Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kmxexii

Strife: Veteran Edition

Nah, not that obvious. for this bug to show you have to save, quit and then reload and I guess nobody ever thought of that...

Either way I wouldn't hold your breath for a fix in SVE because adding that information to saves now would break everybody's save files, and people are really cranky about that.

Maybe you could cheat and just set the default position to somewhere in the room? That way if it's not saved in the file it will use those coordinates instead of 0,0,0 or whatever the current behavior is. Wouldn't make them spawn where the first form died exactly but it's better than seemingly not spawning them at all!

Quasar said:

Either way I wouldn't hold your breath for a fix in SVE because adding that information to saves now would break everybody's save files, and people are really cranky about that.

I'd suggest to do what I did in ZDoom when finding out that for whatever reason the spawn position is bogus: Use the Entity's actual position instead. That's still better than having the sub-entities spawn at random spots. And it won't require a change to the savegame format.

scaled said:

Would it be something fixable in code?

You ask this to a bunch of programmers talking about the code already. Quasar of whom is one of the programmers of SVE.

What kind of question is this?

scaled said:

Would it be something fixable in code?

Yes, anything is fixable in the code. This is an odd question. The concern is that fixing the bug will break all existing savegames and make them unloadable. This would cause many users to be annoyed that updated without looking at the changes.

I'm sure it'd be possible to make sure old saves are still loaded.

Gez said:

I'm sure it'd be possible to make sure old saves are still loaded.

Graf's idea of avoiding the need is better, but it has issues as well. To be safe, the Entity would need to spawn the Sub-Entities in a fashion similar to how Pain Elementals work. However that entails destroying the Sub-Entities if their spawn location is invalid, and that would cause the game to award the final boss fight to the player for free if the Entity just happens to die in the right location. In a game with achievements, it's not really a good idea to add in exploitable stuff like that.

Probably a solution where the Entity continually refreshes its global position variables using spawnpoint info inherited from the egg object that spawns it would be best in this situation.

Hey Kaiser & company,

Today I finished my playthrough of Strife: Veteran Edition. Admirable work across the board; this port is very robust and polished, though I have a couple minor complaints or bug reports to give about it anyway.

1. Aiming up or down without autoaim is very bad - shots fired never land on target. It seems my weapon is only aiming at a fraction of the camera's pitch. Very noticeable with projectile weapons (ie rockets) although it affects hitscan weapons like the machinegun too.

2. There's a small visual glitch that occurs with the lightmaps on sectors with moving floors/ceilings. The shadows mapped to the walls will stretch up and down as the wall's height grows or diminishes. Example pics:

A platform somewhere in the factory.

Nearing the top, you can see the shadow has stretched from being very vertical to being decidedly horizontal.

More stretching.

Gone.

In still pictures the glitch doesn't look so bad, but in motion it looks very weird.

Maybe to fix this you could lock the shadowmap on the wall and remove shadow mapping on sectors tagged to move as elevators/doors? That would make things way more visually consistent imo.

3. Although I played the whole campaign through and got the good ending, when I closed the game after winning I realized that I was still missing the achievements "Silence is Golden" and "Lending a Hand" which is somewhat preposterous given that I would've had to fulfill the conditions for both achievements by the time I won the game.

Still, as I mentioned before you guys did good work on this rerelease and you should be proud of what you've done. At the very least, you got me to give Strife a full and proper play through, which may be an accomplishment in and of itself, heh...

Not that the game is bad (I enjoyed it), but it does wear on after a while, probably as a consequence of its rather mazy levels and subdued run and gun gameplay, like Hexen.

1. Aiming up or down without autoaim is very bad - shots fired never land on target. It seems my weapon is only aiming at a fraction of the camera's pitch. Very noticeable with projectile weapons (ie rockets) although it affects hitscan weapons like the machinegun too.

This seems to be carried over from Doom 64 EX. Bullets tend to prefer to hit the top of the nearest wall instead of any ceiling you're aiming at, if it's close enough.

Cross post from the steam forums. Figure less of a faux pas to post the full text here rather than a link and summary. I dunno how good the idea is, but it is an idea so might as well share.

The wiki, or maybe one of the posts I'd read, mentioned the initial idea being to redo the in game assets with slightly higher quality but time and funding not existing. How much would that cost? Just as a ballpark estimate how much would redoing the in game assets be?

Additionally how hard would it be for an artist to match the game's art style? I ask since it felt like the guy at the forge giving infodump deserved a slideshow set of images to show things off much like macil going on about the Programmer. How much would it cost to do a few slides of art and record a couple lines that match in game audio quality?

Is there a chance we could chip in and make these things happen? I figure if nothing else having maybe some added assets to play with would be kinda nice.

Kickstarter probably wouldn't be the best idea depending on how you handled rewards but I figure why not list a couple 'if more money than needed came in' goals.

Maps:
Convert 'Day of the Acolyte' and 'Return of the Order' to run on this engine. A map somehow tying the two together would be nice but simply having Kaiser's already existing material playable would be nice. I don't know if it would e as relatively straightforward as changing some linedefs and making sure it's formatted correctly, or if map size/complexity would prevent this from being easy to do. It's just two very well done maps already exist.

Make a bounty to see if any other mappers could be scared up to make a sort of third episode/map pack? At the very least try getting 'raiding the dam' and 'absolute order' would be great, and they're both from the same gut. Again. It would be nice if somehow all of these maps could be tied together and interconnected, but considering they weren't designed to I dunno.

More Death match/Capture the Chalice maps? More of those are always nice.

Assets:
Make a few extra portrays images for future mappers to have. Examples being a couple female front troopers (hey they're dead already if caught. Sure they can't just blend in a crowd, but I expect more than a few women would want to fight given the chance,) Timothy and the Forge guy, a random/generic 'mutant' other than Waren, and or an image for the item shop guy/armorer (to go with Quincy's image that goes with the medic's sprite.)

Rewards:
No idea what could be offered per reward teirs if y went with a kick starter alike 'donate x get y but donate z and get something else.' On the one hand getting beta/early access for, say, $25 seems OK if enough people chip in, but what if someone chipped in for $5, or $15? Sure there's the 'thank you and we are grateful' $1 amount, but we don't want to have huge chunks of the reward money going into swag.

Then again having some cheapies with the strife logo on them (or front/Order logos such as coffee mugs, mice pads, or the like...) T-shirt Idea: Breast pocket styalized Sigil logo. Back of shirt image being a high red of the quit screen,

Above image: 'Fight for the Front and Freedom'
Below Image: Move Out!

Alt image idea, since I'm pretty sure having something with more than a couple colors costs a lot, is a black edge stencil of Macil's face.

I like the idea of logo coffee mugs/Mice Pads/etc better. Easier and cheaper to do single color logos for Front and Order.

Again, I dunno though. I'm not sure how much just getting the work done would cost and I don't want too much taken out of any sort of crowd funding, which is going to be limited, for swag.

I'm kinda sleep deprived because dogs howling at things. Sorry if the idea's unworkable, but I figure share before I forget to ask.

No, but having a number to shoot for means maybe the rest of us can chip in.

I'd like to think I'm serious here. This is something we should at least attempt. It's just going to take everyone to come close to enough.

Edit: I mean the question has been asked earlier in thread. I don't know if we can pool that much, but it's now a known. Unless you're being off the cuff, which I doubt since redrawing everything plus potentially new assets and map conversions plus securing rights to distribute a couple maps that already exist isn't cheap.

That isn't even going into the idea of a bounty to try getting the community to do stuff since right now there's like... Five strife maps and only one of them right now might work as is since it's simply limit removed.

I have my doubts, especially since I'm not sure how much enthusiasm anyone else has. It's just one of those late night/insomniatic ideas I went 'what the hell, ask' on.

SVEGWS:SNOG

I get that Grim Fandango is much bigger news, but come on!

I have serious doubts that this community could raise that much money for a serious visual overhaul of Doom, let alone Strife.

I doubt we'll ever see Doom with real time lighting, bumpmapping and hd textures like Duke Nukem 3D already has. :(

I know you're being sarcastic, but the fact that Doom optionally has all of those things now doesn't exactly qualify as an "HD remake" of ALL of the game's assets. It's not hard for me to argue for example that every replacement anyone has ever attempted for the character sprite sheets in doom have been kind of shit. That goes twice for all the md2 model packs out there.

Actually, the only visual upgrade project I've had hope for when it comes to eventually replacing all of doom's sprites was the doom voxel project, but that doesn't exactly increase the resolution of the sprites so much as 3d-ify them. Plus most people don't seem to have much interest in the project at all anyway.

I wasn't being sarcastic, the point I'm making is one game has mods which add such things while Doom still doesn't, sure there's higher res texture packs available but certain real time graphical effects still haven't been done yet.

There are numerous source ports for doom which support dynamic lights and geometry shaders like bumpmapping.

I remember doomsday having some kind of enhanced texture project. Moreover Vavoom has high resolution textures.

I still say we should at least try raising the money for a professional redraw of everything rather than throw hands up and say it can't be ddone. In the meantime how do I get vavoom's stuff to work?

I think it would be a colossal waste of time, effort, and money to fund any sort of project that focuses entirely on replacing a game's already high-quality art assets and then doing nothing else. In the hypothetical sense that $10,000 were to suddenly arrive at someone's doorstep earmarked for making new Strife content, I'd rather see it used for something of value like new maps, enemies, weapons, an expansion pack, a sequel (if the budget gets expanded more), etc.

I'll grant you that, but a few extra comic-stills wouldn't be a bad this along with art to be used by mappers for different characters.

Even with that you're right. The mapping is a mess, especially after the town/castle hub stops being the prime focus. The Commons is good, and I like the Bailey. However :

The security complex in the baily is a mess.

Every factory level (conversion chapel, forge, and such,) especially the proving grounds, just plain makes no sense.

The borderlands really should have been bigger, a level unto itself to represent a trek. Something with secrets, side areas, and so on.

More separation between the oracle's temple bishop's territory, and the Commons would have been nice. Give a sense of space and of each being distinct territory.

Hey has anyone gotten the source to compile?

Mostly because I have no idea what I'm doing and want an idiot's guide.

Gez said:

SVEGWS: SNOG.

NightDive is now taunting us about it.

I did bring this up recently with the CEO. There's still a chance but it looks like he might be holding out for the Galaxy API. Nothing certain, don't take it to the presses :P

Gez said:

SVEGWS: SNOG.

What is that thing you keep including in your posts?

Well, I know what SVE is...