Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

Things id got wrong

Krazov said:

But to be fair, I recall John Carmack insisting on software renderer in case of . . . Saturn Dooom?

Which I thought was a fairly grievous error on his part, given the copious amount of lag made it unplayable. While Duke 3D may have been simplified on the Saturn, it showed that the Saturn could probably have easily done something almost exactly like the Ps1 version of Doom if they were willing to settle for slightly warping textures. Even Quake ran well on it, if only because they just used the Slavedriver engine and added polygon objects to it.

The blood splatters when you shoot monsters are always red, even if their death sprites show that not all monsters have red blood -- Barons and Hell Knights have green blood, Cacodemons have blue blood. I wish the splatters matched the monsters. And I don't think there should be a splatter at all for Lost Souls.

Maybe it would make more sense if the Lost Souls dropped chips of skull or even bits of ash/dust.

Avoozl said:

Maybe it would make more sense if the Lost Souls dropped chips of skull or even bits of ash/dust.

Definitely agree -- I meant no splatter as in no blood. I think even the existing gray puff of smoke from bullets hitting walls would look okay, but the skull chips would be better.

SandGator said:

Definitely agree -- I meant no splatter as in no blood. I think even the existing gray puff of smoke from bullets hitting walls would look okay, but the skull chips would be better.

I've played a few mods that changed Lost Soul's blood to bullet puffs. People seem to like it. I don't. I find it unnatural looking, and I prefer them to bleed red. If they didn't bleed anything at all, I'd also take it as okay, I think. Not sure about skull chips.

No blue/green blood was skipped due to lack of time, as I remember from some source (maybe interview). So it was planned. Anyway, it’s easy to do with DECORATE in ZDoom and some mods (Zero Tolerance) and even source ports (Doom Retro) have it as a default.

Playing With Fire said:

Personally, I have no problem with the fact that Doom 2 was more or less a level pack for Doom 1. Sometimes you just want more of the same, without the developers completely changing the formula!

I have a problem with Doom 2 with that it makes me feel a bit sick, along with Plutonia/TNT as well. I really like Ultimate Doom and Master Levels, but the others make me feel ill.

I'm Ok with the game in concept though, more of the same type of Doom to expand on what came before...it's a shame they make me feel sickly.

I think having only one scrolling direction on walls and no scrolling on floors was a mistake. Even if it was only 4 directions for each, more scrolling options would likely have been used to great effect in DooM.

Just think about how effective scrolling was in Hexen for water, lava, and sludge. Now imagine the same effect used with nukage or water. I have no doubt John Romero would have been making waterfalls and passages with with flowing nukage if he had the option. (Sandy Peterson too)

Also think about rising smoke done with a transparent animated texture on a transparent linedef set for upward scrolling.

I also agree that it was a mistake to abandon the episode format in DooM II. It is one of the main reasons why I don't play DooM II very much. It is always satisfying to finish an episode in DooM. DooM II's long progression of levels just makes me weary, and often makes me quit, simply out of boredom. D2 may have more monsters, but it is just too much of a slog.

8 levels + a boss battle win = "Yippie! Hooray!"

30 levels in a row non-stop = "Gawd! When is this ever going to end?"

Playing With Fire said:

Personally, I have no problem with the fact that Doom 2 was more or less a level pack for Doom 1. Sometimes you just want more of the same, without the developers completely changing the formula!

I agree, Doom 2 is a game sequel done right in my book. The worst idea is to make a sequel that barely resembles the original, like the so-called Heretic 2.

For those of us who think like this: we consider Hexen to be the proper sequel to Heretic. After all the tagline was Hexen: Beyond Heretic. Hexen 2 follows up pretty nicely as long as the player is a healthy user of save-games and a healthy appetite for exploration :p

MetroidJunkie said:

Even Quake ran well on it, if only because they just used the Build SlaveDriver engine and added polygon objects to it.

Piper Maru said:

It ends when you fight a giant wall!

A giant wall with a hidden alcove inside!

That must be some bug, ‘cause for me it ended AFTER I fought the wall. Actually, I have to say it’s a nice concept on its own. It just shouldn’t have been replicated in every megawad, that all.

TheCupboard said:

For those of us who think like this: we consider Hexen to be the proper sequel to Heretic.

I don't, Heretic to Hexen changed a lot of the formula too, but at least they had the sense to change the name. Hexen to Hexen II felt more like things that belonged in the same series.

ETTiNGRiNDER said:

I don't, Heretic to Hexen changed a lot of the formula too, but at least they had the sense to change the name. Hexen to Hexen II felt more like things that belonged in the same series.

The original plan was for the third game to be named Hecatomb.

Gez said:

The original plan was for the third game to be named Hecatomb.

So I've heard, but weren't the plans for that also different to both the previous two games and what Heretic 2 turned out to be? I seem to recall something about classes like Hexen but with an additional good/evil alignment shift system on top of that.

BaronOfStuff said:

My mistake, my mind leaped to Build because it was also used to make the Saturn version of Duke 3D. My point is, if Carmack wasn't so adamant about using a software renderer, Saturn could have gotten a version of Doom that looks almost exactly like the Ps1 version and lag-free, just with some slightly warping textures.

Some people have mentioned the gloves/no gloves thing for the melee attack, but I think a worse offender is how incredibly wimpy looking the punch animation is. It looks like Kevin Cloud, er, I mean, Doomguy is kneading monsters with his knuckles more than punching them. It has no satisfying "whoosh" sound of his arm moving, and it just seems slow. Melee attacks don't translate as well as guns as 2D sprites, I think, but by way of example the Dark Forces punch feels a lot better.

scifista42 said:

How sick and ill?

Enough to want to stop playing, I just start to lose concentration with a queasy stomach.

It's like that feeling you get when you are very tired, like you've only been getting little sleep, or have been up for a very long time. When the tiredness gives you that sick feeling.

Well it feels sort of like that, only without the tiredness, just a general queasy feeling. I have played though Doom 2, and the Final Doom games, but I have to do it in bits. It has never made me actually sick, as I quit when I feel it.

It's odd, I can't recall any other game making me feel like this.

Well, my father always felt that way about Wolfenstein3D when he played it, and later he got this feeling even in Doom. Even I have experienced this feeling in Doom several times in my life, I think, but stopping playing until the next day always solved it for me.

Yeah I find coming off of it and coming back does work, but I don't know why I get it, but other games both within and outside of Doom I feel fine. I can only really stomach a couple levels at a time.

Xegethra said:

but I don't know why I get it

I think the unpleasant "sickness" might be caused by a combination of moving around an environment with low resolution graphics + with low framerate + the mere fact that you see the game on a flat screen (unlike real life view). Some people might be sensitive to this (at least sometimes), like some people might be sensitive to 3D glasses in 3D cinemas.

Yeah, I think the game might just trigger that sort of stuff in me. Perhaps they made it in such a way that can do that somehow, where as other games just fail to do it.

For me the games that came closest to inducing motion sickness were Portal and Portal 2. Some of the more challenging sections made me feel a little dizzy. I reckon that's because of all the crazy movements one has to pull off in high-detail environments.

I reckon if I played a modern game in which one moved as fast as one does in Doom I'd get a bit of a headrush, but modern FPS games have a distinct tendency to have the player move slower than in previous games.

Lack of convenient linedef actions which you think would have been obvious additions. No "S1/SR Lower to Nearest" in vanilla!

It's probable that Carmack and Romero just added line actions as they were needed & wanted in a case-by-case scenario, but you'd think that at some point at least one of them would have realised how lopsided the effects are. With so many "Raise to/by X" triggers available, it's baffling how the obvious option of adding a few equivalent triggers for lowering the floor were missed.

Doom should've had something like Dukes CON files or Hexens mapinfo. I'd love to make wads for vanilla doom 2 that use episodes.