Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
40oz

Mapping Dream Teams

I'd love to see a community megawad consisting entirely of collaborations.

NiGHTMARE said:

I'd love to see a community megawad consisting entirely of collaborations.

That's honestly a really good idea. It would be really interesting to see how certain people's styles would go together. Might be a faff to organise though.

Yeah, I really like this idea and I want to see it happen sometime.

Yeah that project didn't go well, haha. Hard enough to organise individual authors without having to worry about collaborations also.

I remember that project! I was mapping with Sgt Dopey and I remember him making a base map and me working on it, then he changed around a huge amount of stuff and I lost interest. I'd like to think I'd fare better next time around.

Well would anybody be willing to orchestrate a similar event? I would do so myself but I don't trust myself to do what seems a pretty tricky task.

A major part of collaborating with someone is communication. The two really need to enjoy each others company and have fun lighthearted conversations about doom and other common interests. If you keep your distance you're less likely to be respectful of their ideas and work, which can feel like a chore for both parties.

Coming up with ideal team collabs is mostly a pipedream type thing because it depends heavily on the two enjoying working together. But I do hope that we can be comfortable with each other on a more personal level. I like having PM conversations with people and id invite people to send me one and hopefully snowball into a healthy doom friendship. I'd hope everyone here can be just as welcoming as well.

Mu collab with Super Jamie stemmed from us exchanging PMs about being really inspired by each others styles. We answered messages often and even went on to exchange emails and phone numbers, even just to say "didn't map anything today, wasn't feeling inspired..." We kept tabs on each other often, were respectful of each others choices and opinions because we both believed we had a lot to learn from one another, etc. If you disappear for even a few days, the excitement of working together can plummet dramatically.

I love the idea of working on collabs but its vital for both people to have a mutual understanding and to stay optimistic. That can be tricky because it does require a bit of commitment but it can be a really fun experience.

Jmickle with Raymoohawk would make a good wad-making team. Jmickle making textures, maps and music, and Raymoohawk making sprites. Uniqueness guaranteed, as well as quality, because both of them are proficient at their jobs, and fast too.

Speaking of collaborations; I'm collaborating with my brother to create a huge non linear futuristic techbase that has a desolate and oppressive cyber punk atmosphere... and brutal Speed of Doom styled gameplay because fuck you. ;)

It'll probably only be available to the public in 2016 or 2017 though. :P

Pretty cool! Are the kind of darken2-ish techbase screenshots you've posted before part of this or a separate project?

Edit: also AD_79, Sfoz911 and Tarnsman should totally collab so we can try to pick apart who did what map :^)

Jokes aside, I'd actually like to see that.

DeathevokatioN said:

Speaking of collaborations; I'm collaborating with my brother to create a huge non linear futuristic techbase that has a desolate and oppressive cyber punk atmosphere... and brutal Speed of Doom styled gameplay because fuck you. ;)

It'll probably only be available to the public in 2016 or 2017 though. :P

Mh, this collaboration and the description of your map, reminds me something. :)

I will so much love seeing a team like Esselfortium + Joe Ilya :P

Seriously, My Dream Team will be : me, JCD, and Memfis. I already have a project with these two mappers, but I left it aside, since a moment.

I will be interested to work with 40oz, Obsidian, and scifista42. For their pretty clean and effective layout. :)

I would be curious to see Darkreaver working with Darkwave0000 and Joshy, his work is pretty similar IMO.

Marcaek said:

Edit: also AD_79, Sfoz911 and Tarnsman should totally collab so we can try to pick apart who did what map :^)

Jokes aside, I'd actually like to see that.

Can this happen please? I want to see/do this, heh.

joe-ilya said:

Fraggle and bloodshedder, because I never saw a map of them and because they're pretty iconic.

Never done a project with Bloodshedder but I have published maps in the idgames archive. I don't pretend they're very good.

If I was ever part of some mapping team again my strengths would probably be in being able to pull off some clever dehacked tricks through knowledge of the game's internals.

I love absolutely everything by Skillsaw and Dutch so I would devour with pleasure anything made in tandem by them.

I would kinda like it if I ever worked with AD_79 with his 50 Monsters project. I could contribute a map or two.

Breezeep said:

I would kinda like it if I ever worked with AD_79 with his 50 Monsters project. I could contribute a map or two.

Say no more, earlier today I was actually considering getting one or two people to help me out with it :P

I'll PM you the details later today, if I have the time.

AD_79 said:

Say no more, earlier today I was actually considering getting one or two people to help me out with it :P

I'll PM you the details later today, if I have the time.

If you want help making maps I'm available.

Marcaek said:

Pretty cool! Are the kind of darken2-ish techbase screenshots you've posted before part of this or a separate project?

Was going to be one release but now they'll be split up. They constitute one narrative but thematically the maps were too different.

For the sake of this thread: Espi (RIP) + Iikka.

How does one even dream team.

Is it just "this person does graphics, this person does layout design, this person does details, this person does item placement, this person does music." Or is it just pairing folks up?

TheMionicDonut said:

How does one even dream team.

Is it just "this person does graphics, this person does layout design, this person does details, this person does item placement, this person does music." Or is it just pairing folks up?

If it was like this, mine would probably be:

Graphics: esselfortium
Layout: Mechadon
Details: Vader
Item Placement: Ed
Music: Jimmy

All in one zdoom udmf map.

Team Umbrella Snowman needs to do something for real. But only after
MAYhem
TNT2
school
OitNS
50shades
AMOM
RFNZ
CChest5
32in24-15
and Mordeth

(Just kidding, I would never be part of any dream team :^) )

DeathevokatioN said:

Ed's a lot better at detailing than he is at thing placement... but that's just my opinion. :P

I was going to put Ed in detail, but had to go with Vader on that one, as for Ed in item placement, is just because i think that if Mechadon did the layout Ed would provide a fun and difficult battle against hordes of enemies that i like in his maps while maintaining a Mechadon style of level progression.