Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
franckFRAG

Swift Death (challenging megawad) [on /idgames]

You know I'm not a very good speedrunner but I am an expert at Doom. However, will the later maps be a little bit less difficult if I start each map with weapons from the previous map? Also, is this megawad designed for non-speedrunners but for expert players?

LingtheDoomGuy said:

You know I'm not a very good speedrunner but I am an expert at Doom. However, will the later maps be a little bit less difficult if I start each map with weapons from the previous map? Also, is this megawad designed for non-speedrunners but for expert players?

It seems easier when you keep weapons for every next map. It's suitable for non-speedrunners, if you choose an easy difficulty, you you won't have any trouble to cross the wad.

Well normally I play Ultra-Violence for a lot of wads. Some of the really hard wads I've played like Hell Revealed, Alien Vendetta, Speed of Doom, and Scythe 2 I actually beat them on Ultra-Violence. I've also done some speedruns as well, but they're not the fastest time. For this wad, are HMP and UV still meant for expert players who are only novice speedrunners? Sorry I forgot to say that I've had some experience with speedrunning, but not a lot.

UV and HMP are the difficulties dedicated to speedrunners, the first two difficulties are more accessible, I can compare those one, with Plutonia in UV. However, I think of rebalancing the HMP difficulty for the next beta, too close to the UV, I think.

Hello, sorry not to hold you informed about the progress of the project, but my exams caught up me. I haven't finished the DM starts placing yet.

However, I have a question, is it possible to call "sd.wad" according to /idgames? Effectively, there is already a wad called "sd.wad" (Sonic Doom), and i'm not sure that it's a good thing to have two "sd.wad" in /idgames.

Your wad belongs to a different directory (/Ports/megawads) so it will be accepted but yeah, I think it's not good to have two wads with the same name. What am I supposed to do if I already have that other one, rewrite or rename it? That's not nice. Better call it swdeath.wad or something.

I may consider giving this a try sometime. How experienced of a speedrunner do you have to be to be able to do this on HMP or UV?

sorry for the bump or something, but I think I forgot to ask this.

Lingyan203 said:

I may consider giving this a try sometime. How experienced of a speedrunner do you have to be to be able to do this on HMP or UV?

sorry for the bump or something, but I think I forgot to ask this.

"speedrunner" is to me an indication of a level of patience, dedication, and a resulting skillset that comes from Doom speedrunning experience. I recommend that you just try whatever difficulty you feel like, and if it really takes the boot to your ass to the point where you can't stand it, dial it down until you are back in your comfort zone. You will find out very quickly whether the experience is worth it for you.

@franck: Thanks! I was trying to think of a review stinger and when the idea hit me it was just too perfect

Enjoyed Maps 1-11 on UV. Really fun. Map 12 is horrible. Map 12 is like a bad parody of what people who hate slaughter maps think slaughter maps are. Map 13 was great again. Haven't beaten 14 yet.

Tarnsman said:

Enjoyed Maps 1-11 on UV. Really fun. Map 12 is horrible. Map 12 is like a bad parody of what people who hate slaughter maps think slaughter maps are. Map 13 was great again. Haven't beaten 14 yet.

I think that I'm going to remove this map, and to replace it. A lot of people doesn't like this map, it's too repetitive, and is not very "SD vibe". I already removed some maps before posting a beta version, this one already replaced an old map. I have some non-finished maps in my file, susceptible to replace it.

I've beaten 1-11 on UV MAX pistol start. 12 is really getting on my last nerve. I didn't have any cells left when I got to the pain elementals, and boy were they a pain in the ass.

EDIT: I finally beat 12 on UV Max but that was tedious as hell.

Hi!

It's a shame that i didn't post a new version of SD earlier! Now, here is the last beta before the final release :

>> Swift Death - BETA4

- New map12 !
- some items for the coop added
- DM Start added!
- Weapons and ammo added for the Deathmatch
- BOSSBACK changed
- Bug in map07 fixed
- Bug in map22 fixed
- various bug identified by Caleb13 fixed

And thanks JCD for the playtesting of the map12 :)

thanks for replacing "Redhouse Effect". the new map fits perfectly in alignment with the rest of Swift Death as I've experienced it. I like that there's a quick run to the RL available and the combat shotgun makes it simple to hide in the demon holes for your first bastion of safety. the map kind of quiets down after that since the new ambushes aren't quite as hectic, but the final room with the revenants kind of makes up for that.

Yep, the new map12 doesn't seem a real SD map in 100%. Especially the room with 2 archeviles, cacos, and revenants, Which is not at all strategic, but more a pleasure to kill in RL the horde of monsters.

Btw, I released the beta3 too fast, Certains DM weapons and DM ammos are marked in solo, what it falsifies the game... That's why I make a neeww beta (sigh)

Swift Death BETA 4 => http://www.mediafire.com/download/uzvoougi0s6zvkp/sd-beta4.zip

I hope to release the final version the next week :)

Hey scifista, The wad is in playtesting for the duel/deathmatch at the moment, 20/32 were tested. I hope to finish the rest of the wad for the next weekend. As I returned to school, I begin to run out of time :/