Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ribbiks

Slaughterfest 3 [Beta_C released, 05/08/2017]

Marcaek said:

hey guys it's almost 2015

More importantly, it's now completely pointless to try holding onto the yearly naming idea, because there is no Slaughterfest 2014. So really, I think it's time to make "Slaughterfest 3" the official name. Ribbiks, can you still edit the original post, or is it too old now?

Also, does anyone have a beta that includes the last few maps to be submitted/updated? I'd love to get back into testing/working on this megawad. We have loads of great maps, we just need to get stuff finished, shore up the things that don't quite work and maybe create a few more maps. This could be an excellent megawad, we just need to get back to work and do things properly. Come on.

Grain of Salt said:

More importantly, it's now completely pointless to try holding onto the yearly naming idea, because there is no Slaughterfest 2014. So really, I think it's time to make "Slaughterfest 3" the official name. Ribbiks, can you still edit the original post, or is it too old now?

Also, does anyone have a beta that includes the last few maps to be submitted/updated? I'd love to get back into testing/working on this megawad. We have loads of great maps, we just need to get stuff finished, shore up the things that don't quite work and maybe create a few more maps. This could be an excellent megawad, we just need to get back to work and do things properly. Come on.

If you go to page 20 of this thread, you should be able to find it. You will have to scroll through though.

There have been updates and new maps since then. Hence, "does anyone have a beta that includes the last few maps to be submitted/updated?".

I asked Ribbiks if he could update beta, maybe it'll happen shortly. We could only hope.

More maps? Well, go ahead. It's never enough.

Well, I think it would be kinda cool and funny if you guys started Slaughterfest 2014 in 2017 or something. It doesn't seem that silly to me.

Memfis said:

Well, I think it would be kinda cool and funny if you guys started Slaughterfest 2014 in 2017 or something. It doesn't seem that silly to me.

Do you know for certain when Slaughterfest 2014 will be released?

Well, nobody ever started it, so...

Next week?

E: But seriously. Why don't you guys finish this one first and then we can talk about another one. I think I started the thread, but it never went anywhere.

General Rainbow Bacon said:

Well, nobody ever started it, so...

Next week?

E: But seriously. Why don't you guys finish this one first and then we can talk about another one. I think I started the thread, but it never went anywhere.

If you are talking about Slaughterfest 2013, then yeah, I think it would be better if we would just finish the project and move on to Slaughterfest 2014, even though I'm not trying to rush the project or anything. Anyways, I am working on my custom map which might even be good for Slaughterfest 2014. It is nearly done but I will probably have to edit it after I submit it for feedback.

We're not naming them by year anymore. Just to let you know.

Also, people seem to want a break from these anyway. We'll pick it up again sometime but I don't think another one will happen for a little while.

heyo, sf13 thread receiving some attention, neat.

Title officially changed to "Slaughterfest 3", impending release 2017...

Give me a day or so and I'll whip up a new beta with the updates (and a couple new maps).

Pending cosmetic changes to Via Tortuosa, as well as killing the camping spot in Resistance is Crushing in case you decide to keep it in the project. One of these days I'll do it... I will...

Yo dawgs. The humorless mods (maybe grazza) banned me from the everything else forum. So I would like to remove my maps from this project in protest, since this thread is on their forum too, until I am allowed to post in everything else again. Does grazza even play doom? Did anyone ever even promote him to mod, or did he just exist forever like emperor palpatine, collecting so much ad revenue off of everyone else's content that he can prune his subjectively least favorite? Plus drama is entertaining!

I wonder if anyone else has been banned from EE. Maybe Hellbent at one point? Also drama isn't as funny when it's forced: look at every soap opera ever.

Not a very good idea of protest, you know. By withdrawing your maps, you would actually be doing a favor for the project, cuz there would be less ugly + horrendous maps with D_RUNNIN midi files and no new textures, so the quality of the wad would skyrocket so hard we would eventually get all the cacowards and become mainstream sellouts. You don't want such disastertastrophy to happen, huh?

I thought of that actually, but remembered that the masses are idiots and the worse a map is, the more they like it (see all cacoward winners as proof). So, since my maps are horrible, removing them will make the wad better and thus the masses will like it less. (I'm pretty sure that's correct; I'm confused)

Yesterday is 2 millennia away from Saturday afternoon and high tea at 11am has been postponed to the 42nd of January.

Huh, looks like you're not the only one.

@ j4rio: Why no feedback anymore, Oh Almighty One? These maps need more harsh criticism!

Played Rayzik's m08 recently, was able to beat bk fight with corner/column bfg abuse on upper ledge, yet the rest of the map is really a breeze compared to it. So far the map feels like a boat ride with suddenly appearing shark that bites half of the rider's ass off. I dunno, I'd say edit this fight a bit to make the flow smoother. Good map otherwise.

I "banned" myself from the Everything Else forum once. I wrote up a userscript that removed it from the forum index listing, and Doomworld instantly got 200% better.

Demonologist said:

@ j4rio: Why no feedback anymore, Oh Almighty One? These maps need more harsh criticism!

Well, I could, but it'd be like shouting at a wall. Most of map authors haven't been around for a long time and others don't react to feedback whatsoever, so edits from them are unlikely. As controversial as it might sound, it would severely speed up process of getting the thing released if people wouldn't make a fuss about possible map edits not coming from original authors in case of their absence. Say, it's a community project, so I think some rule like "by submitting a map here, you agree to the possibility that it could undergo changes before being placed into the main wad" would have guaranteed a release within a year. In case somebody would be against it, they could pull their map out and release it as a standalone thing. I think so because I don't share the view that multiple map wad with more than one author should be just a collection of entirely separate maps of extremely varied quality but a product as a whole.

I share your views, for what it's worth. If authors themselves aren't here, and their maps are in need of some editing (at the very least - I don't think that the possibility to fall down to rk in Shanghai Massacre and never to be able to return is okay) - then someone should do those edits I suppose, or throw the map away because who needs a raw product with lots of bugs.

At least you could shout at a wall (in which case, this wall would bear the name Ribbiks) to say that some maps are turd, while others are not. I'm not speaking about something particular, mind you. It's just that more opinions from skilled fellas in terms of quality control wouldn't hurt at all. I understand that someone would disagree, but gathering the majority of weighted opinions is the only way to be at least partly objective within the team.

Xaser said:

I "banned" myself from the Everything Else forum once. I wrote up a userscript that removed it from the forum index listing, and Doomworld instantly got 200% better.

I used some extension that blocks specific urls from being loaded. It was pretty great.

oh hi. Beta v4? Sure why not: Slaughterfest 3 beta_v4

##: MAPNAME:                        TODO:
--- --------                        -------

01: Resurrect Dead                  minor balancing (awaiting new version from GoS)
02: Firestarter
03: Pathogen                        MP starts, difficulties (to be done by Ribbiks)
04: Desecration                                                 
05: Evil Battlefield of Demons                                  
06: Wavebreaker                                                 
07: Payload
08: With Fist In Hand
09: Yonahe                                                      
10: Untitled                        Various edits, MP, difficulties (to be done by Ribbiks)
11: Broken Mind                                                 
12: Blatant gggmork Fanboyism
13: Daiyu's Chamber
14: Shanghai Massacre
15: 
16: Pacman                          fixes (awaiting new version from __Lagger__)
17: Fierce Attack
18: Castle of the Damned                                        
19: Metastasizing Slaughterfest
20: The Farthest Reach
21: Meet a Bear                                                 
22: Mult                                                        
23: Poop                            play around with visuals?                           
24: Joyless                                                     
25: Chaos Slaughter       
26: Via Tortuosa
27: Red Recluse                                                 
28: dHoles                                                      
29: Escaping the Spiral Labyrinth                               
30: Chronoblast                                                            
31: Butt                                                        
32: Trick or Cheat
33: Three Lines                     difficulties (to be done by Ribbiks)

Bonus Maps:
-----------

Gut Buster                  
Temple Arena
Aquafresh Crescents         
Assault on UAC Base 13
Rayzik's Slaughterday
Insane Trip Part I

------------------------
CHANGES SINCE LAST BETA:
------------------------

Rayzik's Slaughterday:          [07 -> bonus]
Insane Trip Part I:             [26 -> bonus]
Metastasizing Slaughterfest:    [20 -> 19]
The Farthest Reach:             [08 -> 20]
Three Lines:                    [32 -> 33]
Trick or Cheat:                 [15 -> 32]
**NEW** Payload:                [07]
**NEW** With Fist In Hand       [08]
**NEW** Blagggmf                [12]
**NEW** Via Tortuosa            [26]
**NEW** Chronoblast             [30]
--- All maps updated to most recent version supplied by author
--- Picked out some skies (E1:brown, E2:night, E3:red)
--- Chaos Slaughter (map25) starts were bugged, I fixed em on behalf of Solarn

I thought both lagger's maps fit bonus map slots much more than ggg stuff, partly because it's just about the most gimmicky slaughter stuff I've ever seen.

I kinda liked the ggg map currently in 31 because he had it textured with wolfentein rocks and whatnot. pacman and butt are both pretty esoteric, it was a tossup for me.

New version of firestarter
http://www.mediafire.com/download/883qhe3xf1c1hej/Firestarterv.4.wad
Hopefully this will be better than the previous versions. Even if it still sucks :P

And Wavebreaker
http://www.mediafire.com/download/8mbfm9lbcvb68nc/Wavebreakerv.4.wad
Axed the final fight altogether and added more connections to add movement. The water has been changed to that sludge which is now damaging.

hello,

i have a question to everybody. right now i'm working on a map, with the cc4 textures. is it possible to put more than one texture wad to a map, you can work with? i would also work with gothic dm texture wad, parallel at the same time with the cc4 texture wad. can anyone please tell me, how this works?

i want that so badly.

thanks!

djd

@ cb, dem: thanks, got em!

@ archi: cool, a new map :D

FDA (w/ saves): https://www.mediafire.com/?0ool44l1bdva3tl

I thought it was great! the first fight was creative, gotta protect barrels or else your space gets invaded. The big 'U'-shaped balcony fight (in "final" room) was also really fun. the imp/cyb pillar room and AV/crusher rooms were pretty cool as well. Overall I really enjoyed it. Pretty good looking too. A few parts were rough around the edges, see below:

some critiques in the form of an imgur album: http://imgur.com/a/0RBMS

the IoS exit is ehhh, what if the player used all their rockets in the clusterfuck *16* AV fight? :p Also it took me awhile to figure out that was what I was supposed to do. I recommend a few additions:

- raise romero head so it's visible? that way it could also be sniped with shotgun or cg if player ammo is dire after the AVs.
- alternatively, give player more rockets somewhere (they could lower by the AV teleporters even), and make the hallway glowing or something (worst case scenario draw an arrow in the ground or something -.-). just some ideas.

@ darkdave: you can load multiple texpacks in doombuilder in the same way you'd use one:

the caveat is that testing becomes a bit more complicated depending on your port. depends how you normally do it:

- "test map" via db: everything should work without any work (provided you've set up db to point towards your favorite exe)
- zdoom: drag wad with all texpacks and it should sort itself out.
- prb+: doesn't like multiple texture lumps, requires merging tex resources. hrrrng.

just let me know what texpacks are required and I'll sort all the tex out for the compiled wad, ofc.