Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grazza

Post Your Doom Picture (Part 2)

tourniquet, what does that look like in DB?

Olroda said:

I'd say that the second image looks best of those three. The enviroment has a sterile, somewhat hospital-like look. A laboratory, perhaps?

Yep, I tend to like the ascetic aesthetic.

Memfis said:

Yeah, I think all maps by Cupcake look like that. Very interesting and funny design.

Yeah part of why I like them is that they are evocative of architecture demons built from whatever material they could find. You can imagine them trying to build structures designed to lure humans into their traps, but being clueless about important details, like the materials actually mattering. It's sort of like how the Rick and Morty episode where aliens build a simulation has a bunch of images like this: http://i.imgur.com/Z8vSH0F.jpg.

They are very distinct from 1994 texture vomit in that individual objects are built from many odd textures, instead of many odd textures being present in the level but in their own large objects (1024x1024 doorstop rooms, etc.). And of course the architecture is competent and interesting.

Oh thanks for all the kind words.

Demon of the Well said:

Sort of 'Pale Monument' meets 'Zealous Machine.'

Yeah i always wanted to create a somewhat similar theme like "Pale Monument", i think now this urge will rest forever.

rdwpa said:

tourniquet, what does that look like in DB?

layers+layers+layers :p

Yeah the original pics in your thread were some of the best I'd seen all month.

Now it looks like a bunch of steampunk staple guns. All-blue was great. If you're looking for busyness, a more subtle overlay like energy filaments should work, but voids work great with the virtual internet theme.

Da Werecat said:

To be honest, the sky is so noisy you can barely see the architecture.

Hmm yeah, I have to agree with you here. The tech elements attract too much attention. They need to be more subtle. Not sure how I would do that though.

It's strange, last time I was told that pure SHAWNBLU is not that good...anyways, I think making the sky a little bit darker may help.

Either way, this sky is not too annoying in-game, when you move around. Maybe even from windows it can be OK, I guess only the overuse of the sky (both ceiling and floor) made it look crowded or something.

But I'm always opened to something else, if someone can make it better. Basically, I suck at it.

@tourniquet: Looks strangely convincing as a real place. Must be a real CPU-eater, though!

@Katamori: First shot, what is wall and what is sky...? You might be able to salvage it by considerably lowering the contrast on the sky texture, at least. I do really like the little Pokeman stadium in the last shot.

Edit: Help, this area is fugly as sin, and I'm not sure how to fix it!

I'm not sure if it's just the textures... They're probably fine on their own, I'm just not sure how to use them in relation to each other...

For my next project. Hopefully to be a success since what I post are mostly fails :'(

I'll keep trying and won't give up.

Made with GMImageEditor.

Jaxxoon R said:Edit: Help, this area is fugly as sin

What? I'd play that.

Suggestions: http://i.imgur.com/h9nJZrx.png: 1) Line the stepshole (gold) with thin metallic support. The transition is incomplete somehow. 2) Ditch the support on the right, that texture if nothing else (blue). 3) Get rid of the segments of support that look glued on (red).

You've got a scary face in there.

valkiriforce said:

No promises.

Then I'm just going to copy what I see in that screenshot and make it myself!

Nice to see you again :)

Jaxxoon R: I'd try to unify the colour palette, perhaps ditching the cool blues and purples, for something warmer. The rock texture is the dominant one in that area so the other tones need to complement that.

valkiriforce: Very atmospheric.

@ rdwpa & Urthar: I've taken both your suggestions into account. I made the supports dig into the rock as opposed to simply sitting on top, I've also reworked the geometry just a tiny bit. I have a soft spot for cool/organic tones though, so I simply shifted the rock texture to match the other textures. Now it's a neat gunmetal color:

Also

You've got a scary face in there.

Ha, it's amazing what horrible things happen when you compress lowres images.

While I kind of like those textures they do look a little jpg'd, I mean the purple and green mixture of pixels in some of the grey textures just doesn't look that good.