Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
pablogener

share a file forever

does anybody know of an online service for filesharing, where links wouldn't die after a period of time?
thanks for the info.

Up to now, not one Dropbox link died on me, so i would say dropbox.

but a true permanent file storage host is dreaming out loud. They could always die.

Technician said:
Chisel the entire bitstream onto the face of a bounder.

Jesus, you've outdid yourself this time, auto-correct. I'm in hysterics.

Lmao I had to Google wtf bounder means. Your suggestion seems super-badass now!

Mediafire doesn't fuck up, and I've been using it since 2012. You gotta register though, but it's for good because replacing files becomes a breeze.

AFAIK only a couple of my MediaFire links have broken over the last 7 years. Their current data retention policy for free accounts is to retain files indefinitely so long as the account is accessed at least once every 12 months.

Technician said:

Hey, unlike the intended version this one might fly even with the Taliban.

Technician said:

hehehe, i had to google the meaning for what your auto-correct did and i like it.

dear doomworld, how can i escape the relentless, unceasing onslaught of entropy? i just want to share this thing i have made and not have it disappear, lost to the sands of time as all things must inevitably be

dew said:

Hey, unlike the intended version this one might fly even with the Taliban.

This may explain the burka - their code isn't open source.

Use a powerful laser to engrave it, as QR code, onto the surface of the Moon.

fraggle said:

dear doomworld, how can i escape the relentless, unceasing onslaught of entropy? i just want to share this thing i have made and not have it disappear, lost to the sands of time as all things must inevitably be

fuck everything, this is fucking beautiful

Similar to the power of entropy, no one has control over the locking of threads except the blind randomness of the void. And also the admins. they also don't take kind to any form of backseat moderation, involving comments such as your own.

You can lock your own threads: Scroll down to Admin Options (bottom right corner in the thread), select "Open/Close Thread" and Go.

fraggle said:

I don't want this to happen to doom.

I still don't know what entropy is (in thermodynamics).

I use Mediafire, and has work like a gem. But what you are asking is impossible pal. You will always have to do your own backup and have to re-upload it.

vtm said:

I still don't know what entropy is (in thermodynamics).

I use Mediafire, and has work like a gem. But what you are asking is impossible pal. You will always have to do your own backup and have to re-upload it.

about enthropy. bare in mind english is not my natural language. when the big bang happened (bare in mind the big bang did happen...), the universe, that was comprised all contracted in a single point, the size of a big grapefruit (all the universe!), started to expand. going from complete order (grapefruit) to complete chaos (universe in expansion). how much energy do you have to spend to put in order something you find in chaos?
take for instance your own room. it seems as it would move along with the universe in a constant expansive move into chaos of everything it holds within. how much energy does it take you to put everything inside your room in order? a lot more than it takes to nature itself to keep everything falling into chaos again in your room.
another example of enthropy, push a glass of a tabletop and see it blasted into a million pieces. didn't take much energy. but how much energy do you have to spend to stick all the pieces back together? and even still it wouldn't ever be the "same" glass again.
enthropy is what keeps taht initial "energy blast" bang expanding the universe on and on, and anything you want to do against it, it should take a lot more energy than it is already spending to go the way it's going.
I hope two things now: 1) getting enthropy right. 2) giving you good enough examples.

cheers!

You'd have to make your own server with its own infinity drive to never run out of power, then upload your file and send it into deep solar orbit, preferably beyond the oort cloud to ensure that it never wears down.

The old fashioned way would be to run your own HTTP/FTP server in your mother's basement/other privileged computing place where you can leave your boxes up and running or you have some webspace for yourself (e.g. university or work homepage) and provide a permalink, but in practice that can be less reliable than using modern file hosts (whose job is to keep servers up and running, after all, while you have RL concerns to tend to).

People move out of parent's houses...people move...hard disks crash...jobs or positions are lost...webspace privileges can be revoked and accounts closed, so there's really no single, eternal "safe haven".

The only thing that seems to work, on the long run, is multi-posting and distributing a file through channels such as FTP sites, relevant websites and repositories, etc. in other words, take advantage of the "difficulty to be forgotten". Of course, this could also backfire, and it also means that you often don't have the power to completely take something down by yourself, should the need arise.

I know people here generally aren't fond of the idea of crypto, but even if you aren't convinced by the money side of it, it does have other applications, such as file storage. Have a look at Storj or MaidSafe. There are probably others too.

JudgeDeadd said:

archive.org

That's a quite underestimated source -more than once I have retrieved a hard-to-find file (usually a .zip with some driver) from an archive.org capture, which ended up being the sole public copy in existence.