Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Zulk RS

Wads with heavy stories?

Yeah who needs quality when you have delicious rotten pig slop *slams face into a steaming hot plate of DTS-T*

As far as story wads go, I always liked Phocas Island 2's story, and how most of it was told in bits and pieces as you went along, ultimately leading up to a "Good" ending which was still bittersweet.

Caleb13 said:

many maps with really nice visuals are being made

I must be living in some other reality then, as I see amateurish nonsense and "hi DW I've just learned how to open Doom Builder!" most of the time. Oh well...

Complaining about "forgettable" modern maps with people like Ribbiks, skillsaw (and quite promising "novice mappers" like tourniquet, for instance) etc etc on board is utterly hypocritical I think, yet who am I to judge, right. I can only enjoy endless series of arenas with perpetual slaughtery grind.

Winter's Fury had something more or less developed I'd say. Even some sort of intrigue on display.

Demonologist said:

Complaining about "forgettable" modern maps with people like Ribbiks, skillsaw etc etc on board is utterly hypocritical...

Hypocritical? More like pointless. I mean seriously, who in the real world cares about visuals in mods for 20+ years old games? The real world cares about new games, and modern game graphics is light years ahead to anything Doom engine can produce, no matter how intricate the map design is. Does anyone really play Doom for visuals? Sure, nice map design is always a definitive plus, but in the end, it is about killing monsters and reaching the exit.

Ironically, the said "our mapping is superior" clique intensely hates the mod that actually did most to popularize "modern" Doom gaming in the real world: Brutal Doom...

Demonologist said:

I can only enjoy endless series of arenas with perpetual slaughtery grind.

Oh, so slaughter maps like Stardate or Slaughterfest are considered inferior, too. Good to know.

Meh, I guess I will just listen to my own advice (discussions about Doom mods are pretty much pointless from the real world perspective). And this this not the right place for that, anyway. [exits thread]

who in the real world cares about visuals in mods for 20+ years old games?

Clearly, the members of a community built around said game, judging from the numerous posts I've seen reflecting such. Nice try using the "real world" as a comparison as if suddenly posting on Doomworld means you aren't part of said real world. People generally appreciate skillfully crafted architecture and aesthetics made within a relatively (to something like modern games) limited framework that their favorite game is designed upon.

Sure, nice map design is always a definitive plus, but in the end, it is about killing monsters and reaching the exit.

You can distill anything down to the bare essentials if you try hard enough. Playing video games is all about clicking buttons and making pretty colors flash on a screen.

Ironically, the said "our mapping is superior" clique intensely hates the mod that actually did most to popularize "modern" Doom gaming in the real world: Brutal Doom...

Who are the members of this "clique" of yours? I've seen several references to this group but maybe one indirect accusation of who is in it.

There are a lot of people who dislike brutal doom for the gameplay changes it makes, if every one of them were members of some shadowy organization, it probably would classify as a community in itself. What is your point here anyway? That some people are unappreciative of a mod founded on stolen or borrowed assets and code which alters careful gameplay balance and results in their work being criticised for said incompatibility as if this mod should be the new standard to base their work on?

Why don't you point out the members of this cabal, coward?

I mean seriously, who in the real world cares about visuals in mods for 20+ years old games? Does anyone really play Doom for visuals?

*raises hand*

I still play this game in God mode with infinite ammo. Who the hell cares about gameplay?

Caleb13 said:

after all, Cacowards are controlled by certain "our mapping is superior to everybody else and if you don't agree you're wrong" clique of mappers...

Actually Brutal Doom won a Cacoward.

Memfis said:

I dunno, from my experience "quality" gets boring after some years of playing. Most modern-style "good" wads fail to catch my imagination: I can play them without too much annoyances, note that they are "professionally" made and that's it, after that typically I have nothing else to talk about. Then I click on "random file" on /idgames, get some crappy ugly-looking unbalanced 1994 map and suddenly I feel like I'm actually having an experience of some kind. I've already seen meticulously aligned textures, well thought thing placement, carefully tested levels, etc many times. Not really impressive anymore. Crap is king.

Hmm, thoughts like these make me wonder if Mock2-ish "jokewads with good gameplay" need to make a comeback.

To go back to the OP's question, Phocas Island 2 is super-good. Dunno if the story would be considered "heavy" since the actual plot reveals are spaced really far out (which is good since half the awesome is the mysteriousness of everything), but it's probably the best in terms of quality.

Years ago I made a little megawad called UAC Rebellion about a crazy marine (the player) noticing friends going missing and putting the pieces together that the UAC is conducting genetic experiments on unwilling individuals and working on illegal inter-dimensional teleportation and all that stuff.

You get pages of story every 2-3 maps that explain exactly what's going on. It's not exactly a "heavy" story - In fact it's very campy (which some people didn't seem to realize was intentional) but you may get some enjoyment out of it despite some design flaws, like rooms that are too crammed and marines blissfully wandering out onto lava and not getting hurt, but it's not meant to be taken too seriously. There are 10 normal maps and 5 secret maps.

If you decide to give it a whirl, I hope you have fun with it! (In a way, it was my belated answer to Doom: Rampage Edition, which sucked really hard, but I did like the idea of mowing through hordes of marines.. Heheheh..)

EDIT: Just realized years late, nowhere does it say it's a ZDoom-based wad! PRBoom will cause los of glitches and oddities with this one because it uses clusters for the story text and MAPINFO and all that jazz.

Hmm, thoughts like these make me wonder if Mock2-ish "jokewads with good gameplay" need to make a comeback.

cif4

the people demand it

On 5/17/2015 at 7:47 PM, Doomkid said:

EDIT: Just realized years late, nowhere does it say it's a ZDoom-based wad! PRBoom will cause los of glitches and oddities with this one because it uses clusters for the story text and MAPINFO and all that jazz.

I could never figure out why my copy of DSDA couldn't play it, that explains alot.