Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grazza

Post Your Doom Picture (Part 2)

purist: looking good. The red floor is a bit odd though.

I made a new palette and then tried it with some new and old textures. Maybe it needs some tweaks. The sky needs more shades apparently, and some issues with brown and green in the colormap.

Memfis said:

Lol I was playing Elma Online, then I simply alt+tabbed back to Doom Builder and saw that.

Put it in WOOO 3.

those look awesome Jimi. really love the yellow -> purple sky.

capodecima asked me to detail one of his CTF maps, took me a lot longer than it should have but here's a pair of before/after pics:

http://imgur.com/a/zR3Au

Thanks, good detailing there too, though kinda big theme change from the original, which is pretty cool too with its abstract comp theme.

I tweaked my palette a bit. Now it's a mix of some old palette and the one I had yesterday. Doesn't really include more shades for some orange/brown skies.. I just made a darker sky. Then I wanted to try how it looks like if all 32 colormap levels are used. Makes the glowing lights smoother, could have a slower pulse too. Weapon also gets darker in darkness.

It looks okay, but in my opinion you should consider using a palette with somewhat bolder colors. As it stands things look pretty drab, and as intentional as that may be, I frankly find it to be a rather tired aesthetic that way too many shooter games fall back on in an attempt to look "dreary."

Like even in Doom's palette you'll notice they included plenty of bright colors, like the emerald used for doomguy, energy balls and various powerups, that huge range of blue that they use to highlight all kinds of stuff (but that people rarely appreciate), plus all of those really bright reds, pinks, and other fleshy tones that make several of the game's monsters pop out really nicely. Of course, they also have the drab greens, browns, and grays too, but those look much much better when they're mixed with all the aforementioned colors too.

Here's another demonstration of good and bad palette choices in games. I'm sharing this partly because it's entertaining but also because it's highly informative, so watch it!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aip2aIt0ROM&feature=youtu.be&t=6m48s

Taking a break from The NIGHTMARE! Palace and working on some techbase. Feels like I'm overdoing this theme.

That, and it's also part of a community project of MagnificentBeard, Abisso Oscuro.

Guest Unregistered account

You've somehow managed to make a blend of such contrasting colours as red and green look beautiful together - awesome! :D

Looks really nice and clean, just like the best Scythe2\SOD maps.

Have you considered changing the sky? In my opinion the Plutonia E1 one isn't very nice because it has a lot of visual "garbage" and most of it is just a solid white color, which doesn't look good. I guess some will disagree...

Jimi said:

purist: looking good. The red floor is a bit odd though.

I made a new palette and then tried it with some new and old textures. Maybe it needs some tweaks. The sky needs more shades apparently, and some issues with brown and green in the colormap.

Oooh, very System Shock-ish!

Nice, Memfis. Brown & green: a personal favourite pairing of mine.

I'm working on a map of my own - experimenting with low-light lava. As usual, I haven't included enough colour contrast.

franckFRAG: Very hellish looking. Maybe add some of those blood pool things on the ground.

darkreaver: That PW2 shot is pretty cool. Gave me some good idea.

Memfis: Looks fun with the grass.

schwerpunk: If the lava was more lit, it would probably add the contrast... Torches could do that too.

And my good idea.. overbrights! The top 8 levels are now overbrights. I wonder how colored lighting would work.

Outdoors look like cheese and there's some light at the end of a tunnel. The tunnel area has all the 32 light levels used for testing. It's a sort of a deathmatch kind of level with no start/exit with different areas connecting to each other with hallways and small dark ventilation tunnels. Or maybe aliens will spawn there indefinitely and player has to survive as long as possible. Eventually player would be totally overrun by the aliens.

And here's the colormap, which I had to tweak manually to remove some of those dumb flickery colors.. I might redo some of the palette, so it would have 32 grey shades and 15 colors with 16 shades. Would be nice to have some color between brown and green, more red and brighter violet. Or something like that...

Wow, very scenic. Reminds me on the old DOS / VGA graphic demo "Solstice".

Good use of raycasting (light diminishing).

stewboy: That looks beautifully atmospheric. Good use of custom textures, too (what tex pack is that?). Reminds me a little bit of Turok (the beetle maze at the end of the first episode), maybe because the player's vision is limited to the foreground.

And thanks, Jimi. I'll try raising the brightness a little bit... but this map was specifically created for dark lava, so I'm hoping to find another solution. Although I've kind of visplaned myself into a corner, so I can't really add much detail without going into overflow territory. And I'm not a huge fan of torches; humm, hmm, hm...

EDIT: may as well post a lightmaps version of my level, just for fun:
http://i.imgur.com/eWnfhS0.jpg?1
the southern and western portions
are the least developed so far

EDIT2: I like the new forum auto-resize feature! Who's doing is that? Good job on that, whomever. :)

schwerpunk said:

EDIT2: I like the new forum auto-resize feature! Who's doing is that? Good job on that, whomever. :)

Probably a forum software plugin.

Still, you should only link large images (maybe with thumbnails, or just as text link)...

schwerpunk said:

the southern and western portions
are the least developed so far

Didn't you mean eastern? :) (EDIT: Wait, maybe you actually didn't, sorry if so.)

schwerpunk said:

EDIT2: I like the new forum auto-resize feature!

Me too. It seems to be a good way to take care of inconveniently posted pictures, rather than Losering people.