Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cadman

Community Chest 5

The Green Herring said:
However, I want to do so when the majority of people on this forum don't have e.g. school, work, and other projects (Doom-related or not) bogging them down.

Well, good luck with that.
Obviously people will always be busy with other projects - some of which you'll probably never be aware of until the release ( e.g. Valiant ).

That being said, I'm glad you're still around and that you decided to stick to a Boom-compatible format ( which is IMHO part of the CC identity and appeal ).
Like many others here I'd be interested to contribute ( no promises though, my free time has drastically been reduced ), we'll see how it goes.

Thanks for keeping us informed. :)

esselfortium said:

TGH manages Community Chest.

TimeOfDeath said:

Well I think it's interesting because, from what I can tell, TGH wasn't even involved with cchest1/2 and wasn't leader of cchest3. He only lead cc4 while Cadman lead cc1/2. Not being a dick, it just seems a bit confusing.

I believe what he means is that I'm the current manager of Community Chest. I was indeed not the leader of Community Chest 3—officially. I became a de facto leader, however, when I compiled the WAD, because I noticed things the official project leader Andy Leaver didn't. Such as, for example, that the original submission for MAP08 was a blatant troll map with flat and tiny design, only two textures, and a HOM door. Apparently, Andy hadn't loaded the level himself. Thus, Andy and I had to hurriedly make a replacement based on one of Andy's old maps, which likely accounts for some of the bugs present (like parts of nukage that don't damage). Soon after, I led CC4—and as described in an earlier post, the person I suggested could be my co-leader started the project without consulting with me first, which is contrary to what the "co-" in "co-leader" implies. My moderator position is in part because when Death-Destiny left, he left me with no other way to update his sign-up thread. (I wound up making a new one later, of course, when I revised the submission rules.)

Just putting in some clarification here. :)

esselfortium said:

The distributed version of CC4-tex is just the resource wad as it was originally given to mappers, so it's not an issue of intentional removal: it simply doesn't include any of the extras that were added by authors for their maps. You'd have to ask the respective authors whether they're okay with reuse of their work.

Thanks for the heads-up, essel. I have an upcoming project that would love those textures, so I'll give lupinx-kassman a call.

SteveD said:

Thanks for the heads-up, essel. I have an upcoming project that would love those textures, so I'll give lupinx-kassman a call.

Also worth noting: Some of them are Kassman's original work, but a bunch of them are from Dark Forces, so you can look there too!

esselfortium said:

Also worth noting: Some of them are Kassman's original work, but a bunch of them are from Dark Forces, so you can look there too!

Wow, it's been so long since I played Dark Forces that I didn't recognize them, but now that you mention it, it all comes flooding back. ;)

Well, I guess that answers it...good luck with the project. I will back away from it...Cadman will continue with his project...thanks everyone.

SFoZ911 said:

I really want to see more Use3D maps. His CC3 maps were freaking big and awesome.

Thanks, and after a short conversation with TGH it looks like 'Anchorite' can be easily re-purposed for cc5. If I submit it, I'll be the first one done this time! teehee.

I actually had a dream I signed up for this project last night. I really wish I could get back into mapping. I'll see where this goes.

Dammit. I keep getting excited when I see this thread. I hope we all get un-busy pretty soon. :P

My attempt for creating a map to cc4 (despite being unsuccessfull) was ¨¢m incredible joy and fun! I'm ready to repeat it at any time - and maybe I can even finish something this time, so...I'm absolutely opened for cc5!

Also, if I can give a hint: the atmosphere of the third Community Chest was somehow different and better than the others. Maybe it's just an emotional thing but if there's anyone who agrees, then I would suggest to make cc5 something similar.

Cadman said:

Well, I guess that answers it...good luck with the project. I will back away from it...Cadman will continue with his project...thanks everyone.

Don't let it discourage you from starting your own thing up. CC1 was a damn fun megawad.

I wouldn't mind contributing to CC5 either. I'll try to keep in touch here and show some of my maps when the time comes.

Katamori said:

Also, if I can give a hint: the atmosphere of the third Community Chest was somehow different and better than the others. Maybe it's just an emotional thing but if there's anyone who agrees, then I would suggest to make cc5 something similar.

I agree 100% and I think the use of MBF sky transfers had a lot to do with it.

Many of the CC3 maps have very unique themes created by combing unique textures with a unique sky texture. I got the impression that the mapmakers were doing everything possible to make their map truly creative and one of a kind.

While CC4 was a solid levelset, there weren't many unique or truly creative levels. I got the impression that many of the mapmakers limited their creativity in order to make their level fit with the episode's expected theme and sky texture.

I'm glad that the Green Herring said that MBF sky transfers would be brought back for any possible CC5.

Doom_user said:

While CC4 was a solid levelset, there weren't many unique or truly creative levels. I got the impression that many of the mapmakers limited their creativity in order to make their level fit with the episode's expected theme and sky texture.

This was also caused by the proposed texture pack. Many people just used it instead of collecting the graphics on their own, and that resulted in a some kind of a theme that I think isn't really needed in CC. I didn't help that a lot of the textures were quite ugly in my opinion (ewwwww garish recolors, EWWWWW E1 and E3 skies).

Man you guys and your community chests, if only my mapping skills were good enough to attribute to this. :(

Omnistar said:

Is there a certain limit of maps one can send?

Designers will likely be limited to three maps in the roster per person, to prevent any one user from taking e.g. half the entire map list. If any of the three maps ends up being rejected, another map can take its place.

Doom_user said:

There were no expected/predefined themes in CC4; only sky textures. The themes present in each episode were the result of the texture choices made by the designers for their levels rather than any specific executive order.