• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TMD

Abyssal Speedmapping Session 17 - Comes with a free Frogurt!*

Capellan said:

Darn it, I missed the Crateastrophe!

:D

Also, if Never_Again is here, you know what time it is!

I forgot to mark the ventilation shaft in my map as a secret, but I'll leave it in. This was a good session, thanks TMD and everyone! I've played through some maps, and watched some on Pinchy's stream.

I have created level title graphics for this session. All of them are paletted with transparency, so all it will take to put them in is to "Convert to..." "Doom Gfx" in SLADE 3 with transparency enabled and set to "Existing". Each level is listed with its author's name followed by its title.

So far, all the levels posted in this thread are represented. If there were any not posted in this thread, please let me know and I will add it. Thank you!

Download:
[offline]

EDIT (3:16 PM PDT): Pack updated with Dusk's level.

Dusk also made a map, I dont recall the name right now, but he is on irc afaik. That is the only one not posted here.

Thank you for the CWLIV stuff :D

So yeah, I didn't get my router yesterday and couldn't make the session. Might have been for the best though, considering I'm one of the heretics that voted for The Living End. :P I should be able to make the next session though. Look forward to playing the compilation!

Ok here's a beta if you want it. Load it with cc4-tex in Zdoom, don't think it works with boom yet. The final version will, of course.

Nice session, awesome maps everyone! My favorites were AD_79's and Memfis' map (also Surreily's map had a pretty cool Doom 1 feel to it).

The previous beta received a bit of controversy on IRC over having to load cc4-tex to play it, so I took the time out to create a new beta version with all the required CC4 textures included—along with other unknown textures as well as textures that existed in the WAD but weren't included in TEXTURE1. I recreated the TEXTURE1 lump from the Doom 2 IWAD lump and added to it from there, which means the beta is now playable in PrBoom-plus and other non-ZDoom ports. I've also fixed up the MAPINFO and DEHACKED lumps so the correct map names are displayed. The levels remain unchanged from the previous beta, with one exception: Travers Dunne's MAP13 (Knuckle Crusher) has a fully-built REJECT lump instead of a zero-byte lump, so certain older Boom-compatible ports don't crash trying to load it.

The only oddity in the beta right now is the inclusion of a FIREBLU-based crate texture, which appears in the included resources but does not appear to be used in any map. Nevertheless, for now, I put it in TEXTURE1 and gave it an ANIMATED entry.

The newest beta can be found here:
[offline]

Test away! :)

I wouldn't be surprised, but SLADE 3 did not find animated crates in that level when I checked, FIREBLU or not, and neither did any version of Doom Builder. In fact, FIREBLU crate textures don't seem to appear in any of the posted WADs. Odd.

Speaking of which, the submitted versions of Jimmy and Memfis's maps feature custom skies made by directly replacing RSKY1 (the lone patch of SKY1). Naturally, one currently goes unused in the beta, and the other shows up in other levels. For the final version, linedef action 272 (sky transfer with the texture flipped, a la Doom) should be added to both levels to use those textures. I may do this for the next beta.

Slade3 is weird with texture replacements, especially animated ones. I tried to replace the original sladrips but whenever I do that, all replacements are ignored. Its pretty much why ABYSPE16 didnt get uploaded for a week.

Sky transfers will be included when I get to the next beta.

I can take care of both if you wish for it to be done now. I can put in the FIREBLU crates and the sky transfers without rebuilding nodes, which would be more convenient for people making beta-testing demos if whatever they record on the second beta will work on the next one.

okay then. The fireblu crates are only in the exitroom of my map, which is map04.

The beta now has a new version, version 2A, in which the animated FIREBLU crates have been reinstated in TheMionicDonut's MAP04, and the custom skies for Memfis's MAP07 and Jimmy's MAP10 are restored. All playtesting demos recorded on version 2 should work on version 2A, as I have done both of these without having to rebuild nodes courtesy of DETH.

You can find the new version here:
[offline]

Test away! :)

To start things off, here are things I found while playing "The Magnificent Crate-Astrophe" by AD_79 in version 2A. I played it using PrBoom-plus 2.5.1.3 with -complevel 9 for Boom compatibility.

1. You can shoot the enemies standing on crates over the edges with a shotgun (or super shotgun for the revenants)... and if you only push them partly over it, they will become immobile and helpless. I strongly recommend applying the "Block Monster" flag to the sides of these crates; while this would mean the cacodemons can't fly over them, it also means you wouldn't be able to render the chaingunner and revenants helpless with a single shot.
  2. Linedefs 42, 72 and 88, the outer sides of the elevator out of the pit, have no lower textures on their back sidedefs. If one player in co-op activates the elevator while the other activates linedef 1082, HOM will be visible. A PrBoom-plus demo demonstrating this that starts by activating the elevator from above can be found here. WFALL1 should be applied as the lower texture on their back sidedefs; it may look silly, but at least it would fix the problem.
  3. For that matter, the use of "S1 Floor Raise to Next Higher Floor" on linedef 1082 can break the "water" portion of the effect if the co-op players' timing is especially unfortunate, because the lowered elevator may be the "Next Higher Floor" in question. The result is that the water sector could stop at a lower height than intended. A demo demonstrating the bug can be seen here (recorded with slowdown only to make it easier to demonstrate). To prevent this, I recommend changing the effect of linedef 1082 to 101 ("S1 Floor Raise to Lowest Ceiling") and setting the ceiling heights of sectors 29, 30, 144 and 145 to the same values as their floor heights. While you can still take the elevator to get out, it'd prevent confusion further down the line if you couldn't glitch it at all.
  4. Linedefs 623 and 629 are flagged to set off the trap when you reach the blue key switch... but not linedef 620, which you can easily reach, meaning you can prevent the trap from going off just by crossing that linedef and activating the switch from there. A demo demonstrating this bug can be found here (the exploit is shown at 1:20 after I kill monsters to give myself breathing room to demonstrate). Set its type to 38 and its tag to 19 like the others to prevent this exploit from working.
  5. Linedef 1335 should have the "PassThru" flag set. The first time I got there, that line blocked my attempt to activate the elevator and I thought for a bit that the elevator itself was broken.
You can see the FDA here (one death):
[offline]

Not only that, but it seems the latest versions of Memfis, Surreily and Pinchy's maps didn't make it into the original beta either.

I've put all of these in a new version, version 2B, which you can download below. Like in the last version, Memfis's level has sky transfers added without rebuilding nodes, and traversd's map has a rebuilt REJECT lump and its Doom 1 textures included. No other maps are changed.
[offline]

I really hope I don't have to do a hotfix like this again.

Thanks for working on the compilation TGH!

I would replace the default E1 sky with one of the used ones because it sucks. Literally any other sky will make these levels 60% more attractive imo.

Btw if you're planning to write detailed reports on each level, you may skip mine cuz I'm not interested in polishing it since that would be against the spirit of speedmapping as I see it. Just saying to save you time.

jmickle66666666 said:

I like to take feedback on maps I've made, even speedmaps, to help with building future maps too.

+1