Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
tatsurd-cacocaco

TAS (tools-assisted) demos

is it the guideless glide next to the switch? in regular play I tried to do it but I couldn't do it. I'm probably not going to restart my whole run, having to say its up to e1m6. I'll probably going to finish this TAS then start at map again and improve my other run.

MD922 said:

Scythe 2 Nomo Map 01 in 16.89
100% built, but it's pretty bad. Just trying to learn how to use XDRE a bit more.

Tics like "GF50 SL50 TR54" are "strafe-50 on turns". Yeah, maybe everyone sets them, just Andy and me not, but in this run they are completely unnecessary IMO. When TRx is introduced, we do only SL40/SR40 at the same tic.
Your turns are extremely sharp (again: probably not necessarily), and this beats everything:

547 GF50 SR50 TR30 UT
548 GB50 SL50 TL15 
You just opened the BK door and start to go back in order to have full speed ("blaze") through the door. Good. But you have plenty of tics to adjust your angle, you don't have to turn left right after the previous turn right.

On the topic of 2002ADO run, I think this is a right decision to keep what you created and ignore a bit all those who know better. If you don't ask for advice after each level, it's almost guaranteed you'll miss a trick here or there. Even Akse beat himself on EP3 by 15 seconds, so no worries :)

What I meant was s201 nomo was going to be 16s anyway with smooth turns and no strafe 50 on turns. Too bad I'm preparing for a >2 week holiday and I can't show the proof myself. And yes, your demo has twists painful to watch IMO :-/

MD922 said:

I'll probably going to finish this TAS then start at map again and improve my other run.

No. You either redo it from scratch (e1m2), or you finish it and leave it as it is for others (me, why not?) to improve.
Edit: Looks like ClumsyD is making one, so you get the point.

vdgg said:

Even Akse beat himself on EP3 by 15 seconds, so no worries :)

It's because back in 2009 i wasn't as good as i am now. As simple as that.

vdgg said:

When TRx is introduced, we do only SL40/SR40 at the same tic.

Why is that? CN in your heart?

Akse said:

Why is that? CN in your heart?

As a matter of principle, it's nice if a TAS demo represents what could be done by a robot providing actual controller input in real time, as people have actually done with NES, SNES and N64 games.

(Since AdamH quit, we'd have to settle for the robot.)

Allowing strafe-50 on turns was just a fuck-up by Andrey, as he mistakenly believed at the time that it was possible to produce such tics with a joystick and a third hand (i.e. keyboard+mouse+joystick), and that he was just providing a way to automate something that was technically possible (i.e. within the traditional spirit of TAS). However, that is not the case, and the setting allows tics that aren't possible to produce in any way in-game (without using -turbo). However, by the time he realized this, the cat was out of the bag, and there were a number of "TAS" runs (including his own) that featured these impossible tics.

So it is all rather a sad mess.

I honestly feel that I'm not going to finish my TAS. It seems not worth it to finish it if Clumsy already will have a run done when I finish and immediately post it after I'm done. And off of Akse's words, either I finish the TAS and get smashed by Clumsy again, or spend another WHOLE month just to go back to E1M2 and do a glide that I don't know how to build, or manage with rerecording.

I'll just do another WAD nobody cares about so I don't get bugged by other people that tricks are there and I need to redo a big section.

Grazza said:

So it is all rather a sad mess.

I think it was a good mistake. It's much more easy to make such demos where turn is allowed on SR50. It's not easy because it is faster, it is easy because it's simpler. I think the difference in speed is so negligible anyways, that there are no such demos that couldn't be replicated with no SR50 on turns.

Looper said:

It's not easy because it is faster, it is easy because it's simpler.

This is crucially important as Doom is one of the hardest games to TAS that I know.

I recorded the first level in the Sega 32X version of Doom:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYNJRknayFI

This is a much simpler game than the PC version, but it is still way too laborious, so I won't continue the run. The second level was already an RNG manipulation hell. Doom is insanely hard game to TAS! Absolutely mad! Anything that helps simplifying the TAS creation process is a great blessing.

MD922 said:

I honestly feel that I'm not going to finish my TAS. It seems not worth it to finish it if Clumsy already will have a run done when I finish and immediately post it after I'm done. And off of Akse's words, either I finish the TAS and get smashed by Clumsy again, or spend another WHOLE month just to go back to E1M2 and do a glide that I don't know how to build, or manage with rerecording.

You might actually get smashed by someone else, 2002ado is a pretty popular wad. Missing such a huge timesaver is really bad. If you can't make glides - it's bad, but I can teach you.
You also may need some practice, so I suggest you trying making a nomonster TAS - there is already a record (and it's pretty bad IMO), so you can beat it and set the goal for normal UV-Speed run. Then you can just optimize the uv-speed demo until its time matches nomonsters one.
As for getting bugged by the other people... One of the best ways to improve is competing with more skilled people.
Learn to use wall running, thing running, use DRE more frequently (but not too much) and my run may become obsolete before I even release it. :D
P.S.: Sorry for off-topic.

Used some of your advice (wallrunning more, thingrunning, etc) and
I was able to pull off Scythe 2 Map 01 UV-Speed in 17.97
I looked in XDRE for when I wallrunned and thingrunned. I wallrunned right before the yellow door (for about 3 tics) and by the demon area I wallrunned (for like 8 tics) and I thingrunned on the ending rev for like 1 tic. Anyway, I mainly used XDRE for this. Can't believe that Akse left an 18 in his E1 TAS, as 17 looked very doable.

s201x017.zip

MD922 said:

I honestly feel that I'm not going to finish my TAS.

No! Where is your TAS spirit? Don't be such a bad example for the children.

AD_79 said:

Finish it anyways, I (and other people, I would assume) want to see it.

Exactly.

MD922 said:

or spend another WHOLE month just to go back to E1M2 and do a glide that I don't know how to build, or manage with rerecording.

As you may know, that's exactly what happened with my e3 and e4 movies. It was depressing, that's for sure. And you know what i did? I grabbed myself by the balls, i went back to e3/4m2, and i rerecorded the whole episode. It was worth it! I can help you with the glide btw.

MD922 said:

Can't believe that Akse left an 18 in his E1 TAS, as 17 looked very doable.

As i said - i wasn't such a badass back there.

Grazza said:

However, that is not the case, and the setting allows tics that aren't possible to produce in any way in-game (without using -turbo).

It is technically possible with the control api, though. Is that enough? :p

Since I won't finish my 2002ado TAS, (don't worry I have another project for a TAS I'm working on now and Akse, just know it's one of your TASes :)) here yall go, have it. I want to see if someone can guess what run it is that I'm working on :p

2002adounfinished.zip

I was hoping people who 100% didn't know what I was going to do to answer :p but yeah I'm doing Scythe 2 Episode 01. I've done maps 1 and 2 and I've improved Akse's runs by 2 seconds so far :)

MD922 said:

2002ado TAS

Jerky... but it's ok for something you'd expect from a ,khem, beginner.

MD922 said:

Scythe 2 Episode 01. I've done maps 1 and 2 and I've improved Akse's runs by 2 seconds so far :)

Let's hope it's not as jerky as your previous movie. It's not? You have my blessings then.

well, it shouldn't look as jerky, and I'm not saying it's that it is as smooth as possible. It should hopefully be watchable, but if need be use Smooth Demo Playback :p