Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
nitr8

[RELEASE] Wii-DOOM / Wii-HERETIC / Wii-HEXEN / Wii-STRIFE (ALL-IN-ONE) *PROPER*

Considering we just got a second Wii along with a yardsale of cheapo games for my sister recently I am going to have to thank you for making a doom/2/hexin/hereti/strife engine that /WORKS/. Granted right now I don't have a USB drive since I'm holding out on a terabyte drive (for ripping all my sister's games to so she won't destroy them along with the kid we babysit.)

I appreciate this. Greatly. Thank you for your continued work.

* Download Link & Info updated (R28) *

Changes for DOOM:

- added "No Rest For The Living" support
- changes to error / failure logging & output
- refreshing / redrawing enhancement to the screen border
- fixed a bug that would cause the port to crash if enabling the display ticker when not running a game
- fixed a bug for Freedoom Phase 2 where selecting a map to warp to didn't display the destination map
- fixed a bug for Freedoom Phase 2 where the weapons cheat menu didn't display the Super Shotgun entry

Changes for HERETIC:

- enhancement to the screen size option when starting the game with the lowest possible screen size
- enhancement to the "BETA" flashing message when using the beta version of HERETIC1.wad with this port

Changes for HEXEN:

- enhancement to the "BETA" flashing message when using the beta versions of HEXEN.wad with this port
- fixed a bug that caused a wrong placement of the control menu's freelook speed slider
- fixed a bug that caused the intermission screen to be drawn incorrectly
- fixed a bug that caused the status bar not being drawn correctly when entering / exiting the automap
- fixed a bug that caused the player to get stuck inside the floor when teleporting between maps
- restored Chocolate HEXEN's stock savegame code

Changes for STRIFE:

!!! PLEASE UPDATE STRIFE, REPLACING THE FILE PSPSTRIFE.WAD AS WELL !!!

- changes to the cheat menu: display cheat names for the teaser demo or the retail game and vice versa
- changes to the cheat menu: display only cheats available in the teaser demo
- changes to the music cheat: don't play the teaser demo music in the retail game mode and vice versa
- changes to the music cheat: don't allow doubled selection of music tracks
- changed (increased) RAM usage due to Z_Malloc errors
- restored original sounds & music and code of the STRIFE teaser demo when running the demo campaign
- restored original help screens 2 & 3 of the STRIFE teaser demo when running the demo campaign
- restored original intro & demo slideshows of the STRIFE teaser demo when running the demo campaign
- finished the code for the missing STRIFE teaser demo slideshow ending when running the demo campaign
- fixed a bug that caused the loading indicator to not being drawn
- added support for teleporting to map35 (which was part of the STRIFE teaser demo - it's a dev-map)
- added campaign gameplay feature (demo / retail version) from the STEAM "STRIFE: VETERAN EDITION"
- added missing "cast" feature that's part of the STEAM "STRIFE: VETERAN EDITION" and which was part of
the STRIFE teaser demo (though, i don't know if it's the same that ROGUE had included in the teaser)

Holy crap man. Thank You! Great way to start the new year.

Edit: Two things. Any chance at bundling in the lighting from Strife VE's source so if you have light maps baked in those work (and being able to use VE's assets,) and is there any chance at supporting Harmony?

Strife VE's lightmaps cannot be ported to the software renderer (at least, without excessive amounts of effort); so that'd require porting the entire OpenGL renderer...

As for Harmony, the main issue would be supporting the scaling property. Once you get that, the rest should be trivial, since it's (weirdly enough) coded in DEHACKED instead of DECORATE. So it can be played like Hacx, but you do need to be able to scale the sprites or they will all be absurdly huge in the game. There aren't any real technical obstacle since after all sprites are already scaled by the engine (depending on distance), so it's just a question of plugging in another variable in the equation.

On the other hand, Harmony might require limit-removing as well, since from what I remember the maps tend to be more detailed than the typical vanilla-compatible map.

Strife VE uses OpenGL.

The Wii DOESN'T support GL. It uses it's own fork: GX - and that's what i'm definitely not familiar with. So you won't ever see one of those four ports supporting OpenGL or rendered in GX. Sorry...

Btw. (as Gez said): it would take lots of effort to get that done - even including the Strife VE lightmapping feature.

Is there any way to simply not use the go bits so we get the additions (damage direction, the new multiplayer CTF thing, and the intro text blurb/new intro screens) but not have colored lights and all? I'm doubting it, but *shrug*.

Look I don't want you to think I'm knocking you, but VR is the new commercial version, and I'm pretty sure it will be what people map for.

Still, support for VE or no, this is an awesome thing you are doing and I appreciate that.

This is never going to happen as i'm working on those four projects for myself and i'm most likely done with with.

Also for multiplayer: this is never going to happen as no one EVER ported the SDL_net library to the Nintendo Wii and that's what i would need in order to get all multiplayer working for all four ports. I'd like to make a request for that. The important thing is the UDP support which is required by the Chocolate source.

I just spent the whole day trying to get multiplayer to work. But it simply won't work with the libraries i allready got and tried. It's a shame... :-(

I just found another bug in the music engine:

Using an USB stick might cause all four ports to be unable to play the included music. Replacing the USB stick with a real hard drive makes music work. Must have something to do with the access / read / write speeds of the sticks. Will check that later.

Just tried the Doom port out for myself on my Wii, works great! Though I kind of liked the Wiimote + numchuck control setup like that other Wii port had, the classic controller does good too.

Couple issues I noticed though:
The sound channels seem to be reversed for me, for example I'll hear a monster sound coming from the right speaker when it should be coming from the left.
Also the display looks a little windowboxed with small black borders all around. Is it possible you can make it so that it fills the entire screen?

Anyhow, nice job with the port and keep up the good work!

Triple_sSs said:

Just tried the Doom port out for myself on my Wii, works great! Though I kind of liked the Wiimote + numchuck control setup like that other Wii port had, the classic controller does good too.

Couple issues I noticed though:
The sound channels seem to be reversed for me, for example I'll hear a monster sound coming from the right speaker when it should be coming from the left.

Strange... I'll take a look at it but I didn't change anything there while porting these games.

Also the display looks a little windowboxed with small black borders all around. Is it possible you can make it so that it fills the entire screen?

That's a Chocolate / SDL limitation I cannot get rid of by just changing a few flags. I would have to change the whole function that does the graphics init and that's lots of work as I had the same issue on my Chocolate PSP ports and only there made the change to fill out the complete (little) screen. Another solution would be the use of OpenGL which the Wii actually doesn't support. Instead, it has it's own fork "GX" as said before. I have the required libs for that but doubt that Chocolate would run on it as I almost had problems compiling Chocolate's OpenGL code with the GX libraries. So at this point only software rendering will be the only solution to that.

Anyhow, nice job with the port and keep up the good work! [/B]

Great to see a new Wii Doom port. :)

Just a quick question. Can I use any old USB stick and simply create a folder called 'apps' for this? I have my Wii modded but I've only ever used the SD slot for homebrew...

* Download Link & Info updated (R30) *

Changes for DOOM:

- speed up when choosing PWAD's in the wad selector menu
- disallow addition of previous selected PWAD's
- reset flags for PWAD's when pressing the "X"-button on the WAD selector menu
- added ingame console
- added OGG-music support
- fixed menu button for going back

Changes for HERETIC:

- added ingame console

Changes for HEXEN:

- added ingame console

Changes for STRIFE:

- added support for teleporting to MAP36 (which was part of the STRIFE Teaser DEMO - it's a DEV-MAP)
- added ingame console
- added more changes to the DEMO campaign

nitr8 said:

Strife VE uses OpenGL.

The Wii DOESN'T support GL. It uses it's own fork: GX - and that's what i'm definitely not familiar with. So you won't ever see one of those four ports supporting OpenGL or rendered in GX. Sorry...

Btw. (as Gez said): it would take lots of effort to get that done - even including the Strife VE lightmapping feature.

Think something like ZDoom would work on the Wii? Apparently, it has very lenient system requirements, the Wii might able to pull it off. It can run eDuke32, anyway.

ZDOOM also uses OpenGL. You would have to completely rewrite the graphics part of the game as the Wii and Wii U both use GX. There's no such thing like OpenGL on the Wii.

nitr8 said:

ZDOOM also uses OpenGL. You would have to completely rewrite the graphics part of the game as the Wii and Wii U both use GX. There's no such thing like OpenGL on the Wii.

Just regular ZDoom? I thought it used the same raycasting system as any other software renderer. Isn't it just GZDoom that uses OpenGL?

You may be right but the thing is that I'm in no way familiar with C++ so no chance for me to port over ZDOOM.

nitr8 said:

You may be right but the thing is that I'm in no way familiar with C++ so no chance for me to port over ZDOOM.

I'm not asking you specifically to do it, just asking if the idea is even possible. XD

Super Flip said:

Sorry for going silent on feedback. Now that I've set my Wii back up, I can update and test this out,

Wait for the next release as it will fix a bug with OGG playback.

* Download Link & Info updated (R31) *

Changes for all ports:

- fixed OGG music not playing for certain IWADs

Average said:

Great to see a new Wii Doom port. :)

Just a quick question. Can I use any old USB stick and simply create a folder called 'apps' for this? I have my Wii modded but I've only ever used the SD slot for homebrew...

:)

Average said:

:)

Those ports do support SD card usage -> read the release info. SD card support was added months ago.

* Download Link & Info updated (R32) *

Changes for all ports:

- fixed OGG support for SD card usage

* Download Link & Info updated (R33) *

Changes for Wii-DOOM:

- applied more patches to OGG-support for DOOM 2
- applied more patches to OGG-support for the game states

CHANGES FOR WII-HERETIC:

CHANGES FOR WII-HEXEN:

CHANGES FOR WII-STRIFE:

- fixed a bug that caused the game to crash when using the map selector above map 34 in the cheat menu

nitr8 said:

Those ports do support SD card usage -> read the release info. SD card support was added months ago.

I'm aware of that. That's not what I was asking. I was asking if all I had to do was create an Apps folder on any USB stick.

EDIT:

So, after downloading and extracting your software without knowing whether it would work or not. I read your OP AND Readme.txt:

REQUIREMENTS

- a Nintendo Wii Console with Homebrew Channel installed
- an original Wii Classic Controller connected to the Wiimote (plays best)
- an USB drive (SD-Card is NOT supported and i'm not going to write support for it)

INSTALLATION

- copy all of the directories to the "APPS" folder on your USB device

- if you want, you can install the FORWARDER WAD's corresponding to your console using YAWMM

- the main game IWAD for each game is required as well in order to get each game to run

- DO NOT RENAME THE GAME DIRECTORIES AS THESE ARE SPECIFIC TO THE SOURCE CODE

- DO NOT MOVE OR RENAME ANY OF THE FILES IN THE GAME DIRECTORIES THAT CAME WITH THIS RELEASE
(the RESOURCE PWAD's are named "psp....wad" because i re-used them from my PSP / PS VITA ports)

So, after reading your requirements and installation instructions there is no mention of how to use the SD card and USB combination... In fact, the only mention of an SD card is an explicit statement regarding there being NO support!

Your release info makes no mention of correct usage...

SD card support is added. I just need to update the first post if it still says that there wouldn't be support for SD cards at all. It works only from SD card OR USB. It's not made to work from both at the same time or in combination.

I suggest to use USB hard drives as for OPL MIDI playback there seems to be a flaw when using USB sticks.

Simply copy the apps folder from the zip file into the root of the SD card or USB drive. You also need the IWAD from one of the original games in order to play. Place this WAD anywhere on the USB drive or SD card where the main game folders are located and start the corresponding game from within the homebrew channel. Once inside the WAD selector, select the main IWAD and run the engine.

If that's too hard for you to understand then I can't help you any further - sorry.

After figuring out how to downsample the ogg music, I'm really loving this port. Gonna be putting it on the stream setup at my Melee weekly if I finish setting up ahead of schedule! Gamecube controller support is really the only thing that feels like it's missing, but if you're hella done with this port I totally get it.