Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
joe-ilya

If you could make any item you want, what would it be?

AD_79 said:

icon of win

because hey there's no challenge anymore once you pick that up

Be good for hordes of demons though.

JudgeDeadd said:

Aw, I thought the thread was "if you could create any Doom item in real life..." :p

Then it would be medikit. People with whatever diseases would simply touch a medikit to improve their health state (people with destructive incurable diseases would prolong their lives forever if being constantly supplied with medikits). Much more useful for the world than any temporary invulnerability or strength boost until the end of the day.

MFG38 said:

I wonder what id's reasoning for not implementing it into Doom would be if they were asked about it.

I want to say either engine limitations or they didn't code it properly. Regardless it's kind of irritating.

I've toyed around with making a 1up type item = essentially a Soulsphere that injects the player with 100 health once they fall <= 0hp.

In effect, very similar to how a Soulphere works, but you could collect them, effectively boosting your hp into the 100s.

Cons: inescapable death pits would be even more horrible. Maybe it could teleport you to the player 1 spawn, idk

Megabomb. Every actor within 384 map units of the player suddenly explodes (quadruple damage rocket explosions centered on every victim). Player is immune to effect. Cyberdemons and spiderdemons are immune as well since explosions don't hurt them, and barons would barely survive, but everything else is toast.

Inspired by Raptor: Call of the Shadows.

I would like an 8th weapon that shoots spawn cubes.

Where a cube lands, a random monster is spawned. The monster is friendly to you (at least for some time) and helps you by attacking other monsters and players (even in coop, of course).

joe-ilya would like an item that spawns friendly "My Little Ponies" I'm sure.

Jump rocket launcher : A rocket launcher that doesn't damage anything, but still pushes the player and the monsters.

"Electric Sphere" "Emperor Sphere", like a berserk which would temporarily allow the player to cast electric lightnings out of his fist (like the Emperor in Star Wars did), frying enemies at both long and short distances, without consuming ammo. Damage at least 2x bigger that chainsaw damage.

Ichor said:

A medikit that sprouts legs and runs away from the player.

Probably been done before? A (troll) monster that shapeshifts into item pickups and then when the player gets close enough changes to its true form and attempts a high damage melee attack. It would need to either change shape and roam periodically or have some vague telltale so if trying to get max kills the player isn't checking every pickup left over in the map ;o)

traversd said:

Probably been done before? A (troll) monster that shapeshifts into item pickups and then when the player gets close enough changes to its true form and attempts a high damage melee attack. It would need to either change shape and roam periodically or have some vague telltale so if trying to get max kills the player isn't checking every pickup left over in the map ;o)

Well someone did make a sprite of the skull keys turning into monsters with skull key heads a while back.

quad damage from me too. i have savegames from various levels in my quake folder right before picking up the quad, and it's fun to warm up with a quad run. now doom has a lot more critters to send bits flying.

If we're talking about things we think would have been cool back in the Vanilla heyday, an "inventory soulsphere" that can grant you 100 HP when you feel it's necessary would be cool, but they'd have to be given out very sparingly, and there would be a limit of only carrying one at a time.

A "jump rune" would have been cool too, so levels in the same pack could be designed around jumping or not jumping, depending on wether the item is given.

Memfis said:

Nuts 2 has megaspheres that attack you. :)

Why aren't there more wads having items turn into monsters, then attack you? Or maybe the monsters could be disguised as items sometimes, like the Mimic from DnD. This could be entertaining, and scientific.

TheCupboard said:

Why aren't there more wads having items turn into monsters, then attack you? This could be entertaining, and scientific.

Because, as traversd implied, it would also be annoying, specially for players who don't enjoy spending time with extra exploration.

I don't know, Doom has pretty balanced Items...then Heretic and Hexen filled in the gaps.

Wish IMPs and Revenants to drop some kind of items like (their hands) and let me shoot fireballs >_<

DMGUYDZ64 said:

Wish IMPs and Revenants to drop some kind of items like (their hands) and let me shoot fireballs >_<

ID once wanted to make this, but then they didn't.

Mini-gun style weapon that fires 10 gauge shotguns shells.

A futuristic jackhammer that would be an alternative to the chainsaw.

Auto-inject berserk pack that heals you for 15% when your health goes below 15% and give you a short x2 damage berserk effect. It should also be a single use item.

Malfunctioning infrared goggles which nearly blinds you, except for when it momentarily flickers.

As the TC said, a Radar, one that reveals the entire Automap and shows all the things.

Also Armor Shards, so we have something in between the extremes of Armor Bonuses (1%) and Green/Blue Armor (100/200%).

Not necessarily a new item, but a cheat for a Backpack (or to include a Backpack in IDKFA/IDFA).

joe-ilya said about DMGUY's idea (Page1):

ID once wanted to make this, but then they didn't.

Man that's too bad, Valve did something simillar with Half-life
Alien Grunts might attack you with Snarkies and so you can .Same thing for Barnacle (At least for Opposing force)

TheCupboard said:

Why aren't there more wads having items turn into monsters, then attack you? Or maybe the monsters could be disguised as items sometimes, like the Mimic from DnD. This could be entertaining, and scientific.

Sounds like a Fun mini-game =3