Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Okay, I downloaded XWE because I couldn't get Wintex to work. I have no clue what to do on this thing! I downloaded it so I could change the title screen and the music, it can do this right? Please help

To open your WAD file in XWE, click File|Open, then select your file.

To replace the title screen, you will need your own 320x200 bmp or jpg file. To load this file into your wad, click Entry|Load and select your file. If the name was not "TITLEPIC", make sure to rename it to "TITLEPIC" (Entry|Rename).

To replace music, you will need some MUS files (for vanilla doom) or MID,IT,MP3 (etc) files if you run ZDooM. To load these, again click Entry|Load. You can rename them to "D_RUNNIN", "D_STALKS", etc. depending on which level you want to hear the music on.

So to sum it up, open your WAD file, and load all the stuff into it with Entry|Load. Hope this helps.

Alright, thanks a lot. I got the title screen to work using Wintex but I couldn't get the music to work. I'll use XWE for that.

Okay. Thanks for using XWE. Don't forget that since I'm still developing it, I'm open for suggestions. If you think a feature is missing, or something should be change, send me an email, I'll consider it for the next version.

I've been working with XWE for the last couple days... It's a good program, very handy. It is however a little difficult to learn at first but other than that I have nothing but praise for it.

[edit] oh, and one thing that might be handy is the ability to drag a resource from one open XWE window to another... just a thought :)

Csabo said:

To replace music, you will need some MUS files (for vanilla doom) or MID,IT,MP3 (etc) files if you run ZDooM. To load these, again click Entry|Load. You can rename them to "D_RUNNIN", "D_STALKS", etc. depending on which level you want to hear the music on.

Alright, I did this, and I now see the music file in the list of stuff on my wad. I saved the music file a .MUS and it plays fine on XWE. However, when I start up my wad there is NO sound in the background whatsoever.

If it plays in XWE, that means it's a .MID file (that's the only one XWE can play internally). This is fine, as long as you are running ZDooM, but in vanilla Doom it won't work. I'm not sure about other source ports, you should look in their documentation to find out what music formats they can play.

This is how you can tell the difference between the two formats: When you open a .MID entry, XWE will only display "Standard Midi File" on the top. When you open a .MUS entry, it will display all the instruments used, channels, notes etc.

Wierd. I saved it as .MUS and it says "Standard MIDI file" at the top. HOWEVER, next to the name where it says what type of file it is, it says MUS. It still plays though.

Okay, so that probably means that JDoom cannot play .MID files. Convert your .MID file to .MUS format, then replace that entry with the .MUS version.

What? No no I'm using the .MUS format and it doesn't work. So, I should just switch over to .MID. Here's an interesting little thing though. When I open up my wad in WINTEX, it won't even play.

I'm sure that if it plays in XWE, then you are not using the .MUS format. That's a .MID.

Okay well you obviously know more about it than me (you DID make it afterall), so I'll just keep on messing around with it. Thanks

Did you use the MIDI2MUS utility? I was thinking, maybe what happened is that you just saved the file with a .MUS extension. That won't change the format. The above mentioned utility will do the actual conversion, I think you can find it here on doomworld under utilities.

Oh, see thats exactly what I did. I saved it with a .MUS extension, that's where I went wrong. However, I'm pretty sure that program is DOS and I can't run that on Windows XP to my knowledge.

I'm running WindowXP as well (home edition). MIDI2MUS runs fine from the command prompt for me.

That's what happens if you just run it from Windows by double clicking on it. You have to run it from the Command Prompt (e.g. click Start|Run, and type "command" then press enter). Go to the folder where MIDI2MUS is. It helps if you put your MID to be converted in the same folder (let's call it D_RUNNIN.MID). To convert this file, type MIDI2MUS D_RUNNIN.MID then press enter (so that's basically MIDI2MUS <filename>). This will produce a D_RUNNIN.MUS in the same folder. It can convert most .MID files as long as they are under 64K.

That message means that your MIDI2MUS.EXE file is not in the current folder (and not in any of the folders that's included by your PATH environment variable). Let's say you have downloaded it to "C:\DOWNLOADS". Go to the command prompt, the use the "CD" command: type CD \DOWNLOADS and press enter. Then you can type MIDI2MUS <filename> and that's it. If the folder that your file is in has a space in its name, then you must put double quotes around it. E.g. let's say your MIDI2MUS is in the "C:\My Documents" folder, you would type: CD "\MY DOCUMENTS" and press enter. Hope this helps.

Wait wait wait, you're confusing the hell out of me. Alright, I have the files in C://MIDI2MUS. Please tell me EXACTLY what to put in. I don't get this "CD" crap. Sorry for the trouble.

RailGunner said:

GET WINTEX TO WORK! YOU WONT HAVE TO WORRY 'BOUT XWE. IT SUCKS!

Tsk tsk...I suppose you could do better? I got WINTEX to work but I'm not bias towards it.

1) Go to the dos prompt
2) Type CD \MIDI2MUS and press enter
3) Type MIDI2MUS <filename> and press enter.

Sorry if the previous instructions sounded confusing. This sould work though.

On the subject of XWE:
what exactly is the support for alien trilogy in XWE because the only thing it allows me to see are the palettes.

Is there more that I can do with Alien trilogy in XWE?

RailGunner said:

GET WINTEX TO WORK! YOU WONT HAVE TO WORRY 'BOUT XWE. IT SUCKS!

i actually learned to be moderately proficient at various .wad related functions in wintex, despite its bugs and lack of intuitiveness. i have reached the same level of proficiency much quicker in xwe however. out of curiosity, have you ever used both?

Lobo: XWE supports the .B16 and .BND files from Alien Trilogy. Most of the data is in these files. Look in the GFX subfolder of the game, for example. The support is partial though. XWE can read the file format, and "knows" the lumps that are inside. The flat images are displayed properly, and can be ripped out (given that you view them with the right palette). However, the sprites are in some weird format which I have not been able to crack yet.

Most of those BNDs I just see as lines of numbers: is that it? No groovy images?

It would really be cool if you could get at the sprites too!

/me drools thinking of a new Aliens TC with those sexy sprites...