Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
VileSlay

slopes?

a while ago I posted a thread about arches. I tried it in vanilla doom, basicaly making inverted stairs, but I don't like the way it comes out. IIRC, there was mention of a slope feature in zdoom. I've seen some screenshots of levels with great looking archways. what I want to know is how to do it and if I can do it in wadauthor? if not, whats the better editor for zdoom?

Zdoom has a line special which will slope the floor, ceiling or both. Yes, you can do it with WadAuthor and DeePsea. Check here for a good example http://zdoom.notgod.com/ftp/examples/slopes2.zip
The basic method is to have adjacent sectors which are of different height for floor and/or ceiling. The line between the sectors is set to slope the floor/ceiling of one sector to align with the one adjacent. Some cool effects can be had by putting the "two adjacent sectors" in void space, and having the sloped one share a sector number with a sector in playable space. I think you'll see a bit of that in the example used to make some "pointed" platforms.

hey biff. I dl'd the wad. it looks cool, kinda the stuff I want to try. but when I tried to open it with wadauthor to see what it looks like, it says that the wcf has invalid information. I don't know why. I changed the wadfile path to my zdoom wad.

I suppose you've got the latest zdoom.wcf file from the zdoom web page, downloads section. Next, what about this section of the file:
[WadGame]
Name=ZDoom (Hex)
IWAD=zdiwhack.wad
NewMap=MAP01
Directory=C:\Games\editors\zdoom

Did you create zdiwhack.wad by using zwadconv.exe on doom2.wad? You can use another name than zdiwhack. The directory line states the path to zdiwhack.wad on my system. Also, you did "select configuration file" in WA, selecting the zdoom.wcf file? If at that point you get an "invalid information" message, there is probably a mistake in file name or in path.

Edit: OK now I read your message, you should not be pointing to the zdoom.wad file. Point to the converted doom2.wad file.

thanks biff. I read the contents of the wcf and saw the line about converting. now I can check out the slopes and try to build them.

ok, so I've made sloped ceilings and floors. I got that, but I'm having trouble making the arch. the whole ceiling slopes to one side. I'm ovbiously doing something wrong that I haven't figured out. any suggestions?

Well, Arches use curves, not straight slopes, that's why. You'd have to make a whole bunch of small slopes in order to get it to look "round."

so pretty much make a stair like series of sectors. should they all be the same height? I take it you throww the slope ceiling thing in each one.

VileSlay said:

so pretty much make a stair like series of sectors. should they all be the same height? I take it you throww the slope ceiling thing in each one.

If you want it to slope, they should all be different heights, you use the Plane Align special tag to make them slope.