Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sigvatr

Things about Doom you just found out

Going from the central tower is more efficient. When you're up on the castle, you have to come back down normally to go into the plasma secret on the other side of the castle entrance, and then grab the blue key. Reaching the top of the castle takes time as you have to go through an elevator.

You can reach the tower top quickly by jumping to the teleporter at the bottom of the tower.

I always jumped from the central platform. Wow, I didn't know about the torches. I'll have to check if it works both ways on the GBA version of Doom 2, because there were changes to the physics in the engine and the gravity is not the same.

joe-ilya said:

Nope.

I meant they fire 3 times in a row. Like, Fwoosh, Fwoosh, Fwoosh.

Then they take a pause.

Lost souls stop charging when they hit anything, that includes : ammo, weapons, powerups, corpses, etc.

Hoodie said:

I meant they fire 3 times in a row. Like, Fwoosh, Fwoosh, Fwoosh.
Then they take a pause.

Also, they always fire in the same pattern. They fire at your left, your right, then at the center. It's not randomized, so always predictable.

When I was young, possibly so young that I couldn't count yet (or didn't feel like paying too much attention to it), I was under an impression that the Mancubus fired 3 fireballs, then 2, then 3 again - and this misconception stayed in my mind for quite a long time.

Piper Maru said:

I'm probably wrong, but I think Doom 64 has one or two light amplification visors in the entire game.

Map02 and Map08, IIRC.

And it wasn't until I started working on my Doom 64 secrets section in my FAQ that I found the Light Goggles in Map08.

Im not sure if this is a node issue, but when you IDCLIP into a wall at a long enough distance from an arachnotron (or presumably any enemy) it will shoot as though it can see you, even though it technically shouldn't. If you allow it to walk close enough, it will not be able to see you, which is what leads me to beleive it's not a result of poor nodebuilding. Anyone else seen this?

I've seen enemies attempt to attack while in the void myself, perhaps something to do with blockmap or segs?

Piper Maru said:

I'm probably wrong, but I think Doom 64 has one or two light amplification visors in the entire game.

isn't that true for doom1/doom2? especially the second one, i'm probabaly wrong but I can't remember a single one

In Doom 2 v1.666, there were also light goggles in MAP05, but they removed it. EDIT: Actually only in multiplayer, and they're still there in v1.9, so I was wrong.

Unpegged lower textures aren't aligned properly if they are under a sky ceiling, presumably because of an unrelated hack.

GLBoom+ doesn't take it into account, so you can see the effect here:

peach freak said:

Map02 and Map08, IIRC.

And it wasn't until I started working on my Doom 64 secrets section in my FAQ that I found the Light Goggles in Map08.

Now I'm going to have to take a look at that FAQ.

Guest Unregistered account

Holy crap... THIS... I never knew of anything LIKE this until I decided to take a NoClip tour around Level 17 of Evolution!

OMGWAT
(For those who don't know, the walls read "TOM" and "NIN".)

I mean... WAT!?

Linguica said:

No good place to post this, so: a little article about the entity reference systems in Doom, Quake, and Doom 3 http://blog.noctua-software.com/entity-references.html

Slightly inaccurate. And by slightly, I mean highly, with respect to Doom anyways.

Doom monsters do NOT remove references to objects that are about to delete themselves. Nor in fact will they remove a reference to an object that HAS deleted itself.

Plain fact of the matter: Doom constantly accesses freed memory while running the thinker loop. We're currently dealing with some of the fallout of this, and how it can cause demos to desync, over on the choco doom github if you're really interested.

Piper Maru said:

Now I'm going to have to take a look at that FAQ.

The Map02 Goggles are out in the open, while Map08's are in a secret area just beyond the Chaingun trap (the wall on the left across from the door).

In TNT Map11, in deathmatch all action happens inside the crate storage you can't get out of. In single player at the start you activate a trigger that makes it possible to get in and out of that building.