Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sigvatr

Things about Doom you just found out

I doubt they were not able. Rather they did not want to provide a map. For realism's sake? To enhance the feeling of being lost? Rather "none at all" than "just not 3D"?

LigH said:

I doubt they [Doom 3 developers] were not able. Rather they did not want to provide a map. For realism's sake? To enhance the feeling of being lost? Rather "none at all" than "just not 3D"?

Probably because it'd require additional work for them, which they didn't consider necessary. :)

Da Werecat said:

Considering that their biggest successes were based on throwing away most of what was envisioned and sticking to basics...

I'm curious how you would finish the statement, in regards to idSoftware being lazy, wise or something else - I'm not sure how you've meant it.

glenzinho said:

Because you don't need a map in Doom 3 because linearity?

Some of the later levels aren't all that linear. Even Doom 3's linear levels aren't linear in the CoD sense.

If you want a CoD-like level of linearity in the levels, look at Rage. I laughed when I read some guy quip in a preview that he couldn't navigate the levels. Unless they completely changed the level layouts between those few months before the game shipped, the guy's an idiot.

So that's why the stock is so ridiculously small on the E4 end screen, they didn't want to try to draw what was hidden behind Doomguy's butt originally.

Well, it makes little sense anyway, because the way he's holding it he could just have held it further back anyway.

It's strange how distorted they made the buildings in the end screen look, was it by any chance rushed?

Avoozl said:

It's strange how distorted they made the buildings in the end screen look, was it by any chance rushed?

Here's a better question:

Why does that skyscraper look like that? Is it supposed to be a giant featureless mirror?

Linguica said:

Why does that skyscraper look like that? Is it supposed to be a giant featureless mirror?

Why not? Most of the buildings on the picture are featureless.

Avoozl said:

Typical cartoony perspective. Looks appropriate for the ending's tone.

Avoozl said:

Just take a look at the SSG, the gradients on the two barrels look curved. I guess it was drawn too.

Linguica said:

The bunny ending was originally a sketch; I believe Romero said it was drawn by Adrian Carmack. In the original sketch, you can clearly see that the mysterious object to the left is a building. It all likeliness, what your looking in the final artwork is a coloring error. If you look at the top right of the erroneous structure, you can clearly see what appears to be a bit of "building" that was never finished.

Edit: Here's the original sketch. The error is clearly visible on the top left, suggesting that Adrian may simply may not have bothered to finish the drawing and the subsequent building for that matter. You can clearly see the silhouette of the building and what appears to be preliminary shading.

While we studing this picture, I got interested by those brown tree-like somethings on the left. On the sketch it looks more like street lamps. Heh, I guess.

Linguica said:

Here's a better question:

Is this a building?

It's probably a mistake, there's no such thing as smooth mirror skyscrapers.

hehe, I remember that. I seem to recall people were actually cooking their breakfast using nothing but the heat from that building.

Gez said:

Well, Doom is science-fiction after all, so perhaps in future there will be seamless mirror buildings.

Gez:

There's also no such thing as windowless skyscrapers made of stone.

BlueFeena said:

If you look at the top right of the erroneous structure, you can clearly see what appears to be a bit of "building" that was never finished.

It's a smoke reflection.

Da Werecat said:

There's also no such thing as windowless skyscrapers made of stone.

But the demons did subvert the architecture as said in Doom 2's ingame story.