Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Fulgrim

Resident Evil: HD Remaster

Holering said:

I don't understand why the original Win95 game isn't re-released in HD yet (or available as unlockable).

I lol'd at the idea of the original game being re-released in HD. Sure the standard pre-rendered backgrounds could probably stand to be updated with actual 640x480 images to match the resolution of the PC port, but all-out 'hi-def'? Doesn't need it. Those old backgrounds and models will only look so good at higher resolutions, then it's just a waste of time and resources.

As for why the game itself hasn't been re-released at all, I'm guessing either source code loss/licensing issues and such gubbins or because there simply isn't enough demand for it. I'd love to have had it as an unlockable or just an extra for REHD though. The inconsistent gamespeed of 'RE96' on a modern OS is only entertaining for a short while, then it becomes a bastard which is more of a danger than Tyrant at the end of the game.

In tandem with what Baron said, I'd just like to point out that Capcom may no longer even have workstations to read and modify the original game in the first place. Some of the computer screens in RE2 suggest Capcom used non-Windows based computers; I think they used something called the "Air" workstation but I've never found anything useful pertaining to what the computer was.

Then there's the simple fact that, along with the source code that Baron mentioned, it's unlikely Capcom even has the original background models anymore. In order to re-build Resident Evil, you'd need:

• The original background models.
  • The collision models that went along with them; who the hell knows how Capcom built them, or if they're in any type of model format that can even be read by Capcom staff. A third party hacking tool that was released suggests that Resident Evil levels are 2D(?) akin to Doom(?) Were there ever any floor-over-floor sections, ignoring crate pushing puzzles?
  • The source code, duh.
  • The in-game models, sound, music, movies, and lots of other bits I'm forgetting.

BaronOfStuff said:

Those old backgrounds and models will only look so good at higher resolutions, then it's just a waste of time and resources.

Considering how the original game was a low-budget project that the staff expected to bomb upon release, very little time and effort was put into the original game's level artwork. Some of the rooms are hollow boxes with textures. HOLLOW. BOXES. Good luck making that look presentable in 640x480. :P

The original Resident Evil was ported to the Nintento DS as 'Resident Evil: Deadly Silence" back in 2006.

They must still have the resources at hand because it's not only a carbon copy, but it has new features in it that utilize the DS's touch screen capability.

I'd say the reason it hasn't been re-released is that there's little to no demand for it. After all the DS port received little praise because not much was introduced aside from a little knife swiping mini-game.

Six said:

The original Resident Evil was ported to the Nintento DS as 'Resident Evil: Deadly Silence" back in 2006.

They must still have the resources at hand because it's not only a carbon copy, but it has new features in it that utilize the DS's touch screen capability.

REDS is most likely an enhanced port of the PSX version. It's indeed very probable that they still have all those resources on hand. Other ports from the era though -- namely the PC and Sega Saturn versions -- either used different resources and/or were handled by a different development team. There's no guarantee at all that this stuff still exists (especially the Saturn stuff), and rebuilding the PC version's engine/workings just for some re-release wouldn't really be an efficient use of time and money on Capcom's part.

I really would love to see it happen, but it's not going to. If it does, I'll eat dry toast for a fucking year without chewing.

I don't see the problem with re96 in HD. I can understand the backgrounds needing reprocessed (with option to use low res?), but the low poly models seem great IMO. I think it adds to the imagination and horror-suspense of the player (me). It kinda reminds me of "Zelda Wind Waker" vs "Twilight Princess". WW seems much more imaginative, fun and fantasy like with the "fake graphics"; whereas TP despite being a great game, seems more dull with "realistic graphics". If we wanted to play games to enjoy and avoid reality, what's the point if it's trying to simulate what you experience in real life? Isn't that why books are available to people?

I guess I'll go ahead and assume re96 re-released will never happen.