You've answered something else than what I've asked: How would the user build non-orthogonal structures and non-flat surfaces, if he wanted to easily arrange them in a meaningful map?

scifista42 said:

You've answered something else than what I've asked: How would the user build non-orthogonal structures and non-flat surfaces, if he wanted to easily arrange them in a meaningful map?

Sorry i wasn't clear, i mean't i will make a lot of assets as rocks, trees and more natural elements that will be able to make floor and walls out of them and won't even see the float skeleton of the level. I'm also thinking now how to make an adjustable surface that can be manipulate by the user to make not flat terrain, I will have to give it more thought.

You should implement easy ways to build and arrange non-orthogonal walls too, it's such a basic design thing that shouldn't rely only on pre-made assets.

Anyway, your work on your game and your editor looks pretty good so far.

You can move and stretch the boulders, and you can rotate them around.
Then you can also move and stretch the textured cubes, but you cannot rotate them?

scifista42 said:

You should implement easy ways to build and arrange non-orthogonal walls too, it's such a basic design thing that shouldn't rely only on pre-made assets.

Anyway, your work on your game and your editor looks pretty good so far.

Thanks, Yeah i will have to think of something.

Gez said:

You can move and stretch the boulders, and you can rotate them around.
Then you can also move and stretch the textured cubes, but you cannot rotate them?

Of course you can, and you can build out of them while they are rotated, i guess i'v forgot to show it in the video.

Sahkan said:

Of course you can, and you can build out of them while they are rotated, i guess i'v forgot to show it in the video.

So you can actually build non-orthogonal walls out of the rotated cuboids. That's good for a start, but it could use improvements to allow easier arrangement to an exact place and angle where the user wanted to - which I already said, sorry that I'm repeating myself.

scifista42 said:

So you can actually build non-orthogonal walls out of the rotated cuboids. That's good for a start, but it could use improvements to allow easier arrangement to an exact place and angle where the user wanted to - which I already said, sorry that I'm repeating myself.

You can snap them to rotation 0 0 0 and you can rotate it with a snap of 15 degrees.
Also, you can via the console use precise values to global and local axis.

Example : ce "Add local location offset " 10 0 5 ( x y z ).
You have local and global funcitons to location rotation and scale.