Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dobu gabu maru

NOVA II - Ver. 1.2 on /idgames (now with no missing keycards!)

Jaxxoon R said:

How do I use your demo thing? I tried to feed it to Chocolate Doom but it apparently didn't like it so it crashed.

Yeah drag and drop it onto prboom+, if your wad is in the same folder it should just work.

Jaxxoon R said:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/161031419/Jack's%20Part%20V4.wad

Fixed some exploits you found, added some more "secrets", made it more obvious the banister had a lift (no need for strafejumping), and made it more optimised for multiplayer.

Nice, had a go, plays well. Some of those secrets are a bit stingy!

Meanwhile here is map30 yet again, with tweaks and multiplayer starts.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/nb0gi9bjja22dox/nova2-30_feb25.zip

I didn't bother with deathmatch as I'd have to figure out the sector mechanics and I'm a bit lazy.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/b3xhul3xn4na3x0/davem32v3.zip

Okay, version, um, 3? Yeah. This is easily the most difficult map I've ever made, thus trying to get the right balance of health and ammo is essential.. Let me know what you think. I still have to make it look pretty, so please forgive the lack of detail and lighting in some areas.

I need to go and lie down for bit.

OK, so I'm back with yet more texture compiling issues because I'm fucking retarded and don't know what I'm doing!!

Basically, I'm trying to get these textures to show up in my map. I have added them to my actual map .wad file, which gives me a Signal 11 error upon playing the map (testing in PRBoom+), and I've tried putting them in their own separate .wad file and including them in the texture resource in Doom Builder 2, and they don't show up what-so-ever. In both of these situations the textures actually show up in visual mode in DB2, so I don't know what the fuck. I'm clearly missing something obvious but this shit makes no sense to me, so I would appreciate it if someone helped out with this so I can actually finish my map because holy shit I actually have most of it built now!!

Perhaps you should post the map here, then i could take a look at it because i just tried your textures as resource and everything worked as intended, i've tested it with PrBoom+ 2.5.1.3.

an_mutt said:

Basically, I'm trying to get these textures to show up in my map. I have added them to my actual map .wad file, which gives me a Signal 11 error upon playing the map (testing in PRBoom+), and I've tried putting them in their own separate .wad file and including them in the texture resource in Doom Builder 2, and they don't show up what-so-ever. In both of these situations the textures actually show up in visual mode in DB2, so I don't know what the fuck. I'm clearly missing something obvious but this shit makes no sense to me, so I would appreciate it if someone helped out with this so I can actually finish my map because holy shit I actually have most of it built now!!

I made a test map using your texture recource wad in doom builder and had no problem. I then added the textures to the test wad using slade and tried it in prboom+ and works ok.

Here's the test wad I made:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/dekaq64jnqf7lvq/test.wad

If that works for you in prboom then I guess you could try saving your map into that wad and see if it works?

The map is here, along with the intended sky. I think the issue boils down to the fact that there are now two different texture sets (and a sky in its own .wad, too) in the same map, and I have no idea how to have them both work together.

EDIT: yeah, I should have clarified, it's trying to get these textures to show up alongside two other texture .wads (the Nova pack and the sky) which is the issue.

an_mutt said:

The map is here, along with the intended sky. I think the issue boils down to the fact that there are now two different texture sets (and a sky in its own .wad, too) in the same map, and I have no idea how to have them both work together.

EDIT: yeah, I should have clarified, it's trying to get these textures to show up alongside two other texture .wads (the Nova pack and the sky) which is the issue.

No idea what's going on there, like you say, the an_tex.wad is making prboom crash when its loaded along with the nova_tex one. I tried adding all the textures from the nova and an_tex packs to your wad instead and it seems to work. Here's the amended wad in case it helps (i removed any nova stuff your map wasn't using)
http://www.mediafire.com/download/86f9yc8zvm3dlyx/nova2-b.zip

Ok i've put all new textures and the skies into one file but you still need to consider a few things.

- In case Dobu allows you to you use a custom sky the only way to use it without affecting all other E2 maps is via Sky Transfer.

- The Nova2 textures in combination with another texture resource conflict each other, plums suggested a workaround for this problem in the old Nova thread but i was too lazy to browse. Another solution would be to copy your map into the Nova2 texture pack and use the file above as resource in DB, once the map is done copy it back in into the resource wad. This will definitly work.

Edit: Mouldy's method also works, you just need to remove all the Nova-tex related textures once your'e map is done, otherwise some textures might get double defined

So we've got one open slot left. That brings up the question: should I bother trying to fill the slot with a map, or should I bow out and let someone else, like spaztacus, take over? I ask this because I took a look at Getsu Fune's hellromp map, and I think it would be a shame to let that map remain unfinished, since it looks pretty bad-ass. And if I were to give this one more shot, it would be between refining hellromp, which would let me concentrate on creating good monster and item placement, trying to start a new map, or going into Blood Red Sky with a hacksaw and trying to save that map.

just posting to say that if your gonna take one of my unfinished layouts, change the name please. also, you might want to add more to it, because it is unfinished, after all.

NuclearPotato said:

should I bother trying to fill the slot with a map, or should I bow out and let someone else, like spaztacus, take over?

I'll send spaztacus a PM to see if he still wants the position and we can see what he makes, but if he doesn't respond in a week you could tackle Getsu's map if you wish.

I did a thing

https://www.dropbox.com/s/l5dkf4zict3gnxv/22815.mid?dl=0

sort of weird mix between a certain riff from a Turok 2 song, the vocals from a Judas Priest song, DnB dance type music, dunno really

Could probably use a little less sloppy editing, in particular some fade ins and fade outs, but I just threw this together in like 3 hours so whatever. Drums also seem kind of boring as well.

almost forgot to mention, if you're gonna do hellromp, keep the music as well. I originally wanted it to be a WOS-like level and that's my favorite track from the wad. :)

Assuming I'm given the okay to go ahead (I'm just planning things out right now, since I don't want to get too far ahead of myself if spaztacus has something in the works), sure thing! (That accordion on the track is probably going to drive me mad by the end of this, though). I was actually wondering if you wanted to name the final map, seeing as how you made 80-90% of it, and all I'm doing is finishing it up.

the original title of the map was just some gibberish that I made up. in the end, I just removed the title and put a placeholder there. as of right now I don't know a good title for the map so I'll leave it up to you.

Nice, that's a pretty cool concept so far. Don't worry too much about going wild in terms of enemy count and length, players will obtain all weapons at the start of the map and i'm sure you'll be able to clean this place with BFG/RL in a few minutes so i guess you could still add some more enemies.

Working on difficulty setting for my map as I have none except UV. Will upload an update as soon as I finish playtesting.

Halp!!
So i wad fiddling around with Obsidian's lift/barrel jamming trick and everything worked as intended. Though after a while i realized that i was playtesting with Complevel 9 hence i switched back to CL2 and tested it again but unfortunately now it refuses to work anymore, the lift won't even lower.
I did a quick test of Obsidian's example map in Choco with the same results, it doesnt work. So does it mean that this trick won't work in CL2 or can somebody suggest a solution for this problem.

Edit: I use a somehow similar trick with a "Dummy AV" opening a door that also get's jammed by a barrel and it works as intended so i'm really clueless why it refuses to work with those lifts.

Sry double post. ^ I give up, the shit just doesn't work in CL2.

@mouldy: same for your map, the temporary lockin of the 2nd boss form doesn't work in CL2.

Yeah you are right, this trick is messing up in complevel 2. I'll have to strip it out of map30, its just too tempremental.

Cheers for testing that out, hope you can find an alternative. If you want a monster activated door to stay open there might be some trickery you could pull off by teleporting another monster underneath the dummy door to block it. Might be a bit of a bodge though.

mouldy said:

If you want a monster activated door to stay open there might be some trickery you could pull off by teleporting another monster underneath the dummy door to block it.

Oh thanks but the jam a door with a barrel method actually works flawless in CL2, as for the lifts i gonna try something else.

Ok, it turns out the reason map30 was broken in complevel 2 is nothing to do with the barrel trick. It was some monsters who were stuck in the floor, for some reason that stops other stuff from working. I remember a similar problem with a map in the first nova project, so mappers beware of putting monsters in places they don't physically fit.

Here is a fixed update:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/uor8longwyst4h8/nova2-30-mar12.zip

Howdy, i know it doesn't make much sense to post the Map32 hub without the other 5 submissions but i'd like to get some opinions regarding the final fight, it's pretty much mindless slaughter.
Accordingly i left the door leading to the finale open, all other portals just lead back to the start.

Hubhubhub --> Requires the recent Nova2 beta as resource to work properly.