1. Start playing
2. Get stuck
3. Quit
4. Open Doom Builder
5. Restart

Now, odessa_3 put a smile on my face for the first time by putting a switch

Spoiler

inside a crusher

Also, this is what I did in a room filled with damaging blood. A wall in front of me (west), a switch on the right (north). I press the switch, I hear a lift lowering. I turn immediately east and look for a pillar or a portion of wall that lowered. Nothing. So I press again, turn east, jump to the damaging blood, looking at all pillars from all directions. In the end, the blood kills me. Which wall did lower? The one in front of me (west)! I feel so stupid by thinking I was so smart!

Currently playing: memorial.wad
Progress: At the Nirvana section
Play time: Was too busy mapping to care.

Comment: I wonder who pulled this off and how.

vdgg said:

Odessas...

lol, good luck man. Especially on odessa_7.

Finished swift death. A unique experience.

I finally got to playing The Trooper's Playground. Good thing I got the version which contains the fixed version which allows you to load it on source ports easily. I would like to know how to be able to play it on vanilla. I have no idea how to load dehacked files on vanilla, and like to experience how the wad was played before source ports came along.

Nevertheless, I really enjoyed it, and played the bonus map. Great fun, yet challenging at the same time.

finally played PHMLSPD. i like that Phml resolved to let players get by with tactics like doorway camping while leaving enough room for expert players to work their magic. It's not a glamorous mapset compared to the newschool slaughter stuff that has come out in the years since, but it gave us Chillax, for better or for worse.

Now enduring: Hell Revealed II

I started playing A.L.T. I nearly stopped after the first 2 maps due to the weird visuals and slightly dodgy gameplay, but figured I would keep going and see if it gets better. I'm up to map14 now and I'm not sure i'm enjoying it. Its certainly different I'll give it that, but there are some real crimes against gameplay to endure along the way. Is it worth soldiering on?

If you're more of a "gameplay oriented" guy, then probably not. It's mostly about the feel and stuff. But check out Map 15 for the music\visuals, it's really beautiful.

Nowadays I only play ALT in multiplayer, which minimizes slowness of the gameplay.

Yeah there are some interesting ideas and visuals in some of the maps. I think I will carry on with it, I can always skip any maps that start to annoy me.

I feel like maps 10 & 12 of ALT.WAD contain so much "gameplay" that they urge me to put god mode on =P but when it comes to atmosphere I've never found a better level set

Up to MAP07 of Scythe 2: kind of miffed that I'm going to get splattered and lose my weapons every 5 maps, but still having fun.

Currently playing DsDoom3 and up to Map12. I know it's in a beta stage right now but I'm a bit disappointed at how it's mostly hallways and doors and almost nothing else. The graphics and conversions are really impressive, though.

finished Hell Revealed II. A lot of the megaWAD feels like it's trying to tread water between Requiem's fancy renderer cheats and the monster density they were more or less expected to bring to the table. Heck; the layouts feel like echoes of the mid-90s era of megaWADs. They're just stuffed with monsters with what seems like little regard for pacing. That's obviously not the case for the entire megaWAD, but where I might have died a number of times trying to figure out a strategy for dealing with Hell Revealed's multi-faceted encounters and then feeling a thrill when it started to click, it felt like most of my HR2 time was spent holding monsters at choke points and diligently grinding them into oblivion. Still, there were some really fun maps, and while grueling at times there were only a few points where I really felt annoyed.

with HR2 behind me, the next entry in slaughter education will be kama sutra. or, shit, i guess deus vult? either way it'll be a little while before I take another walk on the wild side.

kmxexii said:

finished Hell Revealed II.

Agghhh I wish I had more time to replay HR and try HR2. I'm finding that my opinions on wads compared to my initial experiences have vastly changed as time has gone on—HR was my first induction to slaughter and I'd love to see whether or not it holds up, and I'm interested in how HR2 tackles being its successor (especially after your words). It'd be neat to know your thoughts on Deus Vult as well—I got back into playing Doom because of how awesome I thought Deus Vult 2 was in 2009/2010, and after playing the original Deus Vult sometime this February, it joins Holy Hell in my ranking for being completely repetitive, obnoxious shlock full of bullshit difficulty. Huy Pham is clearly talented—no denying that—but there was not a single point throughout the wad where I found myself having fun; it made me wonder what I originally enjoyed about Deus Vult 2 other than the grandeur.

I played hell revealed again recently after trying it years ago and hating it. Its interesting playing it today and seeing all the weird gameplay experiments and obvious influences on subsequent wads.

Then I started HR 2 and reached a point only a few maps in where I was put into such a bullshit situation that I figured this just wasn't going to be fun, so I quit. I might try it again one day.

Deus vult I never get tired of.

Deus Vult blew me away. I loved it, but I played on HMP HNTR for the sake of my sanity. KMX, when you play it, will you play it chopped up (MAPS 01-04) or as a single map (MAP05)? I can't help but wonder how the majority of people approach it; I did it as a single map in GZDoom, and a lot of the wow factor came just from the sheer scope.

As for me, I'm in the "down" cycle of my DOOM playing. I'm trying to keep up with the DWMC of Doom 2 Reloaded but my interest has flagged--not for that wad in particular (I'm enjoying it) but for playing in general at the moment. I'm also picking away at Obituary, which is fun.

Looks like people at Zombie Horde are missing the Bagels >_< Many of them are wondering why isn't it existing anymore, I might host a server with that Soon though .

replaying CC4 at the moment, doing secrets for the wiki. up to MAP15 now, MAP08, 11, and 14 all were tedious to do. there were easter eggs in 8 and 14 while 11's BFG secret seems bugged or something (I found no way to reach it without cheating)?

The BFG secret in CC4 MAP11 must be reached using

Spoiler

an arch-vile jump. When you enter the bright-red rock room, an arch-vile will teleport in, spot you, and then teleport to the area you must jump from, which is just outside the cave you find the red rock room in. He will most likely run into the cave, after which you must lure him out again. Either way, however, with the arch-vile outside, you must perform an arch-vile jump while running toward the BFG pillar. For best results, get a running start while running directly away from him (instead of at an angle), and get yourself launched at the edge or just off of it. You should be thrown directly at the pillar and land on at least one of the steps of the pillar, after which you can climb up and get the BFG (and the secret).

In -nomonsters, a switch will be present in the red rock secret to temporarily make it act like an elevator, which will stop and wait for five seconds before lifting again.

I kept thinking that it was an arch-vile jump to reach that secret, but never really considered it given how distant it was. maybe if I was dew or something I could reach it that way. I kept my focus on that one switch though, the one that the arch-vile closes off in his dummy sector at the start of MAP11. Will probably make a note about this.

played E2MWalter, which I really enjoyed. Doom maps with goofy secrets like the Berserk room are among my faves. I could only be so lucky as to get a map as neat as this for my own birthday.

Played Abyssal Speedmapping Session 1. I already knew what to expect from GRB and Obsidian, but Osiris was a welcome surprise. Gifty's map started out as a tense congestion zone but then there was the imp mosh pit, which cant help but feeling like a desperation move at the map's end.

Recently i finished BTSX e1(only finished e2 for the dwmegawad club), Ultimate Doom and Doom II.

Started playing Plutonia today, i'm already at map 12, had to stop after the massive adrenaline rush and almost heart-attack i had in map 11, god fucking dammit.

After i'm done with Plutonia i'm planing to play Evilution and No Rest For The Living, may god have mercy on my soul (it's already a lost case).