Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
joe-ilya

License to Ilya (On IDgames)

I'm not trying to be negative here, but isn't this just giving him more spotlight instead of helping him fix his own levels or improve his work?

Yes. Joe, I would like you to remake your own levels so you can learn more and apply that knowledge in the future instead of others doing it for you.

I guess Linguica is right, I'm opting out on this.

AD, That's a nice map. I noticed that there are 50 monsters. Does this mean that this is going to me another map in your megawad you are working on?

I don't even know why I wanted to be a part of this either, since I'm not in a mapping mood myself. so I too will opt out.

AD_79, that's my favorite MK track.

Not gonna lie, I kind of like the idea of this project. Somehow joe-ilya with your serial Doomworld infamy you've managed to bring about a creative spark for something!

(maybe you'll also learn some stuff to make your maps better for the future joe, if this comes to fruition)

Breezeep said:

AD, That's a nice map. I noticed that there are 50 monsters. Does this mean that this is going to me another map in your megawad you are working on?

Heh, no, E1 of my mapset is already filled in, it's just a coincidence that there's 50 in this map :P

I liked this idea from when I first saw Scifista bring it up in the Lost Maps 2 thread. Sign me up. Not sure what map[s] I'll do, though. Thinking I might do Steak Streak from the DWMP 2013 as that was the first I played and I quite enjoyed it. Maybe I'll do some small ones too like Park!.

joe-ilya's maps are unique and cooler than most stuff made these days. It would be better to try and emulate his style than change it to something boring and commonplace.

So this is what it's come to.

Well, so much for the old boring method of learning to map.

Hey, at least something positive has come out of Joe's mapping. Right?

But yeah, I'd prefer it if Joe actually honed his mapping as opposed to other people doing it for him.

hex11 said:

It would be better to try and emulate his style than change it to something boring and commonplace.

I feel that there's already enough, actually too many maps in his early style. And the "boring and commonplace" argument has little relevance, because these terms are subjective and different people can interpret them in opposite ways, which actually seems to happen when talking about joe-ilya's maps.

Joe's aesthetics certainly leave a lot to be desired, but the gameplay of the levels is sometimes pretty good.

Similarly, his disregard for convention - while it often leads to "WTH was he thinking?" moments - also has occasional elements of interest. Map02 of Lost Maps 2, for instance, has two completely separate routes to the exit. The two routes share a start area, and the last two chambers of the level, but are otherwise entirely unique from each other. That's kind of neat.

I had a fuckin ghost trooper chasing me through that library level. Didn't have a rocket launcher, and was kicking all asses of revenants and barons, but this ghost trooper kept stalking me slowly, relentlessly, taking potshots with his pea shooter...

I may be attempting LM's MAP02 if it still does have that rad soundtrack you've included once.

Cell said:

I may be attempting LM's MAP02 if it still does have that rad soundtrack you've included once.

What do you means once? It was first "King of the hill theme" but after that I replaced it with a bad religion song.
Either way, you're on the list now!

EDIT:AD_79@ Cool map! Great visuals, the gameplay is somewhat kept almost the same. My favorite part is the room towards the exit room with all the rainbow lights.

Some tips though:
-Remove the medkit at the start, place it at the exit room instead, for continuity purposes.
-A grain of ammo.
-Instead of the imp at the exit room, put a stronger monster, or put 3 more imps.

EDIT2:For next submissions I'll post FDAs, sorry AD_79.

Linguica said:

This is ridiculous.

Jimmy said:

So this is what it's come to.

Well, so much for the old boring method of learning to map.

Haha. I even had a thought in my mind about tuning up the Lost Maps 2 megawad uploaded recently.

xnv said:

Why would you do this.

1994 Tune-up was Boom compatible. Some of joe-ilya's maps are Boom compatible. The format is limit-removing and allows increased detail and a handful of features and tricks not possible in vanilla, but doesn't go as overboard as ZDoom/UDMF. And it stays compatible with demos. So why not?

scifista42 said:

1994 Tune-up was Boom compatible. Some of joe-ilya's maps are Boom compatible. The format is limit-removing and allows increased detail and a handful of features and tricks not possible in vanilla, but doesn't go as overboard as ZDoom/UDMF. And it stays compatible with demos. So why not?

Yeah, Boom is nice, I actually used voodoo doll scripting for the first time in the map I uploaded yesterday.

@AD_79: Your map was great on its own, but too little reminiscent of the particular joe-ilya's map at all. Literally everything other than the order of rooms was original.

@Voltcom9: Well, your map still felt completely like a joe-ilya's map. I don't say this is a bad thing by itself, but: Texturing was often very imperfect, with numerous misalignments etc, and the slow lifts were just too slow. I thought both issues could have been improved. EDIT: Also, with some straferunning over the top of the "A" structure, it's possible to grab the green armor without even entering the secret and stepping on the pedestal.

joe-ilya said:

What do you means once? It was first "King of the hill theme" but after that I replaced it with a bad religion song.
Either way, you're on the list now!

Thanks, now which one is that "Bad Religion song"? Because it was the latter I heard and I find it immeasurably cool, even though I've already experienced disappointment listening to midi music's 'real' counterpart.

scifista42 said:

@AD_79: Your map was great on its own, but too little reminiscent of the particular joe-ilya's map at all. Literally everything other than the order of rooms was original.

That's the point of the project isn't it? I think you really missed the point there, the map was meant to show joe-ilya how he could have done the map better using the same layout from what I've seen.

Voltcom9 said:

A remake of 1024 ABC map01
The design has remained pretty much the exact same but
with a few details added here and there. Nothing too fancy.

Here's the link
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6euvnoqen645brg/JilyaLetterA.wad?dl=0

The map refuses to open in PRboom because:
"P_SetupLevel: Level wad structure is incomplete. There is no ML_SECTORS lump."

However, It's playable via Zdoom, so uh, sorry, no FDA for you either.

This starts off OK enough, but the chainsaw is a dumb idea, a shotgun would be better. There are tons of missalignments and unrelated texturing and flats, this project is supposed to be a tune-up not just making my maps more advanced.

You forgot to texture the lower line behind the armor.

This switch has no point, either retexture it, delete it, or give it tears like plutonia 2 maps do, I thought it was a broken switch at first sight.

How did you manage to put a flat onto a wall?

More stuff:
-Give more health.
-The armor should not be a secret as you made this map harder than the original map. Put it somewhere at the start.
-The lifts on both sides should move faster.
-Give the map a name, or is it gonna be kept "abstractor"?
-Fix missalignments and unrelated flats. Windows have the default flat on the floor, for example.

alterworldruler said:

That's the point of the project isn't it? I think you really missed the point there, the map was meant to show joe-ilya how he could have done the map better using the same layout from what I've seen.

Right, but the layout wasn't the same at all - just a really rough shape and order of the rooms, assembled from scratch.