Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grazza

Post Your Doom Picture (Part 2)

@printz: Cool.

@walter confalonieri: Maybe it's too steep, the player won't even see where he's going, and I think that's why he wouldn't take so great satisfaction from navigating the stairs. If you lowered the step height to 8 at most, the scenery would improve and you would even add some reasonable combat to the area (monsters on the stairs or elsewhere). Beware of ugly monochromity.

@BaronOfStuff: Looks pretty good, except that I don't like the long straight plain hallways (corridor on the left, staircase on the right).

printz said:

I present the Deimos/Hell SKY2 without mountains, which can tile, and without the silly GIMP "seamless" filter from my previous screenshots (i.e. just the result of removing mountains to see the sky behind)!

Free to use in Doom mods.

I never liked those goofy snowy mountains, I'm going to use this sky in "hell clash".

Shadow Hog said:

1994 Tune-Up Project 2, this time entirely by BaronOfStuff

Don't tempt me further than I've already tempted myself. This is the twelfth fucking map now.

Good to see you mapping again Dutch devil!! Looks great as always! :)

Dutch Doomer said:

I'm liking what I see so far.

tourniquet said:

nice ones dutch...

i'm toying around a bit

http://www.mediafire.com/convkey/4c37/q8acmdghfud3tat6g.jpg

That's certainly some interesting architectural work.

Thanks guys, I'm starting to enjoy mapping again. I think I haven't been working on Doom maps for more than a year.

Nice screen tourniquet, cool textures.

@tourniquet: Impressive architecture and texturing! I only get a feeling that the sky hole in the top-left corner shouldn't look like that, as there is a higher structure above the metal support that should be visible in the hole.

As a huge fan of Black Sabbath, I wanted to pay homage to them in a unique way. So I made the floor of an arena I'm working on the album cover of Black Sabbath's album, Born Again. I did this by making the album the grid background and drawing linedefs over it. Sounds easy, but it took me five hours to get it just right.

^^If you were mapping for ZDoom, you could have made the big image just display over the floor in the game, if you used it as a floor texture.

scifista42 said:

^^If you were mapping for ZDoom, you could have made the big image just display over the floor in the game, if you used it as a floor texture.

I have no idea how to do that. Still a newb, haha. But I feel much more accomplished having done it line by line. Here's a birds eye of the finished arena if anybody wants to try it. It's just a boss battle, nothing more. But I'm pretty proud of it.

Thank you for the compliments, guys.

TraceOfSpades said:

As a huge fan of Black Sabbath, I wanted to pay homage to them in a unique way. So I made the floor of an arena I'm working on the album cover of Black Sabbath's album, Born Again. I did this by making the album the grid background and drawing linedefs over it. Sounds easy, but it took me five hours to get it just right.

http://s7.postimg.org/n4ckqunvr/Screenshot_Doom_20150402_182933.jpg

Great stuff, that's one of my favourite Sabbath album.

NoneeLlama said:

Great stuff, that's one of my favourite Sabbath album.

Thanks man. If it was DooM related, I'd post my pumpkin carving of it. It's one of my favorites, too. I have the special edition that has the Reading Festival recording. Ian doing "Black Sabbath", to me, is ten times better than Ozzy, Martin, or even Dio doing that song.

@firefish : I'm pretty sure it's GZdoom since it's using 3d floors and slopes.

@breezeep : Suspended in dusk! I like it.

A map for "rusty" :

Breezeep said:

Playing around with Community Chest 4 textures.

Too much gray. Add a little bit more of colors, but stay with only 1 or 2 additional colors for most part.

It is indeed GZDoom. I like the freedom it gives me.

@Joe-ilya: Inoffensive visuals, quite reminiscent of a standard Doom 2 map. In fact, the style of the layout sort of reminds me of Suburbs. Looks promising, hope it delivers gameplay-wise.

@tourniquet: The loopy ceiling thing sort of reminds me of those custom Mario World levels that like to go crazy with the angled tiles. Sort of almost has a strange whimsy to it.

Archi said:

Too much gray. Add a little bit more of colors, but stay with only 1 or 2 additional colors for most part.

Not all structures are polychromatic. I hate that so many people on here complain about that. "It's too monochromatic." Go outside, see the world...see that some things are just drab in design. This is doom, not rainbow road on Mario kart. Chromatic blandness makes for a dreadful environment. No happiness. That is DooM.

TraceOfSpades said:

Chromatic blandness makes for a dreadful environment. No happiness. That is DooM.

Doom is what you make it (thanks to mapping). As a player, I despise dullness and ugliness. I'm not a fan of horror genre at all, the immersion of "looking like it's real" is low in my list of priorities. I prefer games that show me a satisfactory eye-candy, inspirative design or at least food for thought, and a little of pleasurable addrenaline-pumping gameplay.

scifista42 said:

Doom is what you make it (thanks to mapping). As a player, I despise dullness and ugliness. I'm not a fan of horror genre at all, the immersion of "looking like it's real" is low in my list of priorities. I prefer games that show me a satisfactory eye-candy, inspirative design or at least food for thought, and a little of pleasurable addrenaline-pumping gameplay.

Too each their own, brother. I love the horror genre. I'd love to play a map that was aesthetically beautiful (in the realm of realism) that was dimly lit and had a few well placed enemies for jump scares.