Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TMD

MAYhem 1500. 34 maps! Playtesting and stuff this month!

So whats it gonna be?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. So whats it gonna be?

• Gothic texture pack
    • NMN texture pack (1 or 2...its a mystery!)
    • UAC ultra texture pack

scifista42 said:

@Tarnsman: The causality is:

Texture pack is good -> Texture pack gets voted -> Texture pack gets picked -> Texture pack gets picked often -> Texture pack gets overused.

Popularity =/= Quality.

Edit: I actually have nothing against GothicTX, I'm just giving everyone shit because they constantly complain about the same textures getting used over and over and then when given the choice, they do exactly that.

And yes GothicTX IS that overused. Parts of it are in pretty much every single major texture pack for community projects.

Tarnsman said:
And yes GothicTX IS that overused. Parts of it are in pretty much every single major texture pack for community projects.

This, pretty much. I had a look through gothictx last night and my reaction was "I've seen most of this in cc4-tex."

Chucking in a vote for UAC Ultra because it hardly ever gets used. Admittedly it does limit mappers to one map style, so maybe something else to go with it?

Tarnsman said:

Oh look the most overused texture pack is the one winning. See Donut, this is why you don't allow democracy to choose shit that requires taste.

Surely it's the third most "overused" set of textures after those in doom.wad and doom2.wad? I'm pretty sure those beat Gothic by several thousand .wads.

Yeah, the stock textures from the IWADs themselves are the most overused textures in any wad that has them.

Obsidian said:

Admittedly it does limit mappers to one map style, so maybe something else to go with it?

Maybe we could use UACU for the techy maps, and gothic or something else for the hell maps.

Might get weird looking if someone wants to do some sort of E2 level.

I like the idea of 2 sets of resources specifically because i think it'd be interesting to see how they could be blended.

Marcaek said:

I like the idea of 2 sets of resources specifically because i think it'd be interesting to see how they could be blended.

This.

I voted for NMN Textures because they're the textures I'm least familiar with. One of my favourite parts of mapping for MAYhem 2014 was experiencing the RETRES texture pack for the first time.

The concept of making ones own PNAMES/TEXTURE1 is iffy, and Ive had nothing but trouble with it in the past. But ill have it fixed by compilation time.

Ive updated OP, if NMN wins it will be both sets.

It seems like the Gothic DM textures are going to win, so might I propose this modified version?

It's Gothictex.wad with additional textures and flats from Fetal DM, Requiem, Darkening E1, Overload, Surge, SlaughterDM, Crucified Dreams, and Execution. There's also a handful of brand new stuff, such as recoloured Gothic DM lights and windows.

Credits go to Anthony Czerwonka, Iikka Kerranen, Dario & Milo Casali, Ola Bjorling, Derek MacDonald, Kerkko Valila, François-Xavier Delmotte, Scuba Steve, and myself.

I've tried to avoid including textures that are too similar to one another, which means most of my "remakes" of Gothic DM textures made for SlaughterDM aren't included.

OP updated.

Use gothic textures.
THINGS ARE HAPPENING!

Eh, kinda disappointed by the 1500 line limitation. Give us a nice texture set to play with then limit the amount of detailings we can do? Boo.

1500 lines? That shit is easy, almost every map I've made so far fits into that limitation or is at least close to it :P

Shiiiiiiiiiiiiit line restriction is my bane. Good counter to last year's spacial limit—let's see what I can scrape together...

dobu gabu maru said:

Shiiiiiiiiiiiiit line restriction is my bane. Good counter to last year's spacial limit—let's see what I can scrape together...

Everytime you start over-detailing send the map to me and I'll yank stuff out for you.

Given that gothic doesn't excite me as a texture set right now (because I used many of the textures in CC4 and in nukehall.wad), it's unlikely I'll be making a map a map myself so I might have some time to ruin yours :)

Well, good luck. Line restriction is not really my thing. Hope to see some really cool ideas with this one.

Does anyone else got problems with textures? ADEL_F39 and ADEL_F42 goes all tutti-frutti while playing PrBoom+

I made a 100 lines map without a problem, how much harder would this be?

Texture pack needs an official fix, though. EDIT: Thx Archi.