Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Zulk RS

Remakes Wanted

NiGHTMARE said:

The environments aren't so bad, it's more the character and creature models that are pretty hideous by today's standards.

Actually, I'm not really a fan of the default character models in Oblivion, either - there are several fan made replacements which are far superior.

The models weren't so bad, it was the textures which looked bad.

Doominator2 said:

I really want to see a full remake of System Shock 2

This. I take it you already know of the Rebirth mod and the texture upgrade pack?

Maybe not a remake but a remaster.

I would like a remake of "Abuse", that game was totally awesome!! I would love to see it put to work with today's standard tech. But I'm also too afraid they would ruin it. What a great game it was.

Doom. Just make it brutal. Half-Life 2 just make it "upgrade" Half-Life 1 just make it Half-Life 2.

Daikatana. Yes absolutely remake Daikatana. I beg someone.

Otherwise Mario.

Well,all i want is to play the retail version of Blackmesa Source >_<
Those guys really deserve money .

I'd like to see Fallout Tactics: BoS get remade, give it a fancy little graphical rework and fix up some of the issues (such as turn based being broken, not that I use turn based but I am sure having it actually work would be nice) whilst expanding on the bestiary, explorable locations, combat options (friendly fire toggling would be nice, unintentionally butchering half your own squad seems to be a theme with that game) and general firepower available to make it seem worth it, possibly extending the story would be nice too (Before the ending that is, I don't think post ending shit would go down well).

Release it as a digital download and then boom, you got a decent enough remake I guess (more of a remaster but whatever).

Or just make a sequel, the franchise of Fallout Tactics is hardly large.

Glaice said:

This. I take it you already know of the Rebirth mod and the texture upgrade pack?

Maybe not a remake but a remaster.

Ya remaster would be a better word for it, strange how system shock began as a game of isolation and claustrophobia to Bioshock infinite where you basically have a companion and the game takes place in a open environment.

Da Werecat said:

Compare the two:

Also that's an animating frame, which is shown for a split second. Those tend to get less attention because you don't spend a majority of the game staring at that frame alone. (The idle frame is colored better)

Da Werecat said:

It's a hilariously ugly frame in a supposedly "perfect timeless pixel art game". There's no excuse. :)

You come off as willfully dense.

I think it's the second time you're going ad hominem on me for saying things about Doom's perfect pixel art graphics, unless I'm confusing you with someone else. Why would you do that?

I apologize. From now on I'll stop all attempts to educate the unwashed masses of Doomworld, lest anyone's feelings get hurt.

Doom's art is pretty fugly and lazy-looking at times, I'll admit. The sprite alignments are probably the worst offender, though.

Da Werecat said:

I apologize. From now on I'll stop all attempts to educate the unwashed masses of Doomworld, lest anyone's feelings get hurt.

Just tell us to shower why don't ya?

"educate"

I'll bite. Is it supposed to be a lesson on how not to present an argument?

People offer constructed answers with ideas of pixel density, resolution, animated frame, relevance of effort in split second picture vs fixed background. You reply with your subjective opinion, without trying to justify that stance logically. That's worthless to anyone but you.

You're not arguing in good faith. It sounds like you came here to have a "gotcha!" moment against the establishment of people who like Doom on a Doom forum. But then the mindless sheep replied thoughtfully, so you get scared and run away.

Personally I'm of the opinion Doom's pixel art doesn't hold up to modern standards... But then I'm not interested or qualified to argue about it so there's little point in bringing it up, beyond pissing on your little fantasy anyone who disagrees with your attitude is a mean Doomworld reactionary.

Da Werecat said:

Not the best examples, admittedly, but the fact that the first picture is a sprite doesn't excuse it from being so ugly.

By the way, guess which one of these pictures has 14 colors (the other one has 78). With pixel art people achieve more with less, that's why it doesn't age.

Anyway, just being contrary as always.

So that's why the background is full of ugly dithering.

Lets see...remakes...
How about Abe's Exoddus? I know Oddysee got a remake...and it all honestly by how well that has been received I would hope to see it's (imo) superior sequel to get the same kind of love!

...now I still need to get a PS4 or new hardware for my PC so I can actually buy and play the god damn game! :D

Touhou 1. Seriously it's the only game I've ever seen with that type of gameplay.

I'd love to see Age of Pirates 2: City of Abandoned Ships or Sea Dogs 2 remade.

Phml said:

I'll bite.

So now you want to discuss things? Note to self: exaggerated elitism tricks Phml into actually trying.

Pixel density doesn't really matter, because the point was always about precision. And that's what I said. The SSG drawing on that frame is just crude.

Is it justified to have a badly drawn frame in the game if it will only be seen briefly? If you don't have time to polish it - the contemporary players will live, maybe they won't even notice it, at least consciously.

Using the term "pixel art" to praise the graphics raises the stakes, because pixel art is being associated with perfectionism. And it's just one example of a dodgy art asset in Doom - the idle frame has a noticeable junk pixel on its edge, it was lit the way that makes it look asymmetrical, et cetera (although it's still better than some of the reloading frames).

Believe it or not, I kinda like Doom. But if someone will claim that it's a very deep game because it's a dungeon crawler - first I'm going to say that it's not a dungeon crawler. After no one will believe me, I'll say that it's way too simple for a typical dungeon crawler. Then someone will overreact, and I'll "run away".

replied thoughtfully

I hope you didn't mean yourself.

Gez said:

So that's why the background is full of ugly dithering.

Manual dithering is a legitimate way of producing smooth gradients with the amount of colors typical for pixel art.

Anyone that sees that without the System Shock 2 name would hear "generic space corridor shooter." Followed by "Cutting edge 12 years ago."

Doom, Quake, Duke3D and some other retro FPS don't need any fucken remakes.
Why?
Because Doom has smoother, hi-tex, hires sound packs which make it better.
Quake has various packs of hi-res models and sound packs and so on.
Duke3D has Duke Plus mod, which is optional for replaying the whole game again, has a hi-res sound pack and some other mods.

mrthejoshmon said:

Oddworld needs to get back out there, all the games they made were just great.

The first installment was just recently remade, it's on Steam right now. The game does have it problems, but it's a fair remake.

Da Werecat said:

Compare the two: [img]

The dithering looks terrible in that second image, so damn fugly.

(Do not take this post seriously)

EDIT: Fuck, Gez beat me to it..

J.B.R said:

Because Doom has smoother, hi-tex, hires sound packs which make it better.

I find that hi-res textures tile poorly and make texture misalignments in the IWAD levels all the more noticeable, also they stand out jarringly against any PWAD's custom assets.

On a side note, I don't get hate for dithering. I find it rather charming and would rather have it that color banding.