Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dsm

Comments on JDoom/JHexen

Great work Keränen!
This source port is easily the best looking source ports of them all(I still prefer PRBoom because it doesn't crash as often and because of nostalgic value, but this is the port I play the most beside PrBoom now) - I pareticular love the plasma rifle effects (far better than Q3A's plasma gun).

I have only this complaint about JDoom: Why does the player occasionally 'use' things without me pressing the use key (spacebar)? Sometimes when I move along facing a wall, I hear the "ungh!" sound, indicating that the player is trying to 'use' the wall. Can I do something to prevent this? How?

Yesterday, however, I finally got Hexen (a game I've been hunting since I tried the demo last year) and I tried it with JHexen.
Apart from having the same minor annoyance as JDoom (mentioned above) it has the following two problems:
1. The save/load keys are reversed - you save with F3 (which I'm used to do with the F2 key) and you load the game with F2 (I usually load with F3). This problem is slowly killing me as I keep accidentally loading a game instead of saving it (I'm too used to the reverse order)! When playing regular Vanilla Hexen, it's the way I'm used to it (F2 - save, f3 -load). How can I set up the right keys for this (CAN I set up those keys)?
2. Whenever I complete an episode and the scrolling text screen appears, the game can't find the text which is supposed to be displayed - it's just a minor thing, but for a story interested freak like me, it is still a bit annoying. Can I do anything to improve on this?

Rounding off, I'd say that JDoom and JHexen both look stunning for such old games - love the dynamic lights, love the general look.
Great work.

Heh, u'r just ASKING for a comment off me, aren't u? :)

Erm... the load/save prob... i've never encountered that, but you should be able to change it either

a)thru the DED definition files, or
b)using the 'bind' command from the console, a'la Quake.

I've never noticed the intermission problem tho... nor the crashes, providing you're using the ddutils.exe pack from newdoom.jdoom.com files section (i presume you're using dlaunch.exe to run the games?)

As for the automatic 'using', yeah it's noticeable, but not really a pain in my eyes. Just occasionally you'll run up to a door/switch, and have it activate without u doing anything. Weird.

Ah well...

Well, here's the deal: I only use the Jhexen.exe launcher - so that's probably the problem.
Could you do me a favour and link me to that page with the files? When I cut+paste the url you posted, it takes me to a place which says: "www.newdoom.jdoom.com This domain is for sale at Domain Deluxe".
Oh yeah and what files exactly do I need? So far, I just downloaded the newest version of JHexen (which according to the page included all the necessary files).

As for the bind command, hmmm how was it now?
"Bind <key> save"?

[edit]Ok, I've got the svae/load problem solved - I just need the other problem solved - btw, no Spike, this wasn't really directed at you specifically, but at anyone with a bit of knowledge about JDoom (but thanks for you help).[/edit]

Here's the link for the ddutils.exe...

ftp://jfiles:jfiles@server1.thefourwinds.net/jdoom/ddutils.exe

btw, no Spike, this wasn't really directed at you specifically, but at anyone with a bit of knowledge about JDoom (but thanks for you help.

Dude, i was kidding. whenever a jdoom-related thread pops up, i've got a habit of sticking my nose in :)

Hope the utilities help out.

Why does jdoom 'not find' external wads specified
with '-file' even when the full (correct, and w/o
longnames) pathname is specified? Ideas, anyone?

Again, use 'dlaunch.exe' in the ddutils.exe (url above) for Jdoom. You can specify IWADs and PWADs from the menu.

Also, DSM - i've been fiddling round with XGData on Jdoom... and we're now able to incorporate gravity, moving floor/ceiling textures, 'strings' of actions triggered by a single linedef, and ambient sound :)

Ep2 will be most interesting :)))

I asked Jake about that use problem and it's actually a feature. It happens when you hit forward twice quickly and can be turned off with a console variable called dblclick_use or something. Send Jake an e-mail and he'll sort you out.

Heh, yeah it took me a few months to figure out that rather annoying "Feature", I didn't know there was a way to turn it off though.

Now he just needs an option to turn off that damn blurring and it'll be all set.

Lüt said:

Now he just needs an option to turn off that damn blurring and it'll be all set.

Uh it's already there. That 'blurring' is the mipmapping, if you don't like it just go into the display options and set 'mipmapping' to 'linear'.

JoelMurdoch said:

I asked Jake about that use problem and it's actually a feature. It happens when you hit forward twice quickly and can be turned off with a console variable called dblclick_use or something. Send Jake an e-mail and he'll sort you out.

Damn, if I'd found the file with all those console variables before, I might have found out for myself, but the game directory becomes a mess of subdirectories after installing JHexen/JDoom
- I finally found it and solved that li'l problem, but thanx for the heads up.
The dlaunch.exe solves nothing when it comes to the scrolliing text screen though, so that's still a bitch :-(

I had that intermission bug when i had Hexen version 1.0. it disappeared when i updated it to 1.1.

Ah.
/Me takes a note to visit some pages to download a Hexen patch.

[edit]Problem solved, it worked with the patch. Thanks.[/edit]