Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tracer

A ten level prequel idea.

So your fellow marines died and than were reanimated as zombie monsters and hung out around the base, and than they got possessed by evil spirits? Why did they turn into zombie monsters in the first place, too much furious masturbation?

Piper Maru said:

So your fellow marines died and than were reanimated as zombie monsters and hung out around the base, and than they got possessed by evil spirits? Why did they turn into zombie monsters in the first place, too much furious masturbation?

You can never have too much furious masturbation.

The possession by evil spirits is what reanimated their corpses.

Piper Maru said:

If you pull this off you may very well win a Cacoward!

Well, that'd be pretty cool!

My solution for a prequel is to play as a different marine, you can establish that early on with a mirror that shows the character isn't Doomguy.

Added bonus is that you can make simple glove and hud changes/recolors and use a different sound for the grunting. To keep things fresh.

Expanding on my previous post about the story, maybe the player can be a mercenary sent by UAC to investigate the loss of communication, gameplay would involve modified hitscan weapons weaker than Doomguy's, the enemies will have less health, too and there will be friendly marines trying to survive.

Our special operative has one disadvantage though, he cannot wear armor!

Main objective is to send out a distress call to Earth, but it will turn out that long range comms are busted, only guy that responds is a marine stranded outside the base running out of oxygen, you let him in in E1M1 but you have to take your own life because you feel Hell's grasp taking over. You hope that he is stronger than you ... there is no help coming.

EDIT: Main boss can be a Baron of Hell more dangerous than the normal one, he is the commander of Hell's Vanguard, maybe the boss battle can take place in E1M1's courtyard, his dead body decaying in that acid pool unbeknownst to the Doomguy starting his adventure.

VGA said:

My solution for a prequel is to play as a different marine, you can establish that early on with a mirror that shows the character isn't Doomguy.

Added bonus is that you can make simple glove and hud changes/recolors and use a different sound for the grunting. To keep things fresh.

Expanding on my previous post about the story, maybe the player can be a mercenary sent by UAC to investigate the loss of communication, gameplay would involve modified hitscan weapons weaker than Doomguy's, the enemies will have less health, too and there will be friendly marines trying to survive.

Our special operative has one disadvantage though, he cannot wear armor!

Main objective is to send out a distress call to Earth, but it will turn out that long range comms are busted, only guy that responds is a marine stranded outside the base running out of oxygen, you let him in in E1M1 but you have to take your own life because you feel Hell's grasp taking over. You hope that he is stronger than you ... there is no help coming.

EDIT: Main boss can be a Baron of Hell more dangerous than the normal one, he is the commander of Hell's Vanguard, maybe the boss battle can take place in E1M1's courtyard, his dead body decaying in that acid pool unbeknownst to the Doomguy starting his adventure.

I dig this idea, brother. Save for the bossfight. I like the idea of a stronger Baron as the boss, just not in E1M1s courtyard. Only because I absolutely love the idea of your character having to take his own life. Maybe after you kill the boss Baron, an audio clip can play that says something to the effect of, "You may have destroyed my body, but I will continue living within you."

What if the protagonist is simply referred to as B.J.? That would bridge the gap between Wolfenstein and Doom, and play on the notion that Blaskowicz and Doomguy are related.

Start

First room you enter give you ammunition

Step toward door, it opens automatically, revealing a hallway with one doorway on each side.

Doorway on the left will give you armor.

Doorway on the right will give more weaponry.

This would be a Map01 replacement, but it's technically an intro map. No monsters, This just let's you stock up on ammo and armor, give sets the mood...just an idea.

Just gonna go out there and say that those screens make this "map" look like shit.

If that is the intro (the map that hooks you in) then I can tell you (from my own experiences during some crappy adventures into mapping fuckery) that it will need to be much more impressive than that to keep people playing and taking it seriously, really sell the player on the world he is in and make it interesting (Because nobody wants to go down to the brown town of beige to have fun).

Normally, this wouldn't matter much because the gameplay could save it but as you said there is no monsters (so that kind of becomes a problem).

Personally, I feel that a prequel to the original episode should be old school (the way ID did) and according to my story going to take place in some UAC comms relay facility, so techbase style with a lot of computer equipment and antennas :-D

If someone is interested, PM me.

VGA said:

Personally, I feel that a prequel to the original episode should be old school (the way ID did) and according to my story going to take place in some UAC comms relay facility, so techbase style with a lot of computer equipment and antennas :-D

If someone is interested, PM me.

Why don't you and TraceOfSpades collaborate?

If you want to use some sprites for friendly marines, there's quite a variety here. All the marine sprites are from Doom: Rampage Edition, generally considered one of the worst mods of all time, but the sprite work was actually pretty good. There's also a few things from Duke, Shadow Warrior, Alpha Doom and a bunch of tweaks and edits by myself. The resources add up pretty well for a "pre-hell invasion" scenario.

Even those screenshots remind me of UAC rebellion, which makes me worry about potentially cramped design. They have an oldschool look which appeals to me personally, just make sure to add little bits of "eye candy" here and there, like windows into a bigger outside world and other decorations - You don't have to go overboard by any means.

Is there a download availible that I'm missing? I'd be happy to offer advice/assistance if you'd like.

I am guilty of prematurely showcasing my products quite often. These screenshots are of an immensely unfinished intro map. I was merely bouncing the idea of an intro "gear up" map off of you guys here. While some of the thoughts on it were a bit more frank than I would have preferred, it is that bluntness that solves problems the quickest. I'll get to work on sprucing this up, and instead of making the whole level a gear up session, this will just be the beginning of the map. After gearing up, you'll be dropped right into battle.

Honestly, the map doesn't look bad at all to me, just slightly cramped. I'm a sucker for old-style maps though, so take my opinion with a grain of salt :)

Breezeep said:

Why would you test your maps with brutal doom?

TraceOfSpades mentioned in several of his previous threads that he loves Brutal Doom. It has already been explained to him that he shouldn't rely on the assumption that everybody likes BD.

People may not like the mod, but there is no harm in swapping the mod out and testing with and without it.

But largely he doesn't have to test with it, as it is geared to work with standard maps anyway.

Oh well, it's a cool idea though...if you want a stronger Baron, you could use my cheesy Baron I did for my Cathedral level....the sprite work is a bit rough though, I'm not sure how that would bother anyone.

Breezeep said:

Why would you test your maps with brutal doom?

I like Brutal Doom.

Perhaps you can satisfy my curiosity now. What difference does it make, especially here?

Essentially if you're making maps that are not specifically for Brutal Doom, you run the risk of producing some badly balanced stuff at the end of it, since BD makes many large changes to the gameplay.

As long as you test it without Brutal Doom and make sure it's balanced without the mod, there's not really anything to worry about, but that is an absolute must if these aren't meant to be played with BD.

TraceOfSpades said:

Perhaps you can satisfy my curiosity now. What difference does it make, especially here?

Are you planning this project around Brutal Doom?

Du Mhan Yhu said:

Are you planning this project around Brutal Doom?

Of course not. That would narrow my audience. It will be made with standard doom in mind.

So far it looks pretty 128 pixels tall. Get some more variety and non-linearity in there. Then see what you like and don't like as you get used to learning how the map editor works..

I don't know but it seems like too many people are attempting to derail this thread and turn it into something it's not.

TheCupboard said:

So far it looks pretty 128 pixels tall. Get some more variety and non-linearity in there. Then see what you like and don't like as you get used to learning how the map editor works..

I don't know but it seems like too many people are attempting to derail this thread and turn it into something it's not.

I know how to make varying heights in maps. I just didn't see the necessity to here.

Sometimes, budings are boring in real life. That will help immerse the player.

The prequel could be ba based around the incident that led ot Doomguy being sent to Phobos. A jungle mod or something where he's stuck fighting guerillas that culminates in his superior getting punched inthe face for giving the order to kill civilians...

That could be cool. :)

TraceOfSpades said:

But if it helps increase your interest, I can include a part where doomguy takes a break to violently masturbate to escape from the state of mind war has put him in. It can be in first person view.

AARGH! I know this was a joke, but why did you have to give me that mental image?