Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jmickle66666666

Doom Builder Crashed? Didn't Save? One Weird Trick To Get Your Work Back

Quasar said:

Well, I don't see Eternity Engine on that list of ports.

At the end of the day, nobody actually says it, but all ports are in competition for content and users, while following their aims.

I've never tried GZDoom Builder because the name made me think it was literally for making GZDoom specific maps. I didn't know otherwise until reading this thread. It's a "Wii U" sort of branding issue

I recently converted to GZDB and I'm very happy with it, although there are some features it has I don't see myself ever using, it does have a lot of features that are very useful. I wish I could make it stop telling me the line angle for every line though.

This works using the last temp file that db2 stores internally, as far as I'm aware. The way the app crashes should make no difference.

(but really, just use gzdb, as everyone said :P)

IF YOU

HAD TOLD ME THIS

IN MAY 2010

I WOULDN'T HAVE HAD TO REDO 3 ENTIRE MAPS FROM THE BEGINNING.

Seriously, I'm still in your debt whether something like this occurs in da future.

[EDIT (as of 07-11-'17)] Actually, there's a problem with this.
It only works for the first time you do it. I mean, every time the same misoccurrence happened ever after, the file mined up from the repository was the exact FCKN same as my last save state.

Edited by Cell

Just tried this, it didn't work out. :(

I got the most random BSOD ever, and opened my map to find that I'd lost a bunch of progress. The temp file I managed to procure was for some reason 110MB in size... and was still an old version of the map, i.e. the last saved one, which doesn't make a lot of sense if it supposedly creates this temp file upon editing anything within the map.

Is this process affected by actually opening the map in DB/GZDB beforehand (to check what progress has been lost, as I did), or will it only work if you don't?

Spoiler

THIS FUCKING SQUARE MAP IS GOING TO KILL ME

Yeah! "Only" half hour work lost and got back because of computer crashing but this is great!

How can I change gzdoombuilders backup saving rate?

I started mapping for doom with Wad Author many years ago. I found out the very painful truth of data loss many times back then.  I'm using the latest doom builder now, but I still practice the habbit of VERY frequent saves. Looks like i can lay off that a bit now. Great to know, thank you!

FYI I've managed to find the snap shot but it's already a .wad file and opening it brings up the "are you sure this a map" error in gzdb

11 minutes ago, Bridgeburner56 said:

FYI I've managed to find the snap shot but it's already a .wad file and opening it brings up the "are you sure this a map" error in gzdb

I had that happen once, and I remember I just opened the file in Slade and was able to fix it. Unfortunately I can't remember exactly what it was I discovered (can't remember if it was missing the Map Marker, or things were just in the wrong order or something). But, try opening it in Slade, you might find a solution. Hope this helps.

I was working in Doom Builder a couple days ago, and that thing happened where in trying to draw a room, it automatically connects multiple rooms, erasing the walls that were there. This was not wanted, so I must have undone it. Then I left Doom Builder open for many hours and returned to my computer later, tired and eager to close the program. So I just kept most of my recent progress, and must have saved the file as it was, not realizing I'd just saved the change that wasn't meant to be saved. Now I open my map in Doom Builder to find weeks of progress undone, and I don't even remember some of the textures I had placed in earlier areas of the map, because I had finished that section a long time ago. I'm in shock right now. I tried opening the backup files, that was fucking useless. The stupid backup KEPT the same unwanted changes; i.e. it's the exact same as the bad save file. I did the method the OP said here, and the only tmp file is of what I opened today, after the map got ruined. Looks like I'll just have to redo it all over again from scratch. Fuck.

And as if that isn't bad enough, for some reason the past few days copying and pasting textures with the middle click has stopped working, no idea why.

Edited by QuaketallicA