Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sigvatr

Things about Doom you just found out

Piper Maru said:

<picture>

No, this is how the Doomguy holds his gun.

Like a lot of sprites based FPS games, there's a lot of discordance between sprites that show the same object. I could just mention the player sprites in the picture you've just posted that shows a weapon that can't even be used by the player in the game.

I always found it funny how literally the only change between gun animation and punch animation is the gun doesn't muzzle flash. As if he's, in actuality, bunting demons with his rifle.

I hate that picture. Probably just because I'm an angry nerd but the handgun being centered on the screen makes perfect sense to me. You can see his wrist tilted towards his left shoulder in the sprite, I don't know why you wouldn't hold the gun in front of you to aim down the sights.

The other guns are a bit harder to justify. I assume the chaingun is being held like scarface style "say hello to my little friend" scene. Can't explain the rocketlauncer, but the shotguns are more likely than not held the way axdoom showed, even though realistically it would cover half the screen, but that wouldn't be very fun.

MetroidJunkie said:

I always found it funny how literally the only change between gun animation and punch animation is the gun doesn't muzzle flash. As if he's, in actuality, bunting demons with his rifle.

I've lost context, so I was totally stumped by your post. I was going to ask what do you mean, I thought that maybe you were using some weapon mod that makes the fist weapon look exactly like the pistol weapon (from 1st person perspective). Then I realized that you were talking about Doomguy's body sprite (the one posted by Piper Maru, reposted below). I don't play enough multiplayer, as it seems, so that I don't get to see Doomguy's body too often, and "animation" means his weapon HUD to me.

The doomguy sprites have him repositioning his gun due to pain, but nothing happens to the weapon in the first person view.

The sprites show him wearing a helmet, but the HUD doesn't! Oh noes!

Gez said:

Or the HUD might show his head as it looks inside the helmet.

Gez said:

LOL, MULTIPLE people complained about this with the selfie thing.

MetroidJunkie said:

In one of the pre-releases the melee attack was poking with a forked bayonet at the end of a rifle so that the sprite player sprite actually made more sense. But they swapped the rifle for a postal and the bayonet for brass knuckles.

Gez said:

Expanding on scifista42's point, this leads to the assumption that the HUD comes from a camera inside the helmet.

mdmenzel said:

Expanding on scifista42's point, this leads to the assumption that the HUD comes from a camera inside the helmet.

There doesn't even have to be a camera. Realistically, Doomguy wouldn't make any use of a face-cam in his helmet, anyway. I'm comfortable to imagine that it's nothing more than a meta-logical projection of Doomguy's feelings through showing his face to our eyes, as a game mechanic to communicate stuff to the player in a cool way. :)

I just found out that if you start a level with the object 'dead lost soul' in your immediate view you will see the last frame of the lost soul's death animation briefly before the object disappears.

purist said:

I just found out that if you start a level with the object 'dead lost soul' in your immediate view you will see the last frame of the lost soul's death animation briefly before the object disappears.

SLIGE-generated maps make this happen (judging from the one auto-generated megawad I've seen).

purist said:

I think the original lost soul left some kind of a corpse (the one from the beta that stares at you to attack, its visage remains in the final game inside the invulnerability sphere).*

scifista42 said:

SLIGE-generated maps make this happen (judging from the one auto-generated megawad I've seen).

This was to prevent use of slige with the shareware IWADs as I recall.

________
* On further research it seems I am simply regurgitating an incomplete version of the wiki. http://doomwiki.org/wiki/Lost_soul#Pre-release_version informs me it was a "psychic attack" and the corpse was a floating pile of bones.

scifista42 said:

There doesn't even have to be a camera. Realistically, Doomguy wouldn't make any use of a face-cam in his helmet, anyway. I'm comfortable to imagine that it's nothing more than a meta-logical projection of Doomguy's feelings through showing his face to our eyes, as a game mechanic to communicate stuff to the player in a cool way. :)

Yeah, it's one of those things done for the player's benefit rather than to be realistic. I doubt the suit is advanced enough to tell the marine how much health he has left, unless it's measuring his vitals or something.

TNT Map05:

After taking the teleporter beyond the Yellow Door, turn around and examine the wall in front of you. You'll find a room with a Rocket Launcher.

Also, after going into the Blue Key room, go into that rectangular area that was lowered just below the room. Hitting the switch in there will reveal a hidden Computer Area Map at the bottom of the spiral staircase around the corner. It's temporary, so you need to hit the switch again if you miss it.

PLUTONIA.WAD MAP06 Baron's Lair doesn't actually have any barons of hell in it. I don't know why I've never noticed that.

Krazov said:

I always thought that Cyberdemon at the end serves as a kind of titular Baron.

Apparently, the Cyberdemon hates Barons, if their pelts on the Tower of Babel are any indication. XD

It’s not hate on his side, it’s a tribute on theirs. It’s something that is owed to him. Or maybe, perhaps, they misbehaved.

MetroidJunkie said:

Yeah, it's one of those things done for the player's benefit rather than to be realistic. I doubt the suit is advanced enough to tell the marine how much health he has left, unless it's measuring his vitals or something.

This is supposed to be more than a century in the future, if Doom 3 is considered canon. There's no way we wouldn't have that sort of tech by then. I'm not sure if it would be as simple as "You're 88% not dead," but I could see a future where either visors or wetware utilize a HUD that gives you a general idea of your physical state.

^And makes you see your own face and items you wield, right below the visor of your helmet's inside, without it being disturbing for your eyes to look at the stats at the same time as at your surroundings? I would doubt it, but I'm suddenly not sure. This is one of your future-related theories that sounds convincing in principle, even if vaguely.

Krazov said:

It’s not hate on his side, it’s a tribute on theirs. It’s something that is owed to him. Or maybe, perhaps, they misbehaved.

I heard John Romero say somewhere in an interview (I think it was in that co-op playthrough with IGN) that they toyed with the idea of having the Doom monsters just hate each other and that's why you can get them to infight so easily.

GoatLord said:

This is supposed to be more than a century in the future, if Doom 3 is considered canon. There's no way we wouldn't have that sort of tech by then. I'm not sure if it would be as simple as "You're 88% not dead," but I could see a future where either visors or wetware utilize a HUD that gives you a general idea of your physical state.

Unless silent, symptomless diseases were involved via biological warfare, I'd think our nervous systems are a powerful enough and free source of information that tells us if we are or are not at risk of dying.

GoatLord said:

That's what I meant, there isn't going to be a percentage informing you what your body's health level is considering your body doesn't just have one uniform standard of health. You die if any vital function is disrupted, so it's impossible to measure with just a percentage. In Metroid, it makes sense because it measures her energy shielding and, if it runs out, her suit disintegrates and she's most certainly doomed by that point but it isn't going to be that way in Doom since he's noticeably getting bloodier.