Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Egregor

ROP 2015: Finished!

Thanks for the compliments, heh -- feel like I overdid it a bit, to be frank. I'm aiming to make the next submission (Reliquary) a bit more Classic Heretic E1-ish, a la Guard Tower.

At any rate, I got an odd burst of motivation, and I managed to finish+detail the last remaining bits. Here's the finished layout:

Yep, it looks like a butt.

Proper thing placement's next, I suppose. Welp.

My guesses for inspiration: Ribbiks and Eternal's Frozen Time, and maybe Dues Vult based on the gigantic size of that map!

Guessing that Xaser is a huge wow nerd and based his map off the dwarven city of Ironforge.

xaser: let me guess, the iron keep from dark souls 2... Anywayyy, i'll provide feedback on the latest maps soon(tm).

i played E1M7 anachronistic metropolis from Hymn, and i loved it, specially the visuals. Definitely one of the best heretic maps. And i have high expectations with your new map Xaser ;)

Finally remembered that i had to test some maps.

Du Mhan Yhu: played on UV, the map is fine, the only complain here is that i got way too much ammo after the yellow key, so i wasn't really compelled to use any artifact you gave me (except hp and ,at the end, the chaos teleporter), maybe a little tiny bit less ammo would not hurt the map overall. Also too many runes, i don't know if i was lucky with the saberclaws's drops but i really got too many runes, it was ridiculus.
I liked the knights specters usage and the overall tension that never really fade too much, traps were good also, but maybe a little forgiving.
Now let me share my first impressions: the first time i loaded it i tought it was a tysoon map, since you gave me a gauntlet right off the start, and i punced my way in until the first key, when i was swarmed by gargoyles+disciples. After a couple of deaths i realized that there was a crossbow at the start, but my tyson fury didn't let me see it, then i got frustrated at the yellow key door and called it a day.
When i picked up this map again i enjoyied it a lot more and managed to finish it without dying once, wich surprised me a little bit.

TL;DR; less runes and less ammo in general, changing some golems to golems specters could be cool, didn't felt the need to use artifacts as much as i would have liked.

Forgive eventual typos here and there, is pretty late around here.

Now onto Nigthstone hollow!

@Cacowad; Thanks for the feedback, Runes, golems and artifacts, they seem to be the issue, I'll have a update by the end of this weekend.

Eh, take my words with a grain of salt, since i'm not too much renowned for my gameplay\balance sense :P

EDIT: i forgot to say that the only monster i didn't killed was the maulotaurus and that i never used the firemace once, so take that into account.

Cacowad said:

Eh, take my words with a grain of salt, since i'm not too much renowned for my gameplay\balance sense :P

Nah, your feedback is on par with feedback I've gotten since the release.

Cacowad said:

EDIT: i forgot to say that the only monster i didn't killed was the maulotaurus and that i never used the firemace once, so take that into account.

I'll leave the firemace for continuity and add 7 more Maulotaurs.

Kidding :p

Nightstone Hollow v2, copy pasting EffinghamHuffnagel:

A really interesting, well-designed map.

I really liked it, unfortunatly i can't give meaningfull criticism like the quoted person above, since most of the issues seems to be resolved already; except for the switch hunt after the last lich, i really didn't managed to resolve it without looking at the editor, to put in quotes:

This switch hunt to end all switch hunts was frustrating.

and boy it was, just because you have so little time to figure out where the second switch is and it is really well hidden.

p.s: i'll probably steal the pod trap someday, that thing is just too cool.

I'll be honest, I don't really like the last switch bit either: it's a bit inelegant and fiddly for my liking. If this ends up as E1M8 or E4M8 I can do away with it completely, but otherwise I need some way to get the Chaos Device that doesn't easily allow the player to run straight past the last Iron Lich. I'm open for suggestions. :)

Bumping this to say I finally got a lead on a map. It will be slow-going but I finally have a foothold. That's always been the hardest part for me. The rest flows as it should.
edit: It's feeling like a gray/black/void feeling. desolate terrain but evil imposes order in magnificent brooding structures. something like that.

just letting everyone know: i had a computer crash but im back now! its going to take me a minute to get back to full speed, but this is not the first time i have had this happen so i keep backups of my work on a flash drive. i shouldn't be set too far back. my level is a good 75% complete so even 'as is' it will be included in the may alpha compilation. otherwise everything going on with this project is showing a lot of potential! we could still use more mapping contributions though!

Okay, here is the alpha version of my map from my backup files. I've been really busy in rocket launcher but I'm back and I figure that putting a fresh map into this thread might be a morale booster, so here it is!

Egregor's ROP v.1
http://www.mediafire.com/download/na9l5pvib0iu0k5/EG_ROP01.wad

This map is finish-able, but textures and lighting vary in detail work along the way. The further along into the map you play the weaker the game play balance work gets as well. Still with that said it about 80% complete and work posting. Feedback always appreciated! Thanks!

Egregor: So far I really like your map, I'm taking notes as I play it. It feels open and exploration seems encouraged. Right now I suggest using more transition border textures like any kind of dark gray metal texture or wooden support beams to make it seem like less of a transition from the gray water area to the brown stone tomb. Also the dragon claw tomb should have some more light variation I think, and maybe cobwebs. :p

Once I found the 2nd dragon claw, for me it was the one at the wizard trap, I burned through all silver shields and went back to get an enchanted shield.

Then I get stuck in the lava/rock area just below all the green pillars, I've killed 100 monsters and I have no keys.. It seems like I am supposed to backtrack because some weredragons appear across the way from the phoenix rod.. But the map isn't really pointing me where to go after that.

I hope there are wings of wrath in a secret area or they become necessary later on. This map would be a great candidate for it. So far ammo balance seems pretty spot on.

edit: also I played on ultra-violence. I really really liked how you can see chunks of the map before you can ever really get to them, like that blue key teaser right at the beginning. If I was you I would consider removing at least one texture color from the map. Right now you have brown, gray, green, blue, and red. Maybe just recolor the blue OR green areas to better match the rest of the level so it feels more cohesive. That's kind of a nitpick though, considering Heretic is a bright and vibrantly colored game to begin with.

Gez said:

It's interesting, but it reminded me more of Hexen than of Heretic.

really? IIRC Hexen's soundtrack is more calm and ambient than Heretic's loud, engaging songs, especially in the percussion department. i guess the length of the song is more akin to Hexen, though, since Heretic's OST is shorter and snappier.

at any rate, i posted the MP3 here to see if anyone was interested in it. i don't feel much like going back and fixing the MIDI file unless i knew it'd at least be considered into the project.

I like the track, it's like a Here-Hexen-mixture, but I think it's actually good, and it's more on the Heretic side anyway.

I think both versions sound good, so thanks for your all-in-all effort! I'm sure someone will have a use for it..!

Well I am 75% of the way done with my first map for this project. I need to add some small details and bonus areas for this map. It ended up being a gray cave with gray and brown ruins. I think it will have 120 monsters or less. I might throw up a screenshot when I'm happier with the visuals. The map has a lot of empty cave space which needs to be filled up still. But the main idea has been accomplished..

Might have to get started with another map before I finish this cavey business.

Is it just me or version 4 of the texture pack showing a bunch of blank images for the texture list in DB2 but they appear fine in game? Please do not remove any textures for any more updates! I'm rather attached to everything that existed in version 2. :P

Here's a gleaming Gutter Penny for your listening pleasure! Reasonably pleased with this one, although I've been working on it long enough that some parts may sound stranger than my brain is willing to let on; hopefully not too much. Enjoy!

it's up to the project manager if mine gets in or not. i don't know if i'd have to specifically ask for permission to post my stuff here as opposed to my "here i made a thing" approach.

Doomhuntress said:

it's up to the project manager if mine gets in or not. i don't know if i'd have to specifically ask for permission to post my stuff here as opposed to my "here i made a thing" approach.

No permission is needed, your post seems fine. The song itself is great! It's already included in the OP with the other custom music. We will use the custom music first before seeking out other music. Thanks for the contribution. At this point the new music is nearly outshining the new maps themselves, which I can't say is a bad thing!

It's fine stuff, to my ear! I'm not always the biggest fan of your work, Doomhuntress, but this one has strength of identity and sounds very "tempered;" it's well-paced and doesn't get bogged down by overly complex arrangements or layering, which is sometimes what I feel of my own work after I've worked at it for too long. Decidedly Heretic. Works well on repeat, too.

Will we be hearing more?