Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
scifista42

STARTAN Challenge Project (done and released)

Good project?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Good project?

• No
    • Impse

pcorf said:

If you can give me a few days.

Yeah I might need this as well. Damnit me and my slow mapping!

30 seconds before midnight...

STARTAN Triggered

Compatibility: PrBoom+ CL-9
Music: Let's Do This Shiznit from 30in30 by Jimmy.

Version 1.1 Update

- Fixed start(AN) room floor bug.
- Fixed strafe jump to the exit shortcut.
- Fixed some texture errors, more texture alignment corrections.
- Added some more detailing to the blander areas of the map.
- Added a TITLEPIC to the wad.

Version 1.2 Update

- Improved the exit
- Some texture alignment.

Version 1.3 Update

- Added Impassible to a linedef I missed that allowed the player to get outside the map.

@Pinchy: Your map has a bug. When I approach the demon pedestals at start, the demons raise and stay 32 units above the floor, being harmless. Then when I go to the side room with the shotgun, the pedestal borders uncover a HOM, while the pedestals themselves stay in their raised position and the demons can't move out.

Also, it is possible to take a massive shortcut by straferunning to the exit platform from the lift in nukage, without having the red key or anything.

Structurally nice, varied, interesting and fun to play map, I liked it.

I've made some updates that fix those two problems and some other things I didn't notice.

Updated original post.

I really held back on how many textures I used intentionally due to the challenge of the project.

I chose one flat and one texture for detailing that contrasted well with the default ones to break up the map and use as an indicator for lifts and doors(no door textures!)

Other than that I used one stone flat for the out of shot outdoor Romero area, one light, a keymarker and the exit markers.

I suppose I would get more challenge points but less map points.

My little map is about halfway complete. It is nearly entirely STARTAN2 with FLOOR0_1 and CEIL1_1, a few lights, supports and other things. The music is D_E1M1 but I have added a D_RUNNIN like Organ over the top.

Some screenshots from my almost complete map.

The map will be named "The REAL Whispers of Startan"

Pcorf, good map in a style that's typically yours. :) Interesting music mix. I liked the custom STARTAN secret switch. Otherwise I can't say anything else than that the map was fine.

One more thing I forgot to mention about walter confalonieri's map: The exit yellow door is bugged. Its back side has a wrong direction, which allows the door's border to act like a door on its own, it may close and lock the door forever if you manage to press it (you need to stay right under the door, but it's possible).

I will compile this wad within a day or two, but if anyone has suggestions or objections, feel free to share them.

Are you planning to put those on idgames? My map wasn't really meant to be a serious effort so i'd rather prefer if you'd not include it.

@tourniquet: The project is obviously inserious, I'd name it "April Fools STARTAN Maps of Any Quality" or something, at least half of the submissions are pretty crappy anyway, so are you sure?

Here is an alpha release: https://www.sendspace.com/file/u9e4k6

Only a map + music + texture + DEHACKED compilation, no CWILV** texts or credits textfile yet. Contains 11 maps. Vdgg's map was excluded from the compilation, because he asked me to do so. Map order is a subject to change. I've roughly put some good maps to the beginning slots and annoying maps to the end.

Proud to be in the boss map slot! Can you pls write my map's name as "VILE GAME" instead of "VILEGAME"? Also, maybe it's problematic that there is a UDMF map in the middle and it crashes prboom-plus.

The elevator near the red key in MAP05 Spacetan is missing its Sky Transfer. Pretty easy fix, just split a linedef where the sky transfers are and add its tag.

This is the elevator just before you get the red keycard on the NE side of the map.

pcorf said:

The elevator near the red key in MAP05 Spacetan is missing its Sky Transfer. Pretty easy fix, just split a linedef where the sky transfers are and add its tag.

This is the elevator just before you get the red keycard on the NE side of the map.

Just make sure Doom Builder doesn't change the alignment on the split line, or the sky there will be offset :)

I dunno, has anyone finished my map? Here is a quick demo just to show that it's nothing terribly difficult or annoying really: http://www.speedyshare.com/h22Ht/vilegame-heh.zip In my humble opinion the gameplay is very cool lol, it's exciting to run away from the viles while trying to find the next keen. Btw I didn't memorize their placement, just moved somewhat randomly.

^Cool indeed. I tend to panic and I'm relatively reluctant to move, that's why I couldn't play the level with such elegance. I wasted my shots into a few Archviles and eventually died.

Here is beta release: https://www.sendspace.com/file/epns3j

Textfile contains a lot of question marks. I'd like to eliminate as much of them as possible before uploading to /idgames. Please share your wisdom / info.

--- MAP01 ---
Author: pcorf
Compatibility: Boom/limit-removing/vanilla ???
Music: D_RUNNIN + D_E1M1

--- MAP02 ---
Author: Breezeep
Music: "Last Resord" from Requiem

--- MAP03 ---
Author: Pinchy
Compatibility: Boom
Music: ???

--- MAP04 ---
Author: Jimmy

--- MAP05 ---
Author: walter confalonieri
Music: D_RUNNIN

--- MAP06 ---
Author: xnv
Compatibility: ZDoom

--- MAP07 ---
Author: Superluigieth1
Compatibility: limit-removing

--- MAP08 ---
Author: joe-ilya
Music: joe made it himself, unnamed

--- MAP09 ---
Author: tourniquet

--- MAP10 ---
Author: scifista42

--- MAP11 ---
Author: Memfis

scifista42 said:

Textfile contains a lot of question marks. I'd like to eliminate as much of them as possible before uploading to /idgames. Please share your wisdom / info.

--- MAP01 ---
Author: pcorf
Music: D_RUNNIN + D_E1M1

--- MAP02 ---

--- MAP03 ---
Author: Pinchy

--- MAP04 ---
Author: Jimmy

--- MAP05 ---
Author: walter confalonieri

--- MAP06 ---
Author: xnv
Compatibility: ZDoom

--- MAP07 ---
Author: Superluigieth1

--- MAP08 ---
Author: joe-ilya
Music: joe made it himself, unnamed

--- MAP09 ---
Author: tourniquet

--- MAP10 ---
Author: scifista42

--- MAP11 ---
Author: Memfis

My map is limit removing.

scifista42 said:

--- MAP02 ---

My map is in Boom Format. Also the music name should be "Last Resort", I messed up the spelling for that when I submitted the map.