Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
glenzinho

Showstoppers

Maes said:

Maybe it's just me, but compared to Doom 1, most of Doom 2's maps are chaotic and ugly -or at least unappealing. Definitively not for casual play or to be faced with a "let's just go in and kick some butt" attitude.

Every time I play doom 2, I'm usually amazed at how the dev's made the maps work while the automap looks like some drawing a kid would do of a doom map.

I don't know man, I'm new, but Doom 2's level design is amazing to me.

To the thread, Circle of Death is usually when I get like, "okay, that's enough." But if I beat it, then it's a clear road until "Gotcha!"

I've never really hit a wall in Ultimate Doom...maybe Perfect Hatred.
But in all fairness it probably comes from issues I had with this level as a kid.

joe-ilya said:

MAP02 from TNT, too tedious.

MAP02 is great though, not sure why you would have an issue with it.

AD_79 said:

MAP02 is great though, not sure why you would have an issue with it.

AD_79 said:

It's called an opinion.

Usually around the time I get to map09 in Doom 2 is where I call it quits on a given random playthrough. Not sure why. I guess that's when the levels start taking too long for me.

For The Ultimate Doom, it's E1M9 since I never skip secret levels. The design is very regular, there is no climax in the playthrough, no introduction of an interesting object unlike the first three maps, and the encounters are very predictable. Then it's followed by E1M4, another lackluster map. I'm not warm to E1M6 either, though it fares better than the other two.

For Doom II, it gets jaded about as early as map 3 since it is the first map without good texture variation, but it's usually at map 5 where I begin to think of playing another level set or how long it'll take me to finish the game already.

A Metroid-esque icebeam weapon mod which acts similar to Hexen's mages freeze move would be quite a good weapon mod.

Doom II's MAP10 is the showstopper for me. I just get bored with it. I have no problems with the previous 9, but this one just feels so flat and bland. I know that it's based on some old map included in the beta versions of Doom or something, but it just feels like a bunch of rooms connected to other rooms.

rdwpa said:

Would be interested in reading detailed explanations of why map05 is a showstopper.

People say it's the boring, brown, gray, textures used all over the map.
I like it myself.

I Doom I would just select the episode and want to play and 8 maps Isnt too long to play through casually. If I tried to play right through it would probably be E2M4 as this is the first level I really dislike. In Doom II I usually stop on MAP09 as this is where the game really tries to kill you so I can no longer sleep walk through without getting killed.

rdwpa said:

Would be interested in reading detailed explanations of why map05 is a showstopper.

Probably due to the very dark tunnels with drab colours everywhere and blocky maze-like structure with numerous dead ends (even though the mazes are relatively small). I think that I used to feel terrified by that map, but nowadays I can bear it and I find it OK.