Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lost Soul

DeepSea Texture problems

I'm trying to make a texture that will apply to the floor/ceiling and having little or no luck with it. I am converting and saving them successfully, can use them as wall textures, but not as floor/cieling. I have them saved at 64x64. Is it the wrong res? Is there something I'm missing? How can I make these textures work?

press f7, select "merge-import multiple files into a pwad combines pwads"

select your target wad

select open lump.

select your bmp that you want to convert to flat.

in the import options, click on the circle next to "flats"

now import it.

when you check your bmp in your wad, it should say the name and with the label "flt" next to it.

oh yeah, be sure you have ff_start before the flat texture and ff_end after it.

I still don;t see it. I got it imported, and now it has the FLT extension, I assume that's because it's a flat now, and that should mean I can use it, right? I still don;'t seem to be able to selece it and use it in my levels

What he means is that you need to add a lump called FF_START in front of the first flat and FF_END after the last flat.

There are several ways to do this - but since you already used F7/Import, let's use that tool.

1. Select the Target PWAD as the level with the flats.

2. Go over to the right list of names (those are the ones in your PWAD) and go down and click on the first flat.

3. Press "Insert Target" and make this name FF_START before

4. Go to the last flat in the list and click on it.

5. Press "Insert Target" and make this name FF_END after.

6. Press Save All Files and you are done.

If you add any more flats, just click on any point between those two names and then add more flats.

Okee, I got that working just fine, and got more textures since. but now later on I am getting this message a LOT. and it is causeing me to not be able to import any more textures because of it.

"DIB error reading file"

WTF is it and how do I fix it???

Lost Soul said:

Okee, I got that working just fine, and got more textures since. but now later on I am getting this message a LOT. and it is causeing me to not be able to import any more textures because of it.

"DIB error reading file"

WTF is it and how do I fix it???

Assuming you are using DeePsea 11.6 and these are BMPs:

File has an invalid format. Either the size is wrong, the offset to the RGB data is wrong or something similar.

Please send me one of the images deep@sbsoftware.com so I can see.

Also, with this particular texture, I noticed a VERY large loss in colour when I imported it. Even after I convert to 256 colour. I'll send you some.

Lost Soul said:

Also, with this particular texture, I noticed a VERY large loss in colour when I imported it. Even after I convert to 256 colour. I'll send you some.

The file has an invalid bitmap size (an entry in the header). I'll add some code to assume the right size which in this case will work. I'll have to assume the dimensions are ok for that to work:)

This is what PSP does. So if you use PSP, read it in and save it again, and presto it's fixed. (Perhaps some other will fix it too).

You'll see that the file size shrinks by 14 bytes. The header size is way off though. It's supposed to say 6720 and it has 7784.

The mistake the original program made is that is took the 1st header size of 14 and added it to the total of ALL the control elements - which is incorrect.

Here's the math:
BITMAPFILEHEADER = 14
BITMAPINFOHEADER = 40 (can technically vary)
DATA = 6720 (a 55x120 image - 56x120 word aligned)
RGBdata = 1024 (8 bit palette stuff)
Total = 7798 (which is what PSP makes it)

I'm curious - What program made that graphic? The others have the size set to 0, which is legit. DeePsea automatically calculates the right size if it's 0. So the code is already in there, just not used when a size is present.

The reason the color loss occurs is because the DOOM palette was not used when they were created. So if you are making textures from scratch, always use the DOOM palette if you don't want surprises.

I used Adobe Photoshop to make the textures, and IrfanVeiw32 to resize, and convert the colours to 256.

Is there any way to transfer the Doom pallete to photoshop? And I kinda screwed up the origonal game pallete. Is there any way to fix it? I've tried to reset it and nothing happens.

Looks like IrfanVeiw32 is probably the bad boy here.

On the palette: You mean you wrecked the DOOM IWAD palette? Let me know and I'll send you a replacement PLAYPAL you can stick back in there. Or explain what you meant.

I tend to use PSP, mainly because Photoshop takes lightyears to load:) New version is even slower to load. Makes me think it's stuck 1/2 the time.

IIRC Photoshop can do the palette match. For sure it can do the resize and the color depth changes. So just stick with it and not use the Irf thing for now. Look in the Photo help or somebody here can explain. Lots of people use Photoshop.

Nono, I didn't make the pallete unusable by any means, I just changed the colour values of a lot of green shades, and now I want to restore them to the origonal colours.
how do I do that?

Lost Soul said:

I want to restore them to the origonal colours.how do I do that?

Just export ANY graphic patch from the IWAD. Press F7/Export pick something that's a picture, press BMP and there it is - in that BMP. Photoshop, PSP, etc will use the palette in there.