Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Here is my new Doom 2 level. Presumably it's vanilla compatible if you append new flats, but I can't test in Chocolate Doom because sometimes the sound screeches very loudly and it's painful for the ears so I don't want to use it. Also it includes many unused textures, which I can't get rid of because all programs crash for me when I try to remove them. If someone could do that for me, I would be grateful.

edit: thx scifista, good that Slade works for some people.

First, I've recorded an FDA in Chocolate Doom. It worked fine with the normal -file parameter, nothing more was needed at all. It was a fun exploratory map, with aesthetics beautiful in their simplicity, casual gameplay, variety, good stuff as usual. I liked it.

Then I decided to remove the unused textures on your request. I've opened the wad in SLADE3. First, I've selected "Edit->Maintenance->Remove unused flats", but it turned out there were no unused flats. Then I've used "Remove unused textures", manually unchecked all sky textures and switches (just to be sure), and confirmed. Lastly, I've used "Remove unused patches". They were removed. Then I've loaded the wad in Chocolate Doom again, and it seemed to work fine. Here is the wad: https://www.sendspace.com/file/db8kqi

Wow, that's something that will be useful for when I'm using SLADE. Thanks for that, Scifi.

Ummm I thought it was rather ugly for a Memfis map to be honest. Gameplay was alright for the most part and I actually liked that crusher trap. Decent effort.

Please whatever you do, don't use that midi again.

I've just managed to actually get to the exit. The latter parts of the map were maybe too obscure, particularly due to secret linedefs and hidden switches (I eventually had to use IDDT 2 times). Said areas looked rather ugly or bland, I admit. These visuals didn't spoil the map for me, only the obscured progression kind of did.

I think it's good to encounter ugly areas and get totally stuck sometimes. Or die to unfair traps (I hope that crusher got someone). You get a little confused or annoyed, you're not sure what to do, you have to try various things, see what works and what doesn't... You have an experience. This wad was inspired by playing random 90s WADs found on /idgames, mostly kinda shitty ones. I found figuring them out, encountering surprising ideas and all that crap a lot more exciting and inspiring than playing boring\polished\lifeless\etc modern releases, which might be well thought-out but often seem devoid of anything memorable or unique. I know most people will disagree, which is fine.

good map.

Spoiler

I got stuck in that one hallway with the blue pad. I humped all the walls, even the sides of the inlets, and shot them all too. I even tried humping the border lines that separated light-levels. Then I came to the false but obvious conclusion that the map was broken... and then I found the actual solution after opening the map in doombuilder. Man do I feel stupid.

Memfis, your mapping approach is OK, but

NoisyVelvet said:

I came to the false but obvious conclusion that the map was broken... and then I found the actual solution after opening the map in doombuilder.

don't make the map appear and things end up this way! It's the only real bad thing connected with this approach.

I made that room with the hidden switch exactly because I was hoping that it will stop some players from progressing further. I also liked when people couldn't finish my legends.wad due to that teleporter "puzzle". It's fun, it adds an element of mystery. Did you fuck up or did the author fuck up? You might never know (or you can just look in the editor if you know how to use it). And I find that it's simply a lot more fun to play a villain in Doom Builder. :) Much more fun than being a babysitter that keeps thinking "is there enough ammo? will the player find this weapon? ohhh, I better put ten torches near this door so that everyone notices it for sure!". Hehe.

I wanted to reply and say I loved the map! There were a few moments when I was like WTF Memfis!?! For example it took me a while to find out that the waterfall was a lift... But all in all I liked it a whole lot. Contrary to others I thought the map looked nice, but there were quite a few textures that were misaligned (they weren't bothersome though)

P.S. That crusher teleport trap killed me haha

FDA - A fine map. I love your unmitigated approach to 90's puzzle design and player interaction, including certain tricks and design choices that many would agree are pretty dated, but still endearing; it's part of the reason I don't take issue with the simple visuals. I also got stuck briefly in the hallway with the blue pad, but I knew better than to throw in the towel on a memfis map.

Thanks for making this, Memfis! Your teleporter didn't kill me (only because I had enough health/armor to survive) but later on a caco I shrugged off as harmless and ignored eventually snuck up on me on the other side of the level and shot me through an opening too small for it to pass through. I was positive I'd be safe there, so you got me anyway dude!
Actually I played this in a very old version of Freedoom that's missing lots of sound effects, so maybe I'd have dodged on the sound of incoming fireball...
Have to try again later...