Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
joe-ilya

License to Ilya (On IDgames)

I've started on Steak Streak and will post some screens in awhile. I've got a question. Sector 104 is a part of wall that raises when you cross linedef 226 (as does sector 88). I don't understand what utility this has. Is it just a visual thing? Please let me know.

Also, there is a large section of rooms in the top right of the map roughly in the shape of a smiley face. No items or monsters are located in these rooms. What's their purpose? Is it just to add a face when you load the automap? Here's a picture highlighting the rooms I'm referring to:

http://www.mediafire.com/convkey/0f81/qoagrz7jaqrxcbmzg.jpg

That map looks familiar from the overhead shot. IIRC, the smiley-face room is used for sky transfer tags.

Now i'm hyped to see joe-ilya's version of a essel map. God damn, it's going to be gorgeous!

Oh, it's moments like this that i wish that my doom builder suddenly starts working again. :'(

Tarnsman said:

Joe please, PLEASE remake BTSX E1M19 and E2M20 for us.

I dunno about E2M20, but I do want to see E1M19 Joe-ified, I really like that map.

Thanks Memfis and SteveD for clearing that up. Normally I use ZDoom so I'm not used to changing the sky texture that way.

I'd still like clarification about Sectors 104 and 88. Also, how do you get the soul sphere near the beginning of the level? I know if you cross the linedefs that border sector 18 that lowers the sector with the sphere on it, but I don't know how to pass those lines given how elevated sector 18 is. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Du Mhan Yhu said:

Play with Map01:

Boom format;
(Was absolutely not tested with Boom, I bet it works though.)

I could have super detailed it.. but I got bored and called it a map.

https://www.mediafire.com/?l628hr8f83tc1g8

The STEP1 flat on the first 64x64 lift is misaligned, and the floor in the exit room + the stairs in front of the exit room damage the player. Other than that, pretty good map, with detailing and gameplay typical for you. :)

I'm grounded for a week, can't playtest or map. But I can still update the OP.

@du mhan yhu give your map a name.

joe-ilya said:

I'm grounded for a week, can't playtest or map. But I can still update the OP.

@du mhan yhu give your map a name.

Map01: Grounded

This has to be the first ever community project i've seen where the leader publicly stated "i'm grounded" and can't play Doom or do anything else.

This is hilarious.

Du Mhan Yhu said:

Here's an update with fixes based on scifista42's feedback.

https://www.mediafire.com/?q0yes195g61oc2w

I was bored and I needed to bitch at something, so I ran through this on UV.

It plays and looks all right. I'm glad you're not using rectangular teleport closets, but it was quite uninteresting to play overall. the arachnotron behind the red door, I ran into the small cove to pick up a plasma gun, but he blocked my exit from the cove. not sure if that was intended. near the end, this happened after a switch press. overall I'm not intrigued but I can see other peeps liking this.

edit: I also never found a rocket launcher.

Getsu Fune said:

AD_79, in your map, I managed to open the red door without the need of the key.

*checks

OOPS

Updated.

I started tuning up map04 of lost maps, but i got bored and don't wish to continue.
here.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/56831507/Doom/Not%20Finished/jilya/jilya-lm04.wad

First, I scaled it up by 50%. Then, I took some of the switch locations and did some plastic surgery to tuck them into better places. I also poked around at a few other places. It's unfinished but I'm gonna post it here for whatever it's worth.

Hey there everyone! Can I take MAP06 of Lost Maps please? I don't think anyone else has taken it yet, and I'd love to see what I can do!

Surreily said:

Hey there everyone! Can I take MAP06 of Lost Maps please? I don't think anyone else has taken it yet, and I'd love to see what I can do!

Oh, you mean the "I HATE U" map? :P

AD_79 said:

Oh, you mean the "I HATE U" map? :P

Yep, that's the one! I've got an awesome idea for the first area, but I will not be including the text because this isn't the 90s anymore (unless joe-ilya forces me to) :D

hex11 said:

Uh no it's not awesome. It's just tons of unnecessary details. The original id levels are simple and clean and feel nice to play (ditto with early stuff like Memento Mori and Icarus). People don't really know how to map anymore, they just pile on details to make up for... something. But it ends up looking artificial and forced.

esselfortium said:

Really....?

I wouldn't go as far as "not knowing how to map" but I agree with hex11's general point. The extremes of modern mapping often strike me as overly perfectionist, to a point of near-sterility. Hyperdetailed architecture with thousands of filigree linedefs and a complete paint job of new textures create the impression of no longer playing Doom, but that I and the monsters have been transported to the world of some other game. Along with overanalysed choreographed encounters that force the player into a set pattern of movement. These places are nice to visit, but ultimately I prefer maps that in some sense still look like Doom.

Having said that, of course there are counterexamples (the *twid wads obviously still look like Doom). Furthermore I fully appreciate that there are many players who have exactly the opposite opinion, who crave the new style and want to push the engine as far as possible (in fact I expect level designers such as Ribbiks and dannebubinga will think I am getting at them, if they read this post - rest assured I am not thinking of anyone in particular). Indeed I am glad that the mapping community by and large caters to both and everything in between. I think hex11's fear expressed in other threads that vanilla wads will stop being made any time soon is unfounded; at least I hope it is.

hex11 said:

Uh no it's not awesome. It's just tons of unnecessary details. The original id levels are simple and clean and feel nice to play (ditto with early stuff like Memento Mori and Icarus). People don't really know how to map anymore, they just pile on details to make up for... something. But it ends up looking artificial and forced.

Don't lump us all in with that! Most of the stuff I make is totally vanilla compat - there's still lots of people out there who map in a more old fashioned way.

Personally, I'm glad there are a lot of players out there who enjoy the same game in such different ways. Variety is the spice of life, as they say :) It's nice knowing that a week from now, a year from now, I can browse the recent uploads on /idgames and find some full-on detailed stuff, and some straight-outta-'96 stuff.

Personally, I like a little detail in my maps, even if it isn't really necessary. Fading lights made up of multiple sectors, fancy computer panels, anything that makes the map look more interesting. As long as I don't get caught up on random crap whilst running away from an army of revenants, I welcome the additional details that make a map truly unique.